User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 112

  1. #51
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,987

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    Are you REALLY white? I check the 'white' box but am really more peaches and cream to be honest...
    More or less. English and French on one side, Finnish and Irish on the other.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

  2. #52
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    19,337

    Default

    The first thing is to learn what is our own cultural heritage. This can take decades. The next thing is to apply critical thinking to our own cultural heritage. And the third thing is to add something new to our own cultural heritage for future generations.

    But most of us don't even get to first base, never mind hit a home run. We are seduced by the worst in our culture and ignore the best.
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

  3. #53
    nice 4 what? chickpea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,250

    Default

    25% British
    25% German
    25% Belarusian Jew
    25% somewhere else in Eastern Europe Jew idk probably Russia

    I really never felt that connected to my culture in any significant ways. being a Jew in an area with very few Jewish kids was strange and caused me to identify with that more. but I've never been a practicing Jew or part of any Jewish culture in my life. I credit my Jewish side for my sense of humor though because my mom isn't funny at all lol.

    I did my family tree a while back and it was pretty interesting. on the British side I was able to find relatives dating back to the 1200s. Jewish side could barely find anything.

  4. #54
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,293

    Default

    I'm Alpine German (the sort Hitler found less desirable, apparently like him?), Scots-Irish, and Native American (Cherokee, Shawnee).

    I grew up in West Virginia so this affected me by a simple earthy early childhood. I grew up barefoot and close to the land, and this is probably due to the Native American side, my grandfather was really connected to the earth and animals and it really seemed to affect him when he wasn't. He taught me names of birds, things city children don't learn. He was quiet and obstinate.

    My mother was social and beautiful, and I think took after my grandmother. Happy and free spirited.

    I love the sea (Thalassa, hello) and my entire family loves the ocean. This is probably the Scots-Irish. My family eats a lot of seafood, it was hardest for me to transition from as vegetarian, and my grandfather and uncle were Navy, and the beach is my mother's dream place, and I love water and have been able to swim since I was a child.

    The German side makes me harsh, precise and that sort of thing. In my family it physically showed up in the order of my home growing up, like SJ on acid, friends in high school said my home reminded them of a hotel.

    But the 80s. I feel like my collective unconscious is the American 80s.

    Also, I'm from the South, and that also makes me land loving and obstinate.

  5. #55
    Senior(ita) Member Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    25% British
    25% German
    25% Belarusian Jew
    25% somewhere else in Eastern Europe Jew idk probably Russia

    I really never felt that connected to my culture in any significant ways. being a Jew in an area with very few Jewish kids was strange and caused me to identify with that more. but I've never been a practicing Jew or part of any Jewish culture in my life. I credit my Jewish side for my sense of humor though because my mom isn't funny at all lol.

    I did my family tree a while back and it was pretty interesting. on the British side I was able to find relatives dating back to the 1200s. Jewish side could barely find anything.
    Neat. I had the opposite experience. In grade 4 I went to a Jewish School (but am not Jewish). I only left because we moved, and I was heartbroken. It was the BEST experience. I still love the food and when I go to heavily Jewish populated regions in Montreal...I feel at home. I "get" the funny you inherited

    I wonder why you couldn't find records for the Jewish side - the story behind... That is amazing that you could go back to the 1200's. Did you do the family tree for school or just based on your own desire?

  6. #56
    Senior(ita) Member Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    When I was really small I used to think we - my family and people like us - weren't white (we are). White folks were some other people elsewhere whose skin was pure white, like the color of standard copy paper. My father's family is of Italian descent, so more olive complexion, which probably contributed to this misconception.
    I thought the same. That white meant just that and I didn't qualify Do you cook Italian food? Olive complexion skin is so beautiful!

  7. #57
    Senior(ita) Member Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    I'm Alpine German (the sort Hitler found less desirable, apparently like him?), Scots-Irish, and Native American (Cherokee, Shawnee).

    I grew up in West Virginia so this affected me by a simple earthy early childhood. I grew up barefoot and close to the land, and this is probably due to the Native American side, my grandfather was really connected to the earth and animals and it really seemed to affect him when he wasn't. He taught me names of birds, things city children don't learn. He was quiet and obstinate.

