• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are good people more likely to be depressed ?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I don't want to force the answer on people but the question is genuine and it comes from observing people.

Are genuinely good people observably more likely to be depressed ?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't think genuinely good people are more depressed. I do think that people that place a lot of emphasis or worry on being a "good" person may have a tendency to develop anxiety or depression. Their definition of what a "good" person is can also be off the rails too - that may be more of the problem. That also comes from my own observations of people, it's in no way a proven fact.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All kinds of people can have depression, bad people might be bad because they have unsolved issues that causes depression thus they trasnsform it into bad actions, or because of the consequences of their bad actions too.. Eventhough they might appear strong and happy from the outside

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
I don't want to force the answer on people but the question is genuine and it comes from observing people.

Are genuinely good people observably more likely to be depressed ?

Depression can affect anyone. I have a brother who would seem to epitomize spontaneity, connection to the moment and drive. He is the kind of guy who seems transparent, focused and highly unlikely to be depressed. But, if there is one thing I have learned in life (and in fact now cultivate) it would be that appearances can be deceiving. He is struggling with underlying health issues and a lack of acknowledgment for the effort he puts into his work.

And it is a slight aside, but remember that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Not everybody hates ISIS...or considers free speech to be a human right.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
All kinds of people can have depression, bad people might be bad because they have unsolved issues that causes depression thus they trasnsform it into bad actions, or because of the consequences of their bad actions too.. Eventhough they might appear strong and happy from the outside

This has occured to me as well. However when I look at people that really try or want be good I often seem to see many more signs of depression in them. For example the sunday church thing often strikes me as a mass therapy session for depressed people. I don't go there but this simply screams to me out of such events.

On the other hand I regenerate quckly when listening to disturbing or dark music.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Depression a withdrawal from,
That which pays a measly sum,
Into the mind, one plunges deep,
To find a jewel worthy to keep.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, depression can be spawned from feelings of lack of control and inability for situations to improve. And sitting around cycling thoughts is sometimes a fall-back position if you feel you can't control the external world and thus your own fate. People who wield power easily (or are more assertive or even aggressive) "make their own world" and seem to not need to enter the depressive cycle at least in that regard; people who might not want to assert themselves for some reason or another (possibly being more self-effacing) might be more prone to dropping back into a depressive stance. Instead of having to wrestle with the possibility of dominating/infringing on others, they just emotionally immolate themselves.

However, there are various roots of depression, and not all stems from this kind of thing. it can be a response to external situations; a genetic/chemistry-related susceptibility; or some other root cause -- even multiple causes. So you can't really make an across-the-board statement.