• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

STRESS: How Each Type Responds & How to Help

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I care less about having incompetent coworkers than accidentally doing something incompetent myself. That's the bigger stressor.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ESFP – The Performer​

What stresses out an ESFP:
– An environment of rigidly enforced rules
– Long-term planning
– Having to think far into the future
– Being forced to make commitments and plans
– Criticism or confrontation
– Feeling out of control
– Being asked to complete tasks without detailed directions or processes
– Lack of hands-on experiences
– Too much time alone
– Too much book work, theory, or writing
– Having to sit still for too long

When ESFPs experience stress, they may become passively resistant initially. They might become bored and feel empty and listless. They may try to develop skills that will annoy the people who they feel are causing them this stress. ESFPs may retaliate from stress by becoming self-destructive, regressing emotionally, and acting in an immature fashion. In the case of chronic stress, ESFPs may become in the grip of their inferior function, introverted intuition, and become highly exaggerative, dramatically foretelling the doom that the future will hold. They may see hidden meanings and visions of despair for the future, and misinterpret things people say. This is highly uncharacteristic for an ESFP, since they are usually very present minded and optimistic.

How to help an ESFP experiencing stress:
– Listen thoughtfully and patiently
– Give them space initially to sort out their feelings, but be ready to talk to them as ESFPs are often helped by talking things through.
– Understand that they will be irrational. Be patient with this.
– Don’t tell them how to fix it. This makes them feel more helpless.
– Encourage them to exercise or spend some time outdoors.
– Tell them what they are doing well.

I would add : Not being in a positive and playful environment,

Not being allowed to express creative ideas,

Lack of trust from others and lack of encouragement,

Too much time alone

Those 3 are not true for me.

I need a lot of time alone to think over some subject, make plans (for 1 or 2 weeks),

I do enjoy theories and books and I'd die without opening several books in my day/night time.

If staying still allows me to communicate, observe and draw conclusions I enjoy the moment.

As for writing is also a more than just a hobby to me, it clears my head and regularly helps me with my priorities and feelings.

I love teaching others' how to become more conscious of their own state of mind,

desires, and priorities too.

It's part of a creative thinking process to me.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I would add : Not being in a positive and playful environment,

Not being allowed to express creative ideas,

Lack of trust from others and lack of encouragement,

Too much time alone

Those 3 are not true for me.

I need a lot of time alone to think over some subject, make plans (for 1 or 2 weeks),

I do enjoy theories and books and I'd die without opening several books in my day/night time.

If staying still allows me to communicate, observe and draw conclusions I enjoy the moment.

As for writing is also a more than just a hobby to me, it clears my head and regularly helps me with my priorities and feelings.

I love teaching others' how to become more conscious of their own state of mind,

desires, and priorities too.

It's part of a creative thinking process to me.

What did you think about the suggested ways to HELP a ESFP when they are under stress? Were those accurate?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Thank you Cloudy!!! :)

I am INFP.

edit: maybe ISFP

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Thank you Cloudy!!! :)

I am INFP.

edit: maybe ISFP

yay_zpsddubr4vl.gif

DB968

Ginger Snap
ISTJ under stress, angry and critical, a good thing I'm not armed. :happy2:

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ISTJ under stress, angry and critical, a good thing I'm not armed. :happy2:

Of this describes me. I'm stressed so if I seem angry and critical rn, then that's why lol.

drISTJ

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Pretty much all of it. Hook up that massage.
I'm an ISTJ female and my research mentor is an ENTP male. I love how his ENTPness gives me visions on what novel research to do next and he always helps me to think innovatively and 'out of the box'/out from the 'tried an true' box that I'm usually in. But it drives me crazy whenever he doesn't care about the details (when I told him his idea can't be done due to budgeting constraint) and when I try to talk some sense into him when he's being irrational with his ideas. The thing is, they are always very grand ideas most people won't think about, and they always sound like a very interesting ground-breaking project to do but most of the time can't be done if he doesn't want to compromise a little bit and change it so it becomes a more practical research plan.
As an ISTJ, I truly need some good advice on dealing with ENTP boss because I can't keep feeling like I'm the downer of the group whenever I try to bring some practicality into our research projects.

