• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bullying

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was bullied as a child and in my early teens. Looking back on it, everything was just really ridiculous. It mostly annoyed me more than anything. But then again, I was VERY irritable from about the ages 10-14, so it makes perfect sense that I saw bullies as annoying.

I don't understand why people bully though. It's literally never made any sense to me.

Once I got into high school, I just flew under the radar so there was really no reason for anyone to pick on me.

I was probably singled out because I was small, physically week, and terrible at socializing with kids my own age. I also didn't play sports because I was so unathletic that I would've been miserable. I think a lot of kids seemed to gain really strong friend networks through sports, so they wouldn't get bullied because they had a lot of friends who would stick up for them. I just didn't have a lot in common with a lot of other kids. Most of this just resulted in a feeling of neutrality, but it sadly also became hostility.

I just didn't get aspects of child culture either. Like I would get really confused when someone would drop a plate at lunch and people would point and go "ooooooooh" . My reaction was always "Huh? This makes no sense. What are you people doing?" Apparantly, I was just supposed to understand this. To this day, I don't get it. That was probably also a part of it.

I also suspect I was the kid who parents told their kids to be nice to.....

But, it doesn't really impact my life nowadays. It's what it was, and it was petty and stupid. The only case of bullying that still actively makes me angry is the year I was harshly singled out and bullied by a teacher. This was hands-down the lowest point of my life. I had nightmares about the woman for four years.

Deprecator

I think a lot of kids seemed to gain really strong friend networks through sports, so they wouldn't get bullied because they had a lot of friends who would stick up for them.
Regardless of how many friends you have, if you think you're better than the other kids and relish the opportunity to prove it on a field of sport, then chances are you'd also welcome the opportunity if someone made the mistake of trying to bully/ pick on you.

Anyways, I was part of various sports teams growing up and often the less skillful players were targeted. Whether you want to call it bullying, playful teasing or all in the spirit of fun and games... who knows. I wouldn't have cared to interfere unless things got physical, just because I felt that with verbal quarreling among peers the other party always had the freedom to walk away/ disengage. Of course, if for whatever reason you really wanted to be part of the group then realizing this as an option wouldn't exactly be intuitive.

I remember on my high school team there was a less skillful player who was a very frequent source of amusement. Another player might tell him "from hence forth you are to call me master", and then another player would think it was funny and tell him "from hence forth you are to call me father superior". While I didn't participate directly, I sure as hell thought it was funny when he put a surprising amount of effort when trying to remember all the titles he was suppose to use when addressing others. I don't know whether he felt like he was being bullied or not, but I think it was because his reactions deviated so much from how anyone else would have reacted that was both the comedic punchline and part of the reason why he was targeted so frequently.

rav3n

Pretty sure the vast majority of people have experienced bullying in school and/or home. Whether or not people have found ways to combat it, will vary per person.

Mole

Permabanned
A life goal of an adolescent is to fit in to conform to the local mores and values. To fail in this life task leaves us vulnerable all throughout our life, so we are bullied and cajoled into conforming to the mores of our society. Bullies are an essential part of our social ecosystem. Bullies are our social police.

Bullies perform an essential social function by enforcing social order.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A life goal of an adolescent is to fit in to conform to the local mores and values. To fail in this life task leaves us vulnerable all throughout our life, so we are bullied and cajoled into conforming to the mores of our society. Bullies are an essential part of our social ecosystem. Bullies are our social police.

Speak for yourself. Counterproductive mores and values should not be emulated and perpetuated. "Social police" can take a leap.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

What on earth did I just read? To begin with, trends keep changing. There is no 'compulsion' to conform, and some become trendsetters at a young age. To 'fail' in this life task distinguishes you from sheep. Bullies are the virus of our social ecosystem, who enforce their entitlement, privilege, ego, and promote various problems- don't even get me started.

There are much better role models to look up to, listen to, and follow- if you really want one.

