• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why should I care about the functions?!

T

ThatGirl

Ok on cognitive functions I test as an INTP. Spend one minute in front of me and you would understand the reason I dont put too much stock in these things.

So every one is Ee this and Pt that.

I am fairly new to the whole MBTI thing but I have pretty much learned to type someone in RL on the spot. I will even give someone the test and when their profile comes back absurd I will just hand them the one I think and they are amazed by the accuracy.

So why the functions? They seem to differ depending on situation and are highly inconsistant.

heart

heart on fire
Jung's system is totally based on the functions and more reliable than MBTI.

redacted

You should care about the functions because even people who don't fit the profiles fit the functions.

The functions are more exact, and you can accurately move from function preference to type. You cannot accurately move from the four separate dichotomies to the functions.

The dichotomies pit things like Thinking and Feeling against each other when they are not in opposition. Thinking depends on Feeling and vice versa. Ditto for Sensing and Intuition.

Also, just because you took a function test and didn't get the right results doesn't mean you should throw out the theory. All tests are going to be unreliable.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Ok on cognitive functions I test as an INTP. Spend one minute in front of me and you would understand the reason I dont put too much stock in these things.

So every one is Ee this and Pt that.

I am fairly new to the whole MBTI thing but I have pretty much learned to type someone in RL on the spot. I will even give someone the test and when their profile comes back absurd I will just hand them the one I think and they are amazed by the accuracy.

So why the functions? They seem to differ depending on situation and are highly inconsistant.
Yeah, I came out twice as an INTP, and there's no way I'm a P.
I think the functions have some validity and are worth understanding,
but the online test doesn't work well enough to give accurate answers.
Not asking the right questions.

T

ThatGirl

Ok Im going off now to read the functions I will be back with observations.

T

ThatGirl

Decided my main functions are Se Ne Fi Ti what does that make me?

heart

heart on fire
Which one do you lean on the most? What's your automatic pilot?

T

ThatGirl

Ne was the only one I dont really think about or plan for I just do

Although when walking into any new situation Se is all over the place too

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
Both are B.S. really... they are fun, they explain some things in laymen's terms, but neither are reliable or testable.

heart

heart on fire
Ne was the only one I dont really think about or plan for I just do

Although when walking into any new situation Se is all over the place too

From reading your posts I would say you were Ne dominant, but only you know you the best.

So ENxP

Then if you could decide which judging function feels most comfortable for you, you would have your two foremost functions.

T

ThatGirl

ENXP Lol!

Shouldnt these line up with our obvious types?

Or is it life you are but you dont know you are?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
uah, does not matter where you go, you always find a ThatGirl post :D

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
ENXP Lol!

My functions don't line up with any particular type, either. My functions are Te/Fi/Ne/Se. I'm probably just a mutant.

I settled for ENTJ because Te is my dominant judging function, I'm not an introvert (so I'm not INTJ), and I'm definitely not an SJ (so I'm not ESTJ).

heart

heart on fire
ENXP Lol!

To my way of thinking, knowing the functions for one's self is the whole point to MBTI/Jung's personality systems. The functions are the way to learn how we use our intelligence and where our weaknesses are and such. A tool for self discovery. Focusing on function rather than behavior seems the best use for the system. Otherwise(and we've all done it) just get too much into pidgeon holing people. Only the person in question knows their true preferences. When we type people from the outside, it's all just guesses.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
My opinion: We'd be better off if Keirsey were born before Jung or Meyers. Throw the functions in the trash, they are extraneous and problematic.

T

ThatGirl

Hm, I just know that I am ENTP word for word on any given discription....although I often get frusterated with the interpretations of where the behavior comes from the overall discription is dead on.

Yet somehow my functions never align.

I guess not everyone fits into such a box.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Tests only tell you what you value, because when you answer questions you're subconsciously painting yourself into (under?) what you perceive to be a "good" light.

Care about the functions if they interest you, which they should.. but don't obsess over your type. Just learn about the functions.. they're cool.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Functions are a lot like Astrology in actual practice. You tell someone "you are x, that's why you do this," and they say "oh yeah, that makes sense." Yet you can't usually decipher someone's functions without prior knowledge. Think about it.

heart

heart on fire
The tests just measure what a person's preferences are, not how well they've developed any preferences.