• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your Cultural Heritage + YOU

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Mostly English, with a good dose of Scott/Irish, and 1/4096 Native American. (Direct descendant of Pocahontas. Yes, they made a cartoon out of my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother.)

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Mostly English, with a good dose of Scott/Irish, and 1/4096 Native American. (Direct descendant of Pocahontas. Yes, they made a cartoon out of my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother.)

Really!?! So great. Thanks for dropping in here :hug: Do you have stories handed down?

I am intrigued (delighted) with how many people have Indigenous Culture in their backgrounds. I make this joke sometimes that I am: 82,456th in line to the throne (cuz aren't we all ;)) I am seeing the same dynamic with Native threads. It's welcome.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Too many talk about them talk about them almost like they don't exist anymore don't real have that much relevance in today's world, lol.

There's still quite a few of them around, they just like to keep a low profile I think.

In Canada, their presence is generally more well known about, I'm guessing unlike in the States maybe? They protest a lot, and surprisingly seem to be one of the most democratic groups or people in Canada. I mean at least, that's what you'd notice the most, or be the most perhaps prolific of the as a group, but it's pretty cool I think. They're still the one's who make the most of their democratic and individual freedom and voices. Anyway, they do other things and are not just some ancient group in the past, they are again just sort of on the down low. I think they like it like that.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
[MENTION=10786]Zeno[/MENTION]

50% korean

White grandparent #1 (confirmed)

50% english
50% german

White grandparent #2 (unconfirmed aka she's not 100% sure, but this is the best I have to go with)

Austrian/Hungarian
Lithuanian
Polish

What a beautifully rich combination!

Oh I forgot to post how it influences me. So I'll do that. My mom is where I get my korean genetics from. Uniquely enough, she spoke English very well, because that's what she majored in University. So I didn't realize that people having different ethnicity in parents was really a uncommon thing. I kind of grew up thinking that it was standard for everyone to be mixed, it wasn't until later that I started noticing that a lot of people, including everyone in my extended family at the time, were not mixed.

I'm so glad you participated. Thanks! I find this ^ eternally amazing. How children don't even register racial differences initially. My Brother is married to a wonderful Girl from Taiwan and they have a new child, so the concept of being 'mixed' is one I have high interest in.

I always am intrigued to observe different people's reactions to my Brother's marriage.

Being mixed has had different affects on me throughout my life. My brother appears more western than I do, I take after my mom a lot. But especially when I was younger, I appeared quite Asian, perhaps even full Asian. Therefore, I dealt with many of the Asian stereotypes in school, such as being a brainiac, good at math, etc. I always wanted to defy these stereotypes, because I wasn't even full Asian, but in many ways they were true at the time.

So, do you think that ultimately the stereotypes were a positive influence?

That said, a lot of people can usually tell I'm not full Asian, and don't put me in a box. However, not being in a box is it's own dilemma. It's a common gripe among the happa community that they don't fit anywhere. So ironically, I did kind of break out of the box, but coincidentally I don't really belong anywhere, ethnically. That said I grew up in one of the most diverse areas of the country, and while there were some cliques basesd on ethnicity, it wasn't that bad. All in all it hasn't affected me too much. One of the funniest things I've ever encountered was when I was at a diner in a very white republican area, and all I got was looks from the moment I stepped in the door. I was wondering if it's that bad for an Asian guy I wonder what it's like to be black in that situation.

Ha! It's really diverse where I live too.

Still, I do notice undercurrents. Not long ago, my SIL was having a hard time at Customer Service. She was being accused of trying to cheat the business when really she was trying to do an exchange. I had been shopping around and then walked up to see what was taking so long? When I walked up, the representative looked surprised we were together and immediately let me explain what we wanted done and promptly fulfilled the transaction. But, my SIL had been saying exactly the same thing :dry:

Have you ever been to Korea or the European countries in your background [MENTION=10786]Zeno[/MENTION]?

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Im Lebanese.

That's it. Maybe a VERY small percentage of french since my moms side has colored eyes, but that in itself is common among the Lebanese. It's all guesswork.

Everything about me is Lebanese... country pride, heritage, culture, religion, language, food, features... all of it. It's defiantly shaped me into who I am today. Being the first American born in the family on my dad's AND moms side is cool. I relate to being Lebanese more then American just because I was raised around middle eastern society in my younger days more then the other. Doesnt mean I hate being american, I can eat raw cookie dough from a tube, and buy my cheese pre sliced. America is fucking awesome.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Really!?! So great. Thanks for dropping in here :hug: Do you have stories handed down?

