• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What constitutes whining?

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9?
Instinctual Variant
sp
I don't know what's going on but for some reason I keep running into the words "whiny" and "whining"...to the point where they're starting to not even seem meaningful anymore. Any expression of discontent is whining. Anyone going through any problem at all, however legitimate or possibly pathological, is whining and everything can be solved if they just "grow up". I'm starting to get the impression that these words are just a shorthand for "I don't want to listen to this/I don't care" or, most likely, "I don't understand your problem". Rather than any relevant assessment of the person's character or issue.

So to test this, what do you label as whining?

Reborn Relic

Damn American Cowboy
MBTI Type
INTP
There's a subtext that either the thing being whined about either shouldn't evoke complaining or shouldn't evoke that much complaining, but you've basically hit the nail on the head. Where exactly the line is drawn between complaining too much and not is kind of a matter of personal taste.

I label whining declaring things broken when they're still perfectly usable, mostly. Or situations when my brother starts trying to police what I eat or do because "You never do that!". I have a few "taboos" myself, but...not that many. Jebus.

Ooooh! Another big one--when someone else gets something and the person who doesn't get it complains about them having it, while perhaps ignoring that there are legitimate reasons for one to have it and the other not to.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't know what's going on but for some reason I keep running into the words "whiny" and "whining"...to the point where they're starting to not even seem meaningful anymore. Any expression of discontent is whining. Anyone going through any problem at all, however legitimate or possibly pathological, is whining and everything can be solved if they just "grow up". I'm starting to get the impression that these words are just a shorthand for "I don't want to listen to this/I don't care" or, most likely, "I don't understand your problem". Rather than any relevant assessment of the person's character or issue.

So to test this, what do you label as whining?

Mostly it means - I don't want to hear this anymore because I likely have heard it, repeatedly and nothing has been done about it. Especially if solutions have been offered and the whiner could give a shit yet still complains that others don't understand.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
this: Vocaroo | Voice message

at least i'd get told to stop whining when i did that as a little kid and i usually did that when i was very cranky and done with whatever i was doing but being made to keep at it.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is complaining, especially repetitive/protracted complaining, where the focus is on wallowing in self-pity and one's feeling of misery rather than on finding a solution.

Also this:
Mostly it means - I don't want to hear this anymore because I likely have heard it, repeatedly and nothing has been done about it. Especially if solutions have been offered and the whiner could give a shit yet still complains that others don't understand.

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Finally! Someone knows where I'm coming from.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Obviously complaining/venting has some potent therapeutic effects and damn it, it can just feel good. But I would classify whining as repeatedly complaining about something trivial or when people throw themselves a pity party, consistently. Also when a toddler cries because she can't have another cookie. :boohoo:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is complaining, especially repetitive/protracted complaining, where the focus is on wallowing in self-pity and one's feeling of misery rather than on finding a solution.

Also this:

Seconded.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
When a person concentrates on the problem, the negative, and how each has and will be detrimental to them, while ignoring one's responsibility and contribution to said problem. The victim mentality made verbal.