Mole

Permabanned
What on earth did I just read? To begin with, trends keep changing. There is no 'compulsion' to conform, and some become trendsetters at a young age. To 'fail' in this life task distinguishes you from sheep. Bullies are the virus of our social ecosystem, who enforce their entitlement, privilege, ego, and promote various problems- don't even get me started. There are much better role models to look up to, listen to, and follow- if you really want one.
The animal world is ordered by predators snd parasites just as we are ordered by bullies,

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The animal world is ordered by predators snd parasites just as we are ordered by bullies,

Ordered by bullies? Where? There is more to life than things that take from us, to make such umbrella statements, one can even define humanity as a whole as bullies to the earth. The dynamics of our social structure is vast, bullies is just a part of it. A smaller part, thankfully, that only like-minded people would listen to and follow.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Ordered by bullies? Where? There is more to life than things that take from us, to make such umbrella statements, one can even define humanity as a whole as bullies to the earth. The dynamics of our social structure is vast, bullies is just a part of it. A smaller part, thankfully, that only like-minded people would listen to and follow.

For those obssesed with thier own falacious image as an outcast it is much easier to shout “ everyone else is the same!” than it s to express any truly origional thought.

rav3n

For those obssesed with thier own falacious image as an outcast it is much easier to shout “ everyone else is the same!” than it s to express any truly origional thought.
Did you know that I too experienced formative abuse, whether being beaten or starved by a father with NPD, never mind ongoing emotional abuse? I also experienced attempted rape from a trusted close friend.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Did you know that I too experienced formative abuse, whether being beaten or starved by a father with NPD, never mind ongoing emotional abuse? I also experienced attempted rape from a trusted close friend.

I do now. What’s your point?

My post was in response to Mole’s post, and his general obssesion with his own self-imposed image.

rav3n

I do now. What’s your point?
My point was that most people have experienced bullying of some form, regardless of whether or not they've mentioned their experiences so in some ways, most people are the same. This addresses the contents of your post.

My post was in response to Mole’s post, and his general obssesion with his own self-imposed image.
Okay. I often 'miss' his posts.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
My point was that most people have experienced bullying of some form, regardless of whether or not they've mentioned their experiences so in some ways, most people are the same. This addresses the contents of your post.

Okay. I often 'miss' his posts.

Yeah, “ miss” is a bit of an exggeration. Youbare not missing much.

Mole

Permabanned
Bullies prey on the weak, just like Nature's predators and Nature's parasites.

Mole

Permabanned
I am being bullied by a nurse in the hospital. Somonile bullies elderly white men by picking a fight with her victim and then himiliating him.

I have lodged a formal written complaint with thy hospital but they have failed to address the complaint. The hospital is well known for bullying among the staff but now it extends to patients in their care.

Simonilre. Is clever at picking fights with elderly white patients in her care. Simonile tryed to pick a fight with me with a long diatribe denying the truth of evolution on which modern medicine is based, expecting me to come back and fight her.

I want her to stop abusing elderly white men in her care. I may need to apply for a Court Order to succeed.

Oberon

Permabanned
MBTI Type
*NT*
I'm pretty sure that everyone experiences instances of bullying at some point in their lives. Some deal with it better than others; some head it off at the pass and it becomes just a series of isolated and rare events, whilst others don't manage to neutralize it early enough or at all, and end up being ground down by it for years.

I suffered from ruthless bullying all the way through school and it cut my self-esteem into ribbons and contributed to my spending the first 20 years of my life pretty downtrodden and very isolated.

I've learned that the choice of who gets bullied can be pretty arbitrary and is mainly nothing to do with the actual qualities or characteristics of the victim themselves. But if there is any deciding factor it's this: bullies only pick on people who they believe will not fight back. But the crucial factor in 'successful' bullying is that the victim must not glimpse this thruth: the victim must absolutely believe that they really ARE ugly, dumb, that nobody likes them, that they're not worthy of being treated as a human being. Because if they begin to realize the BS level of what the bullies tell them then they just might start fighting back.

