User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Thought I'd chime in because both of my parents are pretty into geneology. I'm a euro mutt essentially with (despite the hilarity of the all too true comment @themightyfetus made-- really, I laughed ) I am actually 6.25% Cherokee. This is simple math from the knowledge that my Dad's great grandmother Frankie was full Cherokee.

From there, I don't mess around with percentages, because it's otherwise impossible to know. Majority of my heratage is Scottish, Irish, Dutch and German-- both of my parents are of the first two, but Mom with German, Dad with Dutch. The most interesting tid bits I've unearthed (that I would say may reflect on who I am) are 1) that my paternal Irish heritage is very probably Norse-Irish because our family immigrated from Armagh in Northern Ireland, a site of some larger Viking raids. I sometimes joke that my ancestors were raped by Vikings, but it's probably not a joke (and apologies if that's offensive). That part of my family immigrated to Charleston in 1641. 2) My Dad's side has a revolutionary war figure, but after the war, the family moved to West Virginia and Kentucky and basically became professional Hillbillies-- seriously, my great uncle Agnor manufactured moonshine on his property for most of his life.

This all should reveal some info about me. Haha! In truth, I'm not sure how much I can attribute who I am to my heritage (probably not much), but I am very moved by remembering the sacrifices many of my ancestors made, and the hardships they faced, so I could be alive and have oppertunities today.

EDIT
    Actually, it does reflect on who I am, just not in the throwaway "you're Irish, so you have a bad temper" way that my Dad and brother use as a cop out. I think scrappy-ness, adaptability and oneness with nature are absolute traits of my family. We tend to "figure it out" and make do even in hard circumstances-- perhaps each in their different way, but those themes are there. My Dad, Brother and I are also pretty intense people, I'll pin that on the Viking stuff.
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨
    Likes fetus, cascadeco, Cloudpatrol, Dr Mobius liked this post

We share Viking, German & Irish backgrounds

I hope my ancestors treated yours proper if they crossed paths Amazing you found back to 1641! Ha! I so would like to hear more about Agnor and his hillbilly proclivities

A relative of mine made moonshine also. His still caught fire and he went back into the house for his young wife and child. Regrettably, they died and he was burned very badly over 90% of his body. He was a very handsome man, but I only ever knew him as having a sort of mask for a face. His nostrils were open more at the base and his skin was shiny and puckered in odd places. Like someone had sewn him a face but it had been attached a bit askew.

The interesting thing is that as children we took no note of this. We would climb over him and I remember it was a REVELATION to me the first time I saw someone was afraid of him. He married again and my cousin is his Grand-daughter.

Sounds like you inherited some admirable traits

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    Fan of your abilities and ambitions. I have a good friend who is Malay and I really enjoy when they tell me about the economy structure and dynamics there. I also like the home-cooking.

I appreciated your perspective on being open-minded while detached. Also the thoughts about how your religious view was shaped by the disparity of beliefs available.

Your stories are heavy on the feelz. Actually that is too casual of an expression for the depth and scope of your work. The first two pieces were very moving. I felt myself having strong reactions to both for different reasons. I enjoy the location-focused themes of the two final pieces. Hopefully will be able to read more from you.

Thanks so much for participating here. You are RICH with culture heritage and influence
    Haha Thanks for creating and inviting me to this thread. Reading upon your own, and the stories and impacts of others' cultural heritage has been fascinating

Also, I'm glad you liked my writing pieces, they are still a working progress. Both are true stories, and I think it's important to spread awareness of certain happenings around the world.

You seem to be very interested in food and cooking, that's pretty cool. Regretfully, that is an area I'm not too well-versed in.... I don't know the names of the majority of the dishes and I can only make simple things haha xD
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Taratango View Post
    Haha Thanks for creating and inviting me to this thread. Reading upon your own, and the stories and impacts of others' cultural heritage has been fascinating

Also, I'm glad you liked my writing pieces. Both are true stories, and I think it's important to spread awareness of certain happenings around the world.