I am intrigued (delighted) with how many people have Indigenous Culture in their backgrounds. I make this joke sometimes that I am: 82,456th in line to the throne (cuz aren't we all ;)) I am seeing the same dynamic with Native threads. It's welcome.

Oh, forget that "princess" shit. My cousins were enthralled by the fact that it meant they were descended from an "Indian Chief".

Oh, and I purposefully didn't mention other royal ancestry, such as King John (you know, the one who f-cked up so bad he managed to piss off the Pope AND all of his Lords and thereby had to sign the Magna Carta to make things sane again ... and then there were those Robin Hood stories set back when he was just a Prince ...). Which in turn implies being descended from William the Conqueror and Charlemagne.

All of which means nothing: prolific ancestors were prolific. Just do the generational math and their theoretical descendants outnumber the population of the globe. If you can trace your ancestry back that far, that means that you had royal/noble blood, since those were the only people who could afford to keep track of that shit so long ago.

No stories, just extremely obscure pedigree (you have to follow one very specific line in my genealogy that far back to hit the royal stuff) ... oh, and relatives curious enough to research it.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh, forget that "princess" shit. My cousins were enthralled by the fact that it meant they were descended from an "Indian Chief".

Oh, and I purposefully didn't mention other royal ancestry, such as King John (you know, the one who f-cked up so bad he managed to piss off the Pope AND all of his Lords and thereby had to sign the Magna Carta to make things sane again ... and then there were those Robin Hood stories set back when he was just a Prince ...). Which in turn implies being descended from William the Conqueror and Charlemagne.

All of which means nothing: prolific ancestors were prolific. Just do the generational math and their theoretical descendants outnumber the population of the globe. If you can trace your ancestry back that far, that means that you had royal/noble blood, since those were the only people who could afford to keep track of that shit so long ago.

No stories, just extremely obscure pedigree (you have to follow one very specific line in my genealogy that far back to hit the royal stuff) ... oh, and relatives curious enough to research it.

Ha, cousin!!! (10th or 20th I guess). I am also descended from William the Conqueror. Let's unite and kick those German pretenders off our throne!!!:D

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Im Lebanese.

That's it. Maybe a VERY small percentage of french since my moms side has colored eyes, but that in itself is common among the Lebanese. It's all guesswork.

Everything about me is Lebanese... country pride, heritage, culture, religion, language, food, features... all of it. It's defiantly shaped me into who I am today. Being the first American born in the family on my dad's AND moms side is cool. I relate to being Lebanese more then American just because I was raised around middle eastern society in my younger days more then the other. Doesnt mean I hate being american, I can eat raw cookie dough from a tube, and buy my cheese pre sliced. America is fucking awesome.

Cool Duckie! I adore Lebanese peeps = some of the most hospitable and loving. And, the food :heart: The first time I got invited over to some friend's they said 'come over for coffee'. So, I ate first and went expecting to drink coffee. I got there and the tables were laden, overflowing with food. Stuffed pastries, roasted meats, salads, dips, desserts... Now, I know not to eat anything that day, if I am going over.

Is pre-sliced cheese an American thing (grin)? I did not know that :thinking: Thank you so much for dipping in to this thread :hug:

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
What a beautifully rich combination!

Haha, thank you :)

I'm so glad you participated. Thanks! I find this ^ eternally amazing. How children don't even register racial differences initially. My Brother is married to a wonderful Girl from Taiwan and they have a new child, so the concept of being 'mixed' is one I have high interest in.

I always am intrigued to observe different people's reactions to my Brother's marriage.

Ya honestly I think the views on racially mixed families depend on the mix and the place. For example, in America, there's still people who frown at those families that have a white parent and a black parent. Meanwhile, I don't think in America there's as much of that connotation for mixes of white and Asian. However, in Asia there's a bit of a different connotation for mixes of white and asian. Particularly in my Asian side (Korea) they view themselves as one blood. They literally all see themselves as a larger family, one people. However, half white half asian people are not really in that group. When I've gone to Korea my brother and I have been called half-bloods. So we aren't really in that network so to say. That's not to say it's an inherently negative connotation. My brother and I have been called handsome many times due to our mix, and in many ways we're seen in a positive connotation because we're American (which is a country they generally like) and because Koreans kind of like the appearance of white people (in my opinion). I don't think this is just unique to Korea. There's a lot of very famous models, actors, and singers in Asia who are a mix of white and asian.

So, do you think that ultimately the stereotypes were a positive influence?

Hm I'm really not sure. I had a lot of cognitive dissonance when I was younger regarding the stereotypes. I really hated being told I was in a box (YET HERE I AM AT TYPOC), and I just didn't like the idea of people acting like they knew me before they knew me. So I really acted out as a kid. I'd say it was pretty negative, until I came to acceptance with the stereotypes, and realized it really wasn't a bad thing to be those things.

Still, I do notice undercurrents. Not long ago, my SIL was having a hard time at Customer Service. She was being accused of trying to cheat the business when really she was trying to do an exchange. I had been shopping around and then walked up to see what was taking so long? When I walked up, the representative looked surprised we were together and immediately let me explain what we wanted done and promptly fulfilled the transaction. But, my SIL had been saying exactly the same thing :dry:

Yeah I mean I believe they're subconsciously there. Thankfully I really have been around a diverse areas and I don't really stand out or get treated differently because of my ethnicity. Although, I did move to a place that was almost all white, during University. I believe the University that I attended was like 75% white, 15% black, 5 % latino, 5% asian. But I got treated great. I mean some places that have a southern culture can be really really friendly. In fact, one of my cousins on my white side swears that when he gets older he's going to move to the south, (I'm in the NE) because the North East is so unfriendly and uncaring. So I mean other than the diner where I got stared at, I got treated well when I was in a dominantly white area. I don't know if that would be the same if I were half black or not, but at least for my mix I'm not treated too bad. And that reminds me, I've known two people who were half black half asian. Both were really awesome people. I remember one of them was half korean and she and I use to joke that we were brother and sister.

Have you ever been to Korea or the European countries in your background

So I haven't been to Europe at all. I've gone to Korea about 5 times in my life, and I might be going there again in a couple of months. I've always been amazed by how fast it has changed. It was very different when I was young, compared to the recent time I visited. I mean I've even noticed the culture change, where in many respects the youth act VERY like the youth in America. Always staring at their phone, wearing very stylish clothes and hair styles. Really interesting stuff. One of my most memorable experiences, is when I was staying at a very fancy hotel my first time in Korea, I was probably around 10. And right across the street, I was in a parking lot for the hotel, there was a hut. It was raining very hard, and I noticed a old lady in the hut peeling onions. I don't think that noticing such a stark contrast in wealth ever affected me as much as it did then.

So story time, I know its already a long post, but I figure you guys might find this funny / interesting, I know most people in my family do.

Oh, and I purposefully didn't mention other royal ancestry, such as King John

So I'm related to a king as well. It's not very far up my line. He was my great-great-great grandfather, I believe; and he was on my German side. He wasn't a great king by any means, and by great I mean a king of a large kingdom. He was a king of a smaller kingdom, at the time when Germany was ruled by many different kingdoms. Apparently Bismark, I believe, called on all the kings to help in a war. So my grandfather (I will call him grandfather so I don't have to use great so much), left his kingdom to go fight, and left his brother in charge while he was gone. When the war was over he came back, however, his brother banished him and claimed the kingdom. My grandfather then went to America with nothing but a silver spoon (literally). Eventually the American Civil War occurred. My grandfather had extensive military experience, and offered to take the place of a rich man's son for money. The offer was accepted, and he was put in the Union cavalry as an officer. He eventually got shot in his back, I believe, and ever since had to use a cane to walk. Now my great grandfather was raised by my great-great-great grandfather (the german king), because my great-grandfather's father (my great-great-grandfather) died before he was born. Now from what I hear, my great-great-great grandfather was a real hard ass, real strict German (in fact pretty much all the males on my father's line are real hard asses). So he was raised getting beat up by a cane and such. Anyway, with the money from the civil war my great-grandfather and great-great-great grandfather started investing in apartments in the Bronx. Apparently they became very very wealthy. I'm talking about equivalent of 5-10 million current USD. However, they stored their money in the banks. When the run on the banks occurred during the great depression my great-grandfather lost all of his money. He apparently suffered a nervous break down, and my grandfather suffered the consequences. My great-grandfathers wife (or my grandfather's mother) died working in a factory. She worked underneath a vent which blew in cool air, and got pneumonia, she died very shortly after. So my grandfather's life was very harsh, because his father was abusive from the nervous breakdown, and his loving mother died when he was around 15. So in short my grandfather became a real hard ass to my dad because his dad was a hardass, and that explains why my dad is such a hard ass!

