User Tag List

First 34351525354 Last

Thread: Bullying

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so

I was bullied as a child and in my early teens. Looking back on it, everything was just really ridiculous. It mostly annoyed me more than anything. But then again, I was VERY irritable from about the ages 10-14, so it makes perfect sense that I saw bullies as annoying.

I don't understand why people bully though. It's literally never made any sense to me.

Once I got into high school, I just flew under the radar so there was really no reason for anyone to pick on me.

I was probably singled out because I was small, physically week, and terrible at socializing with kids my own age. I also didn't play sports because I was so unathletic that I would've been miserable. I think a lot of kids seemed to gain really strong friend networks through sports, so they wouldn't get bullied because they had a lot of friends who would stick up for them. I just didn't have a lot in common with a lot of other kids. Most of this just resulted in a feeling of neutrality, but it sadly also became hostility.

I just didn't get aspects of child culture either. Like I would get really confused when someone would drop a plate at lunch and people would point and go "ooooooooh" . My reaction was always "Huh? This makes no sense. What are you people doing?" Apparantly, I was just supposed to understand this. To this day, I don't get it. That was probably also a part of it.

I also suspect I was the kid who parents told their kids to be nice to.....

But, it doesn't really impact my life nowadays. It's what it was, and it was petty and stupid. The only case of bullying that still actively makes me angry is the year I was harshly singled out and bullied by a teacher. This was hands-down the lowest point of my life. I had nightmares about the woman for four years.
    Likes Deprecator liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by LucieCat View Post
    I think a lot of kids seemed to gain really strong friend networks through sports, so they wouldn't get bullied because they had a lot of friends who would stick up for them.
    Regardless of how many friends you have, if you think you're better than the other kids and relish the opportunity to prove it on a field of sport, then chances are you'd also welcome the opportunity if someone made the mistake of trying to bully/ pick on you.

Anyways, I was part of various sports teams growing up and often the less skillful players were targeted. Whether you want to call it bullying, playful teasing or all in the spirit of fun and games... who knows. I wouldn't have cared to interfere unless things got physical, just because I felt that with verbal quarreling among peers the other party always had the freedom to walk away/ disengage. Of course, if for whatever reason you really wanted to be part of the group then realizing this as an option wouldn't exactly be intuitive.

I remember on my high school team there was a less skillful player who was a very frequent source of amusement. Another player might tell him "from hence forth you are to call me master", and then another player would think it was funny and tell him "from hence forth you are to call me father superior". While I didn't participate directly, I sure as hell thought it was funny when he put a surprising amount of effort when trying to remember all the titles he was suppose to use when addressing others. I don't know whether he felt like he was being bullied or not, but I think it was because his reactions deviated so much from how anyone else would have reacted that was both the comedic punchline and part of the reason why he was targeted so frequently.

Pretty sure the vast majority of people have experienced bullying in school and/or home. Whether or not people have found ways to combat it, will vary per person.
    Likes Snow as White liked this post

A life goal of an adolescent is to fit in to conform to the local mores and values. To fail in this life task leaves us vulnerable all throughout our life, so we are bullied and cajoled into conforming to the mores of our society. Bullies are an essential part of our social ecosystem. Bullies are our social police.

Bullies perform an essential social function by enforcing social order.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    A life goal of an adolescent is to fit in to conform to the local mores and values. To fail in this life task leaves us vulnerable all throughout our life, so we are bullied and cajoled into conforming to the mores of our society. Bullies are an essential part of our social ecosystem. Bullies are our social police.

Speak for yourself. Counterproductive mores and values should not be emulated and perpetuated. "Social police" can take a leap.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Yuu, Luminous liked this post

What on earth did I just read? To begin with, trends keep changing. There is no 'compulsion' to conform, and some become trendsetters at a young age. To 'fail' in this life task distinguishes you from sheep. Bullies are the virus of our social ecosystem, who enforce their entitlement, privilege, ego, and promote various problems- don't even get me started.

There are much better role models to look up to, listen to, and follow- if you really want one.
    S K Y K I N G
    It is said to have lived for hundreds of millions of years in the earth's ozone layer, above the clouds.
    Its existence had been completely unknown because it lived so high in the sky.
    Likes Yuu liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ixaerus View Post
    What on earth did I just read? To begin with, trends keep changing. There is no 'compulsion' to conform, and some become trendsetters at a young age. To 'fail' in this life task distinguishes you from sheep. Bullies are the virus of our social ecosystem, who enforce their entitlement, privilege, ego, and promote various problems- don't even get me started. There are much better role models to look up to, listen to, and follow- if you really want one.
    The animal world is ordered by predators snd parasites just as we are ordered by bullies,

The animal world is ordered by predators snd parasites just as we are ordered by bullies,
    Ordered by bullies? Where? There is more to life than things that take from us, to make such umbrella statements, one can even define humanity as a whole as bullies to the earth. The dynamics of our social structure is vast, bullies is just a part of it. A smaller part, thankfully, that only like-minded people would listen to and follow.
    S K Y K I N G
    It is said to have lived for hundreds of millions of years in the earth's ozone layer, above the clouds.
    Its existence had been completely unknown because it lived so high in the sky.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by Ixaerus View Post
    Ordered by bullies? Where? There is more to life than things that take from us, to make such umbrella statements, one can even define humanity as a whole as bullies to the earth. The dynamics of our social structure is vast, bullies is just a part of it. A smaller part, thankfully, that only like-minded people would listen to and follow.

For those obssesed with thier own falacious image as an outcast it is much easier to shout “ everyone else is the same!” than it s to express any truly origional thought.
    " Do something, even if it's wrong."

" I don't wanna have to but I will, if that's what I'm supposed to do
    We don't wanna set up for the kill, but that's what I'm 'bout to do."
    Likes Deprecator, raskol liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    For those obssesed with thier own falacious image as an outcast it is much easier to shout “ everyone else is the same!” than it s to express any truly origional thought.
    Did you know that I too experienced formative abuse, whether being beaten or starved by a father with NPD, never mind ongoing emotional abuse? I also experienced attempted rape from a trusted close friend.