You seem to be very interested in food and cooking, that's pretty cool. Regretfully, that is an area I'm not too well-versed in.... I don't know the names of the majority of the dishes and I can only make simple things haha xD
    Yeah, I am always looking to expand my repertoire with dishes from other global locations. Where I live there are great Turkish, Vietnamese, Russian, Japanese, Persian etcetera restaurants and I like to try and replicate the food at home

No worries! You provided a wealth of treasures. Look forward to reading more from you!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    I thought the same. That white meant just that and I didn't qualify Do you cook Italian food? Olive complexion skin is so beautiful!
    I cook some Italian food, but my mother's family was from Canada, so there was influence from there, too.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I cook some Italian food, but my mother's family was from Canada, so there was influence from there, too.
    It's pleasantly surprising to find the majority of member's I talk to have some Canadian connection

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I have extended family in Hamilton and Toronto.
    Likes asynartetic, Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

I'm ethnically Chinese. Grew up on a certain over-achieving island in South-East Asia. Moved to Australia (Melbourne) for 9 years, currently back with my parents, moving back next year. My maternal grandmother was half-Vietnamese. My paternal grandparents were from China (Guangzhou), and so was my maternal grandfather. All my grandparents migrated here before WWII, and had a deep hatred of the Japanese. My paternal grandparents were quite well-off. My maternal grandfather was a cobbler and my maternal grandmother was a washerwoman. They struggled financially but managed to put my mom and her siblings through university, and instilled in my mom a belief that if she wanted, she could do anything.

I went to Chinese schools through K-12. I'm familiar with Chinese history/literature, did calligraphy and traditional dance was compulsory. Naturally, I speak/read/write Mandarin (but not my family's dialect, cantonese). I also speak/read/write Japanese but that's unrelated to my ethnicity.

What else..? Ah. My family and Chinese friends say that I'm a banana (yellow on the outside, white on the inside) but there's definitely bits of me that are very very Asian. I don't think it's possible to find a perfect cultural fit for myself, but it's definitely easier to live in a Western country because people are not as judgmental/narrow-minded.
    "How badly did you have to break it to make it care about people so much?"
    "That didn't break it. It's what made it work."

5w6 1w9 2w1, sp/so

However You Project Me
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

Too lazy to figure out percentages so here we go (all 4th generation or less):

French, English, Austrian, Slovenian, Portuguese, Peruvian, and American.

Fun Facts:
    I was black in 3rd Grade (2001).
    Asian (oriental) in 11th grade (2010).
    Mexican from senior year in high school to being in college. (2011-2012).
    Czech-Slovakian in 2013.
    Arabic and Indian in 2014.

Yeah, my amazing heritage. Forever is from all around the world. Hopefully someone claims me to be Australian in the near future. Got to practice my accent for this one. (The others were not by imitation or accent, just weird perceptions of me.)

Maybe we can save the world
    From every evil boy and dangerous girl
    Please make me believe in harmony

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    3/4 Brit/Anglo-Saxon/Native American
    1/8 Danish
    1/8 German (possibly Jewish German, as I researched my mother's German surname and found it was a common Jewish surname in the olde country)

It is possible I have some French, Belgian and Scottish ancestry, but I cannot prove this.

- - - Updated - - -

Some of my mom's relatives settled in Canada, so I have distant relatives there.
    My Dad dated a Danish girl and lived there for a bit, before marrying my Mom. They remained friends and She & her Husband (and then later their kids) have come to visit us. As a result, my family loves Denmark. Do you know much about that side?

@nonsequitur

I'm ethnically Chinese. Grew up on a certain over-achieving island in South-East Asia. Moved to Australia (Melbourne) for 9 years, currently back with my parents, moving back next year. My maternal grandmother was half-Vietnamese. My paternal grandparents were from China (Guangzhou), and so was my maternal grandfather. All my grandparents migrated here before WWII, and had a deep hatred of the Japanese. My paternal grandparents were quite well-off. My maternal grandfather was a cobbler and my maternal grandmother was a washerwoman. They struggled financially but managed to put my mom and her siblings through university, and instilled in my mom a belief that if she wanted, she could do anything.

I went to Chinese schools through K-12. I'm familiar with Chinese history/literature, did calligraphy and traditional dance was compulsory. Naturally, I speak/read/write Mandarin (but not my family's dialect, cantonese). I also speak/read/write Japanese but that's unrelated to my ethnicity.

What else..? Ah. My family and Chinese friends say that I'm a banana (yellow on the outside, white on the inside) but there's definitely bits of me that are very very Asian. I don't think it's possible to find a perfect cultural fit for myself, but it's definitely easier to live in a Western country because people are not as judgmental/narrow-minded.
    My SIL is from Taiwan and also gets called a banana. Interesting that you feel 'between worlds'. If you feel comfortable: when you say parts of you are very very Asian, what do you mean

I love your Grandparent's varying backgrounds and what the maternal side instilled in your Mom. I don't know you very well but from what I do, it seems like you took that message to heart also

You love Australian life? You will go back?
    Likes nonsequitur liked this post