Jetta

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
INTP Stress

STRESSORS:

• Being boxed in and constrained by responsibilities
  • Being forced to do un-challenging and repetitive work
  • Working with incompetent, chatty people
  • Teamwork
  • Supervising others and monitoring their work
  • Too much extraverting
  • Emotionally charged situations
  • Being underappreciated for their abilities and contribution
  • People invading their space
  • INTP money issues

STRESS RESPONSE:

• Withdrawal and quietness; increased irritability
  • Excessive thinking and cogitating with emphasis on logic; paralysis of analysis
  • Intellectually combative and increasingly insensitive to emotional climate
  • Emotional outbursts
  • Feelings of not being liked or appreciated
  • Forgetfulness, disorganization, confusion
  • Passive aggressiveness
  • Sarcastic and mean remarks
  • Vagueness, distractibility, disorganization

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Idealists
The Idealists make up 10-15% of the population. They are known for their love of people, and their search to find identity and meaning.

INFP – The Healer

What stresses out an INFP:
– Rigidity in rules and timelines
– Having values violated
– Not enough time alone. Too much extraverting.
– Too many demands on their time
– Small-talk
– A lack of authenticity from others
– Having their creativity stifled
– Having to focus too extensively on sensory/concrete details
– Criticism or confrontation
– Fear that they might lose someone or something (relationship/task, etc,..)

When under stress, an INFP gets lost in internal turmoil. They feel caught between pleasing others and maintaining their own integrity and taking care of their well-being. Their natural tendency to identify with others, compounded with their self-sacrificial tendencies, leaves them confused about who they really are. They feel lost and perplexed during stressful times; and as stress builds they can fall into the grip of their inferior function, extraverted thinking. When this happens, they will do things that are typically out of character. They may become obsessed with fixing perceived problems, and righting wrongs. They may blurt out hostile thoughts or engage in destructive fantasies directed at just about anyone available. They also may have biting sarcasm and cynicism. They may become aggressively critical to others and themselves, dwelling on all the “facts” necessary to support their overwhelming sense of failure.

How to help an INFP experiencing stress:
– Give them space and time alone to sort out their feelings.
– Validate their feelings.
– Remind them of their strengths.
– Don’t give them advice. This will only make them feel worse.
– Let them “get away” from it all.
– Exercise can help. However, with these types it’s best not to suggest it when they are stressed, but after, as a solution.
– Forgive them if they’ve been overly critical while stressed.
– Let them work on a project they’ve been interested in, but maybe have been too busy to spend time on.

This is mostly accurate, except I don't have destructive fantasies directed towards people (I assume they mean imagining awful scenarios with people in your life), and I don't think I become aggressively critical to others. When I feel attacked, I attack them with what I know. I don't shout but I have a tendency to point a lot of things out to them about themselves, but only if I feel they've really hurt me and blame me for their problems which rarely happens. If my stress doesn't have to do with people, I don't really go after people I just end up being in my own head a lot. I start to question myself and abilities, and I just brood about that for a while. If it's a fear of loss I tend to feel really anxious about the relationship. Enjoying it, but thinking about how they could leave in the back of my mind. I might talk to them about it if I don't think I'd be judged, because it's not that I need them to stay, I've always been okay on my own. I, just want them to... :3

It's simple. Leave me the fuck alone. If we fight lmfa. If I'm stressing hardcore lmfa. If I'm being swamped by people lmfa. I'll come back sorted and strong. If I was being unreasonable or pig headed I'll apologize and come at an issue with many angles explored. Don't try and resolve everything right then right there or l'll lose my shit and things will be said that could've been avoided if I was allowed to cool down.

I don't want advice unless I ask. I spend enough time with my own thoughts and emotions that I'll sort it out- eventually. No it's not a two way street. I'll listen and mostly try and get you to come at something from another direction but I'll only offer advice if asked. That being said don't expect me to open up about things unless we're extremely close and even then it's probably not going to happen frequently.