User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 112

  1. #71
    Senior(ita) Member Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    Too lazy to figure out percentages so here we go (all 4th generation or less):

    French, English, Austrian, Slovenian, Portuguese, Peruvian, and American.

    Fun Facts:
    I was black in 3rd Grade (2001).
    Asian (oriental) in 11th grade (2010).
    Mexican from senior year in high school to being in college. (2011-2012).
    Czech-Slovakian in 2013.
    Arabic and Indian in 2014.

    Yeah, my amazing heritage. Forever is from all around the world. Hopefully someone claims me to be Australian in the near future. Got to practice my accent for this one. (The others were not by imitation or accent, just weird perceptions of me.)


    Yeah, you are exotic looking Forever. I can see why you have had so many questions applied to your aesthetic presentation.

    I am not exotic looking but do find I constantly get asked if I am: Latino (hourglass figure), French (I think the way my lips move?), Middle Eastern (glossy, curly hair if not straightened), Italian (gestures), Nordic (pale skin) etc. I have a theory that fashion has something to do with it too I get asked about being European if I dress classy, Latino if more colourfully attired etcetera.

    Some of my closest friends are from Slovenia. Have you been to Peru? Is there any one side that you identify with more?
    Likes Forever liked this post

  2. #72
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    infj None
    Posts
    1,367

    Default

    Oh, and again I just wanted to point out that the whole "save me please, women" was a sarcastic, because I was trying to make fun of women.

  3. #73
    Senior Member Zeno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    696

    Default

    50% korean

    White grandparent #1 (confirmed)

    50% english
    50% german

    White grandparent #2 (unconfirmed aka she's not 100% sure, but this is the best I have to go with)

    Austrian/Hungarian
    Lithuanian
    Polish

    I have no idea what the percentages are.


    So I guess

    50% Korean
    12.5% English
    12.5% German
    25% mix of Austrian/Hungarian, Polish, Lithuanian



    Oh I forgot to post how it influences me. So I'll do that. My mom is where I get my korean genetics from. Uniquely enough, she spoke English very well, because that's what she majored in University. So I didn't realize that people having different ethnicity in parents was really a uncommon thing. I kind of grew up thinking that it was standard for everyone to be mixed, it wasn't until later that I started noticing that a lot of people, including everyone in my extended family at the time, were not mixed.

    Being mixed has had different affects on me throughout my life. My brother appears more western than I do, I take after my mom a lot. But especially when I was younger, I appeared quite Asian, perhaps even full Asian. Therefore, I dealt with many of the Asian stereotypes in school, such as being a brainiac, good at math, etc. I always wanted to defy these stereotypes, because I wasn't even full Asian, but in many ways they were true at the time. That said, a lot of people can usually tell I'm not full Asian, and don't put me in a box. However, not being in a box is it's own dilemma. It's a common gripe among the happa community that they don't fit anywhere. So ironically, I did kind of break out of the box, but coincidentally I don't really belong anywhere, ethnically. That said I grew up in one of the most diverse areas of the country, and while there were some cliques basesd on ethnicity, it wasn't that bad. All in all it hasn't affected me too much. One of the funniest things I've ever encountered was when I was at a diner in a very white republican area, and all I got was looks from the moment I stepped in the door. I was wondering if it's that bad for an Asian guy I wonder what it's like to be black in that situation.
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

  4. #74
    / nonsequitur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so
    Posts
    1,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    My SIL is from Taiwan and also gets called a banana. Interesting that you feel 'between worlds'. If you feel comfortable: when you say parts of you are very very Asian, what do you mean

    I love your Grandparent's varying backgrounds and what the maternal side instilled in your Mom. I don't know you very well but from what I do, it seems like you took that message to heart also

    You love Australian life? You will go back?
    The part of me that is very very stereotypically Asian: survival/education first. I loved history but would never have done an arts degree at university because I needed a defined career path. Money is to be saved, re-invested. I'm highly risk-averse and am constantly thinking in terms of allocation of resources. I have a work ethic. I'm very circumspect about my relationships with other people. Now that I'm an adult, I would not ask my parents for financial help - it is my role to give them money and support them instead. I do not depend on my parents for emotional support either. I understand that it is my role as a child to be like a financial investment in a long-term bond with certain returns, and silent trophy to be shown off to relatives and society. That implies they are good people because they raised a successful child. Further, I am not to complain about being seen in these terms.

    Thanks, I don't believe that I can be everything that I want to be - but I do think that it's in trying that we get to see beyond what we think possible.

    Yes, I do! I will go back next year. That's how I'm very white - I still put my foot down for the life that I want to lead and make my own major life decisions.
    "How badly did you have to break it to make it care about people so much?"
    "That didn't break it. It's what made it work."

    5w6 1w9 2w1, sp/so
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

  5. #75
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    3,006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The first thing is to learn what is our own cultural heritage. This can take decades. The next thing is to apply critical thinking to our own cultural heritage. And the third thing is to add something new to our own cultural heritage for future generations.

    But most of us don't even get to first base, never mind hit a home run. We are seduced by the worst in our culture and ignore the best.
    I will always be fascinated how Americans seem to consider their ethnic roots to be their true "self", and how they frequently confuse phenotype and genotype, innate and acquired tastes.

    Identity and culture are something completely different. I'm not who my ancestors were, however famous they were. I stand my ground here, in 2016.
    The books I write are read and translated both in Europe, in America and in China. Just like those written by my father. So what ?
    Transmission is just as important as reception, or as Mole pointed, "critical thinking".

    Which words or references could really define me, if they exist ?

    I like Mozart. Does that imply I'm part Austrian ?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  6. #76
    Senior(ita) Member Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I will always be fascinated how Americans seem to consider their ethnic roots to be their true "self", and how they frequently confuse phenotype and genotype, innate and acquired tastes.