End of story!

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wish I could convey how helpful this was to me in understanding my SIL's parenting style :) I thank you from my heart for sharing = providing me with insight
Not at all. I'm glad that you find it useful.

It's lovely when children are responsible and wise with finances = and then CAN show filial gratitude!
Actually, it's almost like a social contract between child and parents. We have a responsibility to provide for them financially or we are considered unfilial and are shamed by others. I would prefer to think that I give money to my parents because I want to support them, but because everything is framed in the context of social obligation it feels very cold and insincere.

The bold is what I really recognize in my SIL and her family. I so appreciate you putting the words to what I have been trying to discern. The Asian side thinks our side is overly complimentary and focuses too much on the inner person. My side of the family is fascinated by the push to excel and long-term thinking. But, honestly, everyone is united for the one cause and I think the differences combine to form a great environment to grow within.
Yep, because in pro-social Eastern cultures we are defined primarily by our social and familial roles and less individualistically, there is conflict when people try to break from expectations. You're automatically seen as selfish and inconsiderate. People are expected to listen to their elders because it's the role of the older person to lead and make decisions. Conversely, older people are supposed to take this responsibility seriously and clearly define expectations for their children or the younger generation. Sometimes I find Western cultures a bit too individualistic, but overall, I think such freedoms are important because ultimately no one can take responsibility for another person's life.

Cool. I respect this because ultimately: only we can be responsible for the consequences of our decision making processes. :hug:
Exactly! :hug:

Also

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp
Too many talk about them talk about them almost like they don't exist anymore don't real have that much relevance in today's world, lol.

There's still quite a few of them around, they just like to keep a low profile I think.

In Canada, their presence is generally more well known about, I'm guessing unlike in the States maybe? They protest a lot, and surprisingly seem to be one of the most democratic groups or people in Canada. I mean at least, that's what you'd notice the most, or be the most perhaps prolific of the as a group, but it's pretty cool I think. They're still the one's who make the most of their democratic and individual freedom and voices. Anyway, they do other things and are not just some ancient group in the past, they are again just sort of on the down low. I think they like it like that.

Lol, I agree. IME, it depends on where you live in the US. There's not a strong Native presence in the city I live in, so that results in odd behavior/beliefs from strangers when they find out that Native Americans live among them. My dad, on the other hand, lives in a state where the Native population lives on autonomous territory so their presence is much more visible.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, you are exotic looking Forever. I can see why you have had so many questions applied to your aesthetic presentation.

I am not exotic looking but do find I constantly get asked if I am: Latino (hourglass figure), French (I think the way my lips move?), Middle Eastern (glossy, curly hair if not straightened), Italian (gestures), Nordic (pale skin) etc. I have a theory that fashion has something to do with it too:thinking: I get asked about being European if I dress classy, Latino if more colourfully attired etcetera.

Some of my closest friends are from Slovenia. Have you been to Peru? Is there any one side that you identify with more?

What if you dress classy and colorfully? A hybrid child? :newwink:

Oh that's nice!

Yes I have. :) I have been to the streets of Lima and went to Machu Picchu. It's terrifically beautiful up there. And the Incans and early natives were quite ingenious over there how they build things without the use of tools we have today. It seems impossible or inhuman without our understanding.

My mom is half white so she was quite in contrast to how everyone over there looks. :laugh: I was mistakened to think everyone looked like my mom lol.

When you go to a different country and are not used to it, everyone looks the same. It's sad but it's true! There's a social psychological term and every ignorant kid and even adults still can't tell apart Hispanics and Asians. It's sad.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cool Duckie! I adore Lebanese peeps = some of the most hospitable and loving. And, the food :heart: The first time I got invited over to some friend's they said 'come over for coffee'. So, I ate first and went expecting to drink coffee. I got there and the tables were laden, overflowing with food. Stuffed pastries, roasted meats, salads, dips, desserts... Now, I know not to eat anything that day, if I am going over.

Where I come from there used to be no hotels in some cities, towns, villages etc. because houses used to contain a room or rooms for guests, and they would be served properly as long as they stay without a cost, those who take costs for it were considered rude and have no hospitality, and the head of the tribe should be the most generous man of his tribe..
My great great great maternal grandfather (I don't know how long does this goes) is still called "the man with a slanted tray" because he was known for his good hospitality that the tray of food which he used to serve his guests with was so heavy that it usually slants..
My dad's uncles were the head of the tribe also and used to have a very big place for guests, unfortunately they were both killed by extremists brats one after another for being "too moderate Muslims" about solving issues..

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
[MENTION=10786]Zeno[/MENTION]

Haha, thank you :)

Ya honestly I think the views on racially mixed families depend on the mix and the place. For example, in America, there's still people who frown at those families that have a white parent and a black parent. Meanwhile, I don't think in America there's as much of that connotation for mixes of white and Asian. However, in Asia there's a bit of a different connotation for mixes of white and asian. Particularly in my Asian side (Korea) they view themselves as one blood. They literally all see themselves as a larger family, one people. However, half white half asian people are not really in that group. When I've gone to Korea my brother and I have been called half-bloods. So we aren't really in that network so to say. That's not to say it's an inherently negative connotation. My brother and I have been called handsome many times due to our mix, and in many ways we're seen in a positive connotation because we're American (which is a country they generally like) and because Koreans kind of like the appearance of white people (in my opinion). I don't think this is just unique to Korea. There's a lot of very famous models, actors, and singers in Asia who are a mix of white and asian.

I really value hearing your perspectives on this. In Canada, it is largely a non-issue. Yet, I have been surprised occasionally at seeing people's negative reactions to my Brother and SIL (caucasian and asian). Yet, when they go back to her Home, people treat my Brother like a King. Her family considers it prestigious that she has a white husband and enjoy's introducing him proudly... They are even happier that there is a mixed baby now. So, I can relate to what you are saying, even if not at a first-person level.

So I haven't been to Europe at all. I've gone to Korea about 5 times in my life, and I might be going there again in a couple of months. I've always been amazed by how fast it has changed. It was very different when I was young, compared to the recent time I visited. I mean I've even noticed the culture change, where in many respects the youth act VERY like the youth in America. Always staring at their phone, wearing very stylish clothes and hair styles. Really interesting stuff. One of my most memorable experiences, is when I was staying at a very fancy hotel my first time in Korea, I was probably around 10. And right across the street, I was in a parking lot for the hotel, there was a hut. It was raining very hard, and I noticed a old lady in the hut peeling onions. I don't think that noticing such a stark contrast in wealth ever affected me as much as it did then.

Interesting how things have changed, and how rapidly. I ADORE your story of the woman peeling onions. I could imagine it like a movie scene as I read your words.

So I'm related to a king as well. It's not very far up my line. He was my great-great-great grandfather, I believe; and he was on my German side. He wasn't a great king by any means, and by great I mean a king of a large kingdom. He was a king of a smaller kingdom, at the time when Germany was ruled by many different kingdoms. Apparently Bismark, I believe, called on all the kings to help in a war. So my grandfather (I will call him grandfather so I don't have to use great so much), left his kingdom to go fight, and left his brother in charge while he was gone. When the war was over he came back, however, his brother banished him and claimed the kingdom.

Treachery!

My grandfather then went to America with nothing but a silver spoon (literally). Eventually the American Civil War occurred. My grandfather had extensive military experience, and offered to take the place of a rich man's son for money. The offer was accepted, and he was put in the Union cavalry as an officer.

I had never heard of such a thing before. Utterly fascinating!

He eventually got shot in his back, I believe, and ever since had to use a cane to walk. Now my great grandfather was raised by my great-great-great grandfather (the german king), because my great-grandfather's father (my great-great-grandfather) died before he was born. Now from what I hear, my great-great-great grandfather was a real hard ass, real strict German (in fact pretty much all the males on my father's line are real hard asses). So he was raised getting beat up by a cane and such. Anyway, with the money from the civil war my great-grandfather and great-great-great grandfather started investing in apartments in the Bronx. Apparently they became very very wealthy. I'm talking about equivalent of 5-10 million current USD. However, they stored their money in the banks. When the run on the banks occurred during the great depression my great-grandfather lost all of his money.

My maternal great-grandfather also lost his fortune in the Depression. It affected so much of who my Grandmother was.

He apparently suffered a nervous break down, and my grandfather suffered the consequences. My great-grandfathers wife (or my grandfather's mother) died working in a factory. She worked underneath a vent which blew in cool air, and got pneumonia, she died very shortly after. So my grandfather's life was very harsh, because his father was abusive from the nervous breakdown, and his loving mother died when he was around 15. So in short my grandfather became a real hard ass to my dad because his dad was a hardass, and that explains why my dad is such a hard ass!

Wow! I can't thank you enough for putting this down in words. It's amazing stuff. Especially neat in that it also lends information as to family characteristics. Are you a hard ass ;)

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So I'm related to a king as well. It's not very far up my line. He was my great-great-great grandfather, I believe; and he was on my German side. He wasn't a great king by any means, and by great I mean a king of a large kingdom. He was a king of a smaller kingdom, at the time when Germany was ruled by many different kingdoms. Apparently Bismark, I believe, called on all the kings to help in a war. So my grandfather (I will call him grandfather so I don't have to use great so much), left his kingdom to go fight, and left his brother in charge while he was gone. When the war was over he came back, however, his brother banished him and claimed the kingdom. My grandfather then went to America with nothing but a silver spoon (literally). Eventually the American Civil War occurred. My grandfather had extensive military experience, and offered to take the place of a rich man's son for money. The offer was accepted, and he was put in the Union cavalry as an officer. He eventually got shot in his back, I believe, and ever since had to use a cane to walk. Now my great grandfather was raised by my great-great-great grandfather (the german king), because my great-grandfather's father (my great-great-grandfather) died before he was born. Now from what I hear, my great-great-great grandfather was a real hard ass, real strict German (in fact pretty much all the males on my father's line are real hard asses). So he was raised getting beat up by a cane and such. Anyway, with the money from the civil war my great-grandfather and great-great-great grandfather started investing in apartments in the Bronx. Apparently they became very very wealthy. I'm talking about equivalent of 5-10 million current USD. However, they stored their money in the banks. When the run on the banks occurred during the great depression my great-grandfather lost all of his money. He apparently suffered a nervous break down, and my grandfather suffered the consequences. My great-grandfathers wife (or my grandfather's mother) died working in a factory. She worked underneath a vent which blew in cool air, and got pneumonia, she died very shortly after. So my grandfather's life was very harsh, because his father was abusive from the nervous breakdown, and his loving mother died when he was around 15. So in short my grandfather became a real hard ass to my dad because his dad was a hardass, and that explains why my dad is such a hard ass!

End of story!

IIRC the only war Germany fought under Bismarck before the American Civil War is the Second Schleswig War against the Danish. That was in 1864, so immediately before the American Civil War. It was fought between the kingdom of Denmark on one side and Prussia and the Austrian empire on the other. That could only be it if you were a member of the house of Prussia. But you said he was a minor "king" and I guess you'd know if you were a member of that house :D

The only kingdoms that existed at the time period you are describing are Prussia, Bavaria and Württemberg. The other former members of the German Confederation (that broke apart in 1848) were als duchies, not kingdoms. So unless you are a descendent of the King of Bavaria, Prussia or Württemberg (all huge important houses related to the great kings of Europe!) your great-great-great-...-grandfather is more likely to have been a duke, or rather the son of a duke.

Could it be that it wasn't Bismarck at all? I can't think of a single war in German history in the 19th century where somebody asked several kings/dukes/whatever to join against a common foe. Only the Napoleonic invasion comes to mind, but that was too early for your ancestor to still have fought in the Civil War.

I'm not a history buff, so I could be wrong, and I'm not here to burst your bubble, just genuinely curious. :)

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

End of story!

IIRC the only war Germany fought under Bismarck before the American Civil War is the Second Schleswig War against the Danish. That was in 1864, so immediately before the American Civil War. It was fought between the kingdom of Denmark on one side and Prussia and the Austrian empire on the other. That could only be it if you were a member of the house of Prussia. But you said he was a minor "king" and I guess you'd know if you were a member of that house :D

The only kingdoms that existed at the time period you are describing are Prussia, Bavaria and Württemberg. The other former members of the German Confederation (that broke apart in 1848) were als duchies, not kingdoms. So unless you are a descendent of the King of Bavaria, Prussia or Württemberg (all huge important houses related to the great kings of Europe!) your great-great-great-...-grandfather is more likely to have been a duke, or rather the son of a duke.

Could it be that it wasn't Bismarck at all? I can't think of a single war in German history in the 19th century where somebody asked several kings/dukes/whatever to join against a common foe. Only the Napoleonic invasion comes to mind, but that was too early for your ancestor to still have fought in the Civil War.

I'm not a history buff, so I could be wrong, and I'm not here to burst your bubble, just genuinely curious. :)

EDIT: It just occured to be it might not have been an outward enemy at all. Many, many Germans from all walks of life emigrated during the revolution of 1848. That wasn't a war, but there was a lot of mayhem and upheaval. That sounds much more likely to me. Do you think he might have left for America at that time?

Swivelinglight

Permabanned

Haha you're probably right to be honest. This story was told to me from my grandfather, and he has a knack for being full of it sometimes. So I'm not entirely sure exactly what's going on. He mentioned that he visited the castle of my great-great-great grandfather's, and that it was now inhabited by drug users. It's possible he was just a duke or something, like you mentioned. Maybe it's possible I could get one of those ancestry things and look him up. I do know he served in the civil war though, because I saw a picture of him in his uniform.

Dr Mobius

Biting Shards
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmmm, my synapses are still popping in wonderment of what precisely you mean - by the dynamic of the primordial forest? If you feel like expanding, I am interested.

Oops forgot about responding to this. New Zealand's ecology is the last remnant of Antarctic Gondwanaland (Give or take a few hundred million years of evolution.). It was largely isolated after it split off. Before the evolution, and incredible success of grass. A large part of early pioneering life was land clearance, various land ballots for the steady stream of settlers. The harsh realities of life, plus the small numbers (Not enough to retain/reinforce cultural norms.) meant only the Scottish (Of which the majority of early settlers where, and later emigrants for that matter.) managed to have a significant impact on New Zealand. A prime example are the Dalmatians who fled Europe in the mid 19th century. It's effectively a dead culture, as far as I know the language never made it out of the 19th century.

Photographs

From there, I don't mess around with percentages, because it's otherwise impossible to know. Majority of my heratage is Scottish, Irish, Dutch and German-- both of my parents are of the first two, but Mom with German, Dad with Dutch. The most interesting tid bits I've unearthed (that I would say may reflect on who I am) are 1) that my paternal Irish heritage is very probably Norse-Irish because our family immigrated from Armagh in Northern Ireland, a site of some larger Viking raids. I sometimes joke that my ancestors were raped by Vikings, but it's probably not a joke (and apologies if that's offensive). That part of my family immigrated to Charleston in 1641. 2) My Dad's side has a revolutionary war figure, but after the war, the family moved to West Virginia and Kentucky and basically became professional Hillbillies-- seriously, my great uncle Agnor manufactured moonshine on his property for most of his life.

FWIW patronymic septs were being used at the time of Viking attacks. I think there is a complied list of Viking Irish names(You could try googling your last name.); though Armagh is not where they settled (Dublin, Wexford, Waterford, Limerick, Cork.). So I would be surprised if you are Viking Irish. 1641 is interesting, an incredibly important year in Northern Ireland are you Irish, or Scots-Irish? Purely because your immigration family story seems quite Scots-Irish.

Punderstorm

Wallflower power!
MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My family is essentially Jewish Slavs. I gain cultural food and a special emphasis on education but I'm not sure that's a cultural thing. I didn't grow up with Russian values at all, my parents consider themselves American and I resisted learning Russian.

small.wonder

So she did.
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
FWIW patronymic septs were being used at the time of Viking attacks. I think there is a complied list of Viking Irish names(You could try googling your last name.); though Armagh is not where they settled (Dublin, Wexford, Waterford, Limerick, Cork.). So I would be surprised if you are Viking Irish. 1641 is interesting, an incredibly important year in Northern Ireland are you Irish, or Scots-Irish? Purely because your immigration family story seems quite Scots-Irish.

I believe I am Irish, Scottish and Norse, though the specifics of that, I couldn't say off the top of my head (more than I did already). Long story short, there are these giant books of genealogical research that were done about the paternal side of my heritage because of the aforementioned revolutionary war figure-- they were complied sometime in the 70's, and I have them somewhere. In short, though, they trace the particular branch of my surname all the way back to the Celtic King of Spain (which I didn't even know was a thing until reading that stuff). In those same books, they talk about the Norse link. I'll have to go back and read them, as it's been several years.

Ha, I hope they are right though, for the sake of some heritage based tattoos both my Dad and brother have. ;)

Thanks for lending your thoughts, I always love to learn more or get a different perspective on topics of history! :D