But I've learned that simply losing my temper and yelling doesn't help - it didn't work at school either. If I did that, the bullies would just laugh at me and then I'd feel ten times worse. So the only way to check-mate it is to unleash my inner sadist and throw some barb that makes them feel ten times shittier than they wanted to make me feel. But not everyone has it in them to do this.

Is that it then? It's rather sad if that's it; if the choice is to either bully or be bullied. There must be another way.

I'd like if people here could talk about their experiences of bullying, and if anyone's found a way to deal with it, what is it?

Parents - how do you deal with it when your children get bullied?

I'm interested in comments from people who might be or have been bullies themselves. I want to explore the mindset of both bully and victim, in the hope that I'll be inspired with *something* to tell my 11 year old daughter when she comes home crying again tomorrow :(

In this life, it is inevitable to be a bully and be bullied at some point.

Growing up I was bullied relentlessly, and in turn relentlessly bullied.

The craziest thing that ever happened to me was in third grade, I was pinned down by an 8th grade, and his friend, while a third one shat on me. It wasn't as painful though, or as tramatic, as when, in fourth grade, a highschooler strangled me until I passed out.

This was common growing up in the 90's. There were not many days where I wasn't beaten or chased, and same with my friends.

I grew up in a fairly wealthy neighborhood too, but often times, there would be guns and drugs around too...and in 8th grade, a kid brought a gun to party and put it to the back of my head. He made me kiss the ground and then he put it way.

Stuff like that is pretty normal, or was at least, growing up in the wealthy parts of Illinois.

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Part I. 'Finland found a proven way to combat bullying. Here's what it'll take to make it work in the US' By Dakin Andone, CNN

"In May, a report by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine said young people were staring down a "serious public health problem." But it wasn't drugs they were worried about, or alcohol. It was bullying. Researchers have long looked for a way to prevent bullying in American schools, but the problem persists, and no one can seem to agree on a surefire way to address it. But Finland has piloted a program that has seen widespread success in combating bullying in schools.

It's been translated and licensed to countries across Europe. But some researchers say it wouldn't work in the US. "The United States is a different beast," said Dorothy Espelage, a psychology professor at the University of Florida who studies bullying and harassment. The program is called KiVa -- short for "kiusaamista vastaan," which means "against bullying." The Finnish government helped fund its development and it's now being used in schools throughout the country.

It was developed by educators and researchers at the University of Turku, and multiple studies show it effectively curbs bullying by focusing on classes as a whole, instead of addressing individual bullies and their victims. "The idea is that kids bully to gain status and power," said Julie Hubbard, a psychology professor at the University of Delaware who's studying KiVa's effectiveness with American students.

According to its website, KiVa's curriculum uses lessons and computer games to change that dynamic by focusing on bystanders who witness the bullying. "If you can get the bystanders to focus on the victim and not the bully, then bullying isn't a very rewarding thing to do," Hubbard said. The hope is that this fosters a culture where bullying is socially unacceptable.

I. How effective is it?

A 2016 study conducted by researchers at the University of California Los Angeles surveyed more than 7,000 students between the 4th through 6th grades in nearly 80 Finnish elementary schools. About half the schools received KiVa intervention while the others didn't. Researchers found the program significantly helps victims of bullying, and data even suggested KiVa could decrease depression in the victims and raise their self-esteem.

Schools in the US are too diverse. One of the reasons KiVa wouldn't work is because it wasn't developed for an audience as diverse as the US public school system. "Finnish students are homogeneous economically, racially and culturally," Espelage, the University of Florida professor, said, "whereas US schools are distinctly diverse on socioeconomic status, ethnicity and religious background." According to Espelage, the social inequalities these students face whether it be race or class increase the risks of bullying. If kids have different races and different socioeconomic backgrounds, other kids are more likely to bully them around those issues.

"Kids that are in the minority of the school tend to be victims of bullying," Espelage said. According to the National Center of Educational Statistics, the average racial make-up of American students in 2014 was 50 percent white, 25 percent Hispanic and 16 percent African American. The remaining nine percent consisted of Asians and Pacific Islanders, Native Americans and those of mixed race. Compare that to UCLA's study of KiVa, where all but 2.1 percent of the participants were white Finnish students.

II. A problem is the schools in the US are resource-challenged.

Schools in the United States also have varying levels of funding and access to resources, and the problem is even more evident in predominantly African American and Hispanic neighborhoods where students are more likely to attend poorer schools, Espelage said. "Education is local," she said. "There's not going to be one program that fits all. It's going to have to be tailored to the context." Todd Little, a psychology professor at Texas Tech University, helped conduct an early study of KiVa in Finland, back in 2011. He agreed with Espelage's assessment of the program, he told CNN. "It worked in Finland but that is specific to the Finnish culture (and perhaps similar cultures)," he said in an email.

III. Another problem is US teachers are focused on other things.

Hubbard, the University of Delaware professor who has completed her trial of KiVa in Delaware, said her data suggests the program can work, even across a variety of races and ethnicity. But the roadblocks to implementing a program like KiVa don't lie with the kids, she said. It's with the teachers. Her study has not been published yet, but she shared the racial breakdown of her sample.
The children in her study were 49 percent European American, 20 percent Hispanic American and 18 percent African American.

Seven percent were of mixed race and six percent were Asian. She and her colleagues looked at KiVa's effectiveness across the board to see if they differed by race. "Largely," she said, "the answer was no, we really did not see differences by child or race ethnicity." She's more concerned with the differences between Finnish teachers and American teachers. "Our data suggests that if teachers really implement KiVa it works well in the US for our children," Hubbard said. "But we had a lot more difficulty getting teachers to do it."

IV. An issue here in the United States is that we don't value our teachers as much.

According to the National Institute of Justice, KiVa requires teachers to conduct 10 lessons over 20 hours. It's a huge time commitment many US teachers can't justify when they are teaching to prepare their students for standardized tests. Another big difference is the value Finnish society places on teachers, Hubbard said. The "best and brightest" become teachers, and they're placed on the same level as doctors and lawyers, she said. "They value their teachers that way and they pay their teachers that way."

Finland has one of the best school systems in the world. It requires its teachers to have master degrees and the government provides free access to all levels of education so children of varying socioeconomic backgrounds get equal opportunities, according to a 2015 report by the Paris-based Organisation for Economic and Co-operation Development. Finnish students also face no national standardized tests, the OECD report said. Teachers in the United States are "bombarded" with expectations,

Hubbard said. "They're supposed to do drug prevention, they're supposed to do sex education, they're supposed to do so many things, and bullying prevention is just another thing that's on the list." In Finland, schools placed high value on bullying prevention, and spent a lot of time and energy on it, she said.

V. What needs to change here in the US.

Change the focus of how we teach.

For bullying prevention programs to work, school districts and administrators need to see that same value, and recognize it takes time and effort to work. "It's not a 30-minute assembly at the beginning of the school year and then you check that box," Hubbard said. They also need to recognize the advantage bullying prevention programs have not just for the well-being of children, but their academics as well.

"There is such a push on improving academic standards and test scores for our kids," Hubbard said." But I think that then these initiatives that have to do with sort of social and emotional learning and developing don't get as much attention." In order to convince school administrators to see the benefit of these programs, we need to emphasize that decreasing bullying helps academic performance and test scores, Hubbard said.

VI. We need to move away from zero-tolerance policies.

Experts have long recommended moving away from zero-tolerance policies and towards evidence-based programs like KiVa. "Remaining evidence-based is really important," Hubbard said. Espelage agreed teachers in the US simply aren't able to implement a program like KiVa, but agrees that it addresses what she's found in her research; it's important to focus on "school climate," she said, instead of individuals.

She suggests anti-bullying advocates focus on funding research that takes into account the issues of our educational system and the diversity in our schools. "We know these programs are good if kids can see themselves reflected in the program," she told CNN. Both Espelage and Hubbard agreed the burden of solving the issue of bullying in US schools is on researchers and advocates." Finland found a proven way to combat bullying. Here's what it'll take to make it work in the US - CNN