    Identity and culture are something completely different. I'm not who my ancestors were, however famous they were. I stand my ground here, in 2016.
    The books I write are read and translated both in Europe, in America and in China. Just like those written by my father. So what ?
    Transmission is just as important as reception, or as Mole pointed, "critical thinking".

    Which words or references could really define me, if they exist ?

    I like Mozart. Does that imply I'm part Austrian ?

    Hi! I haven't interacted with you before that I remember. Nice to 'meet you'.


    Apologies, I am a little confused. Is this:

    will always be fascinated how Americans seem to consider their ethnic roots to be their true "self", and how they frequently confuse phenotype and genotype, innate and acquired tastes.
    a blanket statement or are you referring to the responders in this thread specifically? Because this thread consists of people from: Asia, Canada, Australia, America, New Zealand & the UK etc.


    Identity and culture are something completely different. I'm not who my ancestors were, however famous they were. I stand my ground here, in 2016.
    I don't think you are alone in thinking this. Here are some of the quotes from this very thread:

    I think it's interesting to talk about heritage, but I don't really know a lot about mine.

    Other than often being asked if I was Puerto Rican when I was younger, it doesn't affect me much.

    influenced me in a way that I don't really care much about traditional culture

    I really never felt that connected to my culture in any significant ways.


    Which words or references could really define me, if they exist ?

    I would think this is highly personal question that only you have the capacity to answer


    I like Mozart. Does that imply I'm part Austrian ?

    Again, not sure what part of THIS thread implies such a conclusion would be reached?
    Likes SearchingforPeace liked this post

  7. #77
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    MBTI
    infp
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    infj None
    Posts
    1,367

    Default

    Weird, about all the people feeling o ne side more then the other...how do you tell? I can't stereotypically define either ethnic sides all that well lol. I've been to a "Native" (blah, I feel queasy using that term" festival before, and I was quite surprised at how much I saw myself reflected in them, and I have felt myself often more sympathy for perhaps "tha colored" and often angry or resentful growing up towards racist (growing up seeing it from the predominate 'white' culture at the time) but now, not as much of course. I mostly feel a little inbetween, and don't really care for race matters all that much. I'm probably streotypically white in some regards but I don't know how because that culture is so dominate and has existed so long as such a dominate culture. I feel I relate to my western roots lately more then ever in certain ways, but not for anyways for reasons race related. I've realized that I'm probably as western as they come I suppose, and it's sad but I feel as though it's all been forgotten about now almost.

    I'm French too, and I don't know, does that just fall under the bracket of "European"? I like them a lot, too. I almost feel like there's just "Free people's" running through my veins, and that's probably why I'm like this more then anything.

  8. #78
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    19,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Which words or references could really define me, if they exist ?
    I don't believe all cultures are equal. And this raises an interesting question: how do we know what is good and bad in a particular culture?

    This is a very big question, so I orientate myself with a touchstone.

    My touchstone is child rearing because child rearing substantially determines the personality.

    And this is germane to Typology Central because it is devoted to personality.

    And it turns out the history of child rearing shows a progression in child rearing from sacrificial child rearing, to abusive or blaming child rearing, to authoritarian or controlling child rearing, to finally to helping child rearing where the child is helped to achieve their life goals.

    Each form of child rearing creates a particular form of personality from the paranoid personality, to the blaming personality, to the controlling personality, to finally the empathic and creative personality.

    Do read the history of childhood by clicking on Chapter 1: The Evolution of Childhood | The Association for Psychohistory and read the critique by Alice Miller by clicking on Alice Miller: A critique of Lloyd deMause
    Likes Cloudpatrol, Blackmail! liked this post

  9. #79
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,738

    Default

    I am America
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

  10. #80
    Senior(ita) Member Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    I wish I could convey how helpful this was to me in understanding my SIL's parenting style I thank you from my heart for sharing = providing me with insight @nonsequitur

    The part of me that is very very stereotypically Asian: survival/education first. I loved history but would never have done an arts degree at university because I needed a defined career path. Money is to be saved, re-invested. I'm highly risk-averse and am constantly thinking in terms of allocation of resources. I have a work ethic. I'm very circumspect about my relationships with other people. Now that I'm an adult, I would not ask my parents for financial help - it is my role to give them money and support them instead.
    It's lovely when children are responsible and wise with finances = and then CAN show filial gratitude!

    I do not depend on my parents for emotional support either. I understand that it is my role as a child to be like a financial investment in a long-term bond with certain returns, and silent trophy to be shown off to relatives and society. That implies they are good people because they raised a successful child. Further, I am not to complain about being seen in these terms.
    The bold is what I really recognize in my SIL and her family. I so appreciate you putting the words to what I have been trying to discern. The Asian side thinks our side is overly complimentary and focuses too much on the inner person. My side of the family is fascinated by the push to excel and long-term thinking. But, honestly, everyone is united for the one cause and I think the differences combine to form a great environment to grow within.

    Thanks, I don't believe that I can be everything that I want to be - but I do think that it's in trying that we get to see beyond what we think possible.
    Nice!

    Yes, I do! I will go back next year. That's how I'm very white - I still put my foot down for the life that I want to lead and make my own major life decisions.
    Cool. I respect this because ultimately: only we can be responsible for the consequences of our decision making processes.

Similar Threads

  1. [Enne] What type did your culture raise you to be?
    By EJCC in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-18-2017, 03:00 AM
  2. Do you think whiteness is predominantly desirable feature in your culture/community?
    By Duffy in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-15-2016, 03:28 PM
  3. Cellphones to keep track of your purchases -- and you
    By heart in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 07:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO