• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

IQ: Psychologist Test for Mathematical Insight

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
give me more brain tests.

Your wish is my command.

This is a test used by Psychologist's to determine:

Mathematical Insight

1. Smith Family: In the Smith family, there are 7 sisters and each sister has 1 brother. If you count Mr. Smith, how many males are there in the Smith family?

2. Water lilies: Water lilies double in area every 24 hours. At the beginning of summer there is one water lily on the lake. It takes 60 days for the lake to become completely covered with water lilies. On which day is the lake half covered?

3. Socks: If you have black socks and brown socks in your drawer, mixed in a ratio of 4 to 5, how many socks will you have to take out to make sure that you have a pair the same color?

4. Eyes: Yesterday I went to the zoo and saw the giraffes and ostriches. Altogether they had 30 eyes and 44 legs. How many animals were there?

5. Horse: A man bought a horse for $60 and sold it for $70. Then he bought it back for $80 and sold it for $90. How much did he make or lose in the horse trading business?

6. Weights: There are ten bags, each containing ten weights, all of which look identical. In nine of the bags each weight is 16 ounces, but in one of the bags the weights are actually 17 ounces each. How is it possible, in a single weighing on an accurate weighing scale, to determine which bag contains the 17-ounce weights?

7. Price: What is the minimum number of coins you need to be able to pay the exact price of any item costing anywhere from one cent up to one dollar? The coins are pennies (1 cent), nickels (5 cents), dimes (10 cents), quarters (25 cents) and half dollars (50 cents)?

8. Frog: A frog fell into a well thirty-two feet deep. Each day he jumped two feet up the wall and slid back down one foot each night. How many days did it take him to jump out of the well?

9. Coins: Which would be worth more, a pound of $10 pure gold coins or half a pound of $20 pure gold coins; or would they be worth the same? Explain your answer.

10. Earth: It is estimated that the earth weighs 6 sextillion tons. How much more would the earth weigh if 1 sextillion tons of concrete and stone were used to build a wall?

11. Fill in the blank:
2, 4, 6, 30, 32, 34, 36, 40, 42, 44, 46, 50, 52, 54, 56, 60, 62, 64, 66, ___?

12. A man had a 2 dollar bill and wanted to buy a train ticket that cost 3 dollars. He took the 2 dollar bill to a pawn shop where he pawned it for $1.50. On the way to the train station, he met a friend to whom he sold the pawn ticket for $1.50. He then had 3 dollars with which to buy his ticket. Who was out the extra dollar?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Shouldn't question 5 be:

I got 6 out of 12 right.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Shouldn't question 5 be:

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Hmmm, I will definitely grant a prize if someone finds an error ;)

That would be delicious!
[MENTION=4660]Osprey[/MENTION] [MENTION=23915]Hawthorne[/MENTION]

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Actually, it makes more sense to me if

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actually, it makes more sense to me if

I prefer to play bank in my head: See $60 going out, then $70 going in, then $80 going out, then $90 going in.
[MENTION=27162]Cloudpatrol[/MENTION]: these are rather better than the others.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
i got 4 and 8 right the rest um i'm not good at math.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Shouldn't question 5 be:

I got 6 out of 12 right.

For this one I just visualized it on an x axis and started at point 0, moving back and forth accordingly with each transaction. If you start at 60 (which I did at first), it's easier to get tripped up.
[MENTION=27162]Cloudpatrol[/MENTION], I'll do the rest at my lunch break today.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The wording on number 1 tripped me up at first.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The wording on number 1 tripped me up at first.
The math in these is trivial. Many are as much based in language as those on the other test. The only one I did not get is 11, the series, because of the nature of the series as described in the spoiler.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The math in these is trivial. Many are as much based in language as those on the other test. The only one I did not get is 11, the series, because of the nature of the series as described in the spoiler.

Yeah, these aren't tests for mathematicians so much as they're tests for people with lawyers' minds.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
4 is easy

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
10 is also a no-brainer

I tend to overthink these things.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to overthink these things.
Yes - especially when the answers are very obvious. I start thinking that it can't be that simple, I must be missing something, but I'm not.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member

Yes, I think this is because the tests were designed by Psychologist's and are heavily slanted toward's people's basic comprehension/insight.

BTW, you found an error in the other one. Do you want a mailed prize - prize in the form of acknowledgement - or something else of your choosing (within reason ;))

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes - especially when the answers are very obvious. I start thinking that it can't be that simple, I must be missing something, but I'm not.

Yeah that tendency always fucked me up on school tests. Even multiple choice

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I think this is because the tests were designed by Psychologist's and are heavily slanted toward's people's basic comprehension/insight.

BTW, you found an error in the other one. Do you want a mailed prize - prize in the form of acknowledgement - or something else of your choosing (within reason ;))
How about a song in the "dedicate a song to another member" thread?

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
6 out of 12, I'm not brilliant with math, though I am not really convinced with the horse answer, because I counted the net worth in the end of the day :shrug: