• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you deal with people who mistake affluence for intelligence?

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How does this affect you (beyond say, pride)?

How does this affect you (beyond say, pride)?

Sometimes you wish to change/alter their opinions, but they tend not to listen because they only trust information from "official" sources affluence can be a signal that lends credibility to a source for such people.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Isn't this pretty much an issue with society as a whole, not just individuals?

boomslang

friendly and accessible
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sometimes you wish to change/alter their opinions, but they tend not to listen because they only trust information from "official" sources affluence can be a signal that lends credibility to a source for such people.

Don't waste your time. Life is too short.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Right. They don't listen. So I don't deal with them, I don't know why anyone would, knowing this going in.

Right. They don't listen. So I don't deal with them, I don't know why anyone would, knowing this going in.

What if it is an employer or someone who is using some other kind of leverage to try to coerce you and you wish to explain, but in a tactful way?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
What if it is an employer or someone who is using some other kind of leverage to try to coerce you and you wish to explain, but in a tactful way?

Then do it tactfully. Without more specifics, I can't tell you what I would say.

Last edited:

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't waste my time with them

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
I mean my first thought would be "show, don't tell". If you've got an intelligent idea, then you can go through all the steps that affluent people have gone through to verify it. You probably don't have the ability to conduct your own research, of course, but you can find the research of others and you can poke holes in the research of people you disagree with.

However, that might only work with people who were evaluating things based on the actual content of the research to begin with. If they aren't, you might have to Socratic method them a bit, ask them what they think makes 90% of scientists so special. You might also have to dig into the emotional motivations for their stubbornness.. Many people have invested a good bit of their identities into the way they think and believe, and so would need to develop a circle of friends that don't connect to such ideas or that are more intellectually open in order to feel safe changing their ideas. Some people have their own emotional experiences that have fixed their beliefs on a topic (the families of black people killed by police aren't going to be easy to convince that cops aren't racist, for instance), so in their case you may want to expose them to new and different horrific shit to literally blast their minds open--going back to the parenthetical about families, maybe show some graphic footage of blacks being killed by other blacks, or take them through the real life and decisions of a police officer with a video documentary or by getting them and a police officer to become friends or something. Shit like that.

Basically, understand why they think the way they do, and meet them there. Is my guess.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
tumblr_inline_mn0ve7cywG1qz4rgp.gif

Do this with your source.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
it usually doesn't bother me unless they're like i'm a genius hurr hurr hurr. and it's like no you're not i'm smarter than you and i'm not a genius so if i am smarter than you and i'm not a genius then you can't be either.