• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

contemplation of violence

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I have had extreme self-control when it's come to inflicting violence in my 38 years of age. I'm not a noob to violent activities though. I've taken the good side where one exercises self-control, forgiveness and consideration.

At times I practiced some sort of self defence system. Later I used a psychological, self-learned system which was great.

Now I'm starting to get angry again of people stealing booze of the local stores, and I'm contemplating of learning those old systems again. I could easily pretend the booze stealing guys started it and I just got caught in the middle of it. I could exercise my self defence skills again. I would really love it. Should I do it?

In part I'm sad for contemplating this violence. But, I'm not gonna be saint about this. I would love to kick ass on the premise of supporting property rights.

Yay or nay?

Mole

Permabanned
Liberal democracy is based on the limitation of power, and in particular the limitation of violence.

Violence is limited in many ways such as limited to self defence, or limited to police.

For instance, we have limited gun violence by gun control in 1996, and since then we have had not one gun massacre.

It seems you have a visceral desire to assert yourself by harming others. But rather than acting out your desire you might like to discuss your desire with a psychologist and find out where your desire comes from and what it means.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Yeah, that's probably a really bad idea. If you want to be violent, why not try some sort of contact sport like boxing, football, etc?

Mole

Permabanned

Follow the Yellow Brick Road over the rainbow until you come to the land of Oz, a land in another season, a land in another time, a land of marsupials, where it is plain we are no longer in Kansas.

Let your imagination run riot, only limited by common decency and reality. Find yourself in another world, where we wonder, will we ever see home again?

Mole

Permabanned
The description of no gun violence since 1996 doesn't match any of the countries I believe Mole is from.

In 1996 our Prime Minister, John Howard, fronted a large crowd and the National Rifle Association and banned guns across a whole Continent and half of another. We did have intelligence that the gun lovers might try and assassinate our Prime Minister, but John Howard was not intimidated but wore, for the first time in our history, and as Prime Minister, a bullet proof vest under his suit.

And it turns out the banning of guns is one of the most popular decisions made by our government. Nonetheless the Americans still try to subvert our democracy, and the latest attempt was to bring into Oz shotguns that technically follow our gun rules but are in fact automatic weapons.

The price of liberty, I am told, is eternal vigilance.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
In 1996 our Prime Minister, John Howard, fronted a large crowd and the National Rifle Association and banned guns across a whole Continent and half of another. We did have intelligence that the gun lovers might try and assassinate our Prime Minister, but John Howard was not intimidated but wore, for the first time in our history, and as Prime Minister, a bullet proof vest under his suit.

And it turns out the banning of guns is one of the most popular decisions made by our government. Nonetheless the Americans still try to subvert our democracy, and the latest attempt was to bring into Oz shotguns that technically follow our gun rules but are in fact automatic weapons.

The price of liberty, I am told, is eternal vigilance.
Oh you're from there, I get you.
Now that I've had the chance to think I decided against premeditated violence.

On another matter, have I told how much I hate such half-wisdoms such as "violence doesn't solve anything"?

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Now I'm starting to get angry again of people stealing booze of the local stores, and I'm contemplating of learning those old systems again. I could easily pretend the booze stealing guys started it and I just got caught in the middle of it. I could exercise my self defence skills again. I would really love it. Should I do it?

In part I'm sad for contemplating this violence. But, I'm not gonna be saint about this. I would love to kick ass on the premise of supporting property rights.

Yay or nay?

I guess I don't understand why you think it's okay that you can punish people for their immorality (theft) by doing something else immoral (premeditated assualt) in turn? How does giving up your artfully preserved self-control fix the situation in the long run? What happens the next time you find someone behaving immorally or better yet, what happens when someone sees you behaving immorally and decides to inact their own form of punishment?

I guess the cut and dry of it is, from my reading, you're just looking for an avenue to release some pent up aggression but trying to legitimize it through some self-righteous lens. So I'll just echo [MENTION=6554]/DG/[/MENTION]'s suggestion of resuming self-defense or taking up a contact sport so you can still get the same result without the risk of it coming back to bite you in the ass.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Maybe the general intelligence of a state could increase if you ban guns. Cause if you have no guns, your mind must be the weapon. And your muscles.

Mole

Permabanned
Maybe the general intelligence of a state could increase if you ban guns. Cause if you have no guns, your mind must be the weapon. And your muscles.

It's more serious than that. The rule of law depends first on a citizenry that trusts the rule of law enough to disarm militias.

The USA Constitution mandates armed militias, and in a society based on extreme individualism this has been generalised to mean the arming of individuals.

So we take our choice: the rule of law or armed individuals. We have made our choice in Oz and have chosen the rule of law.

Mole

Permabanned
Regarding humans, I doubt it is ever more serious than that. They just make it so

You posit the problem as between guns as a weapon or the mind as a weapon, civilisation is larger than that, and civilisation posits the problem as between armed individuals and trust in the rule of law.

I am repeatedly surprised to hear Americans say, they need guns because they can't rely on the police to arrive in time to enforce the law. This maybe because Americans have a multiplicity of police forces that are less interested in enforcing the rule of law as in enforcing local prejudices, such as white racism against the descendants of slaves.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You posit the problem as between guns as a weapon or the mind as a weapon, civilisation is larger than that, and civilisation posits the problem as between armed individuals and trust in the rule of law.

I am repeatedly surprised to hear Americans say, they need guns because they can't rely on the police to arrive in time to enforce the law. This maybe because Americans have a multiplicity of police forces that are less interested in enforcing the rule of law as in enforcing local prejudices, such as white racism against the descendants of slaves.

In the end what does it matter? let them shoot theirselves. Its not our problem.

Trash Panda

Retired
I have had extreme self-control when it's come to inflicting violence in my 38 years of age. I'm not a noob to violent activities though. I've taken the good side where one exercises self-control, forgiveness and consideration.

At times I practiced some sort of self defence system. Later I used a psychological, self-learned system which was great.

Yay or nay?

You have a personal issue with people stealing alcohol, specifically..?