    My mother was social and beautiful, and I think took after my grandmother. Happy and free spirited.

    I love the sea (Thalassa, hello) and my entire family loves the ocean. This is probably the Scots-Irish. My family eats a lot of seafood, it was hardest for me to transition from as vegetarian, and my grandfather and uncle were Navy, and the beach is my mother's dream place, and I love water and have been able to swim since I was a child.

    The German side makes me harsh, precise and that sort of thing. In my family it physically showed up in the order of my home growing up, like SJ on acid, friends in high school said my home reminded them of a hotel.

    But the 80s. I feel like my collective unconscious is the American 80s.

    Also, I'm from the South, and that also makes me land loving and obstinate.
    Oh, I love everything about this.

    What a heritage - the Cherokee have always intrigued me. I think I would have loved your Grandfather. I like old, curmudgeon men in general, but his love for the earth is so compelling also.

    Do you know how your Grandfather and Grandmother met?

    I share your love for water. I grew up on a freshwater lake and live near the ocean now. It's so important for parent's to teach children to swim!

    What an interesting thought about South=land loving. I hadn't thought of that before but it makes sense as soon as one hears it
    Likes Thalassa liked this post

  8. #58
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    Oh, I love everything about this.

    What a heritage - the Cherokee have always intrigued me. I think I would have loved your Grandfather. I like old, curmudgeon men in general, but his love for the earth is so compelling also.

    Do you know how your Grandfather and Grandmother met?

    I share your love for water. I grew up on a freshwater lake and live near the ocean now. It's so important for parent's to teach children to swim!

    What an interesting thought about South=land loving. I hadn't thought of that before but it makes sense as soon as one hears it
    Oh thank you. How nice to meet a friend.

    I know my grandmother and her sister were wild for 40s-50s women, my grandfather bragged about that, and my mom said her mother was so open minded, and liked to sing...and you can very much see this in my mother and us.. my grandfather found her very beautiful. She also loved cats, my mom keeps this huge picture of my grandmother at 18-25 holding this fluffy gray cat, this tinted sepia photo. I honestly don't know exactly how they met.

    Yes though my grandfather was a curmudgeon, he loved to read and educate others, but he also grew all his own vegetables, planted trees, made grape jelly from his own grapes, we lived in a house that he and my uncle built, I only realized late that I had started to become him after 30, wanting to DIY and I always liked nature, but to actually cultivate and protect it.

    He was lovely. Gave me a penchant for mysterious men, but also quietly affectionate men. I always tried to read his feelings, at least until I was 12-14. I think it shaped my personality.

    Yes Southern people are very land loving. There's a theory that the Scots-Irish permeated the South, and saw land as primary wealth, which affected the Civil War and even current politics in terms of Southern people and conservative values about land. I'm not necessarily this way, but I see a strong need to protect it, and my sister is very intent on buying property, "even if it's for my family to lay down together and die."

  9. #59
    Senior(ita) Member Cloudpatrol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    2,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh thank you. How nice to meet a friend.

    I know my grandmother and her sister were wild for 40s-50s women, my grandfather bragged about that, and my mom said her mother was so open minded, and liked to sing...and you can very much see this in my mother and us.. my grandfather found her very beautiful. She also loved cats, my mom keeps this huge picture of my grandmother at 18-25 holding this fluffy gray cat, this tinted sepia photo. I honestly don't know exactly how they met.

    Yes though my grandfather was a curmudgeon, he loved to read and educate others, but he also grew all his own vegetables, planted trees, made grape jelly from his own grapes, we lived in a house that he and my uncle built, I only realized late that I had started to become him after 30, wanting to DIY and I always liked nature, but to actually cultivate and protect it.

    He was lovely. Gave me a penchant for mysterious men, but also quietly affectionate men. I always tried to read his feelings, at least until I was 12-14. I think it shaped my personality.

    Yes Southern people are very land loving. There's a theory that the Scots-Irish permeated the South, and saw land as primary wealth, which affected the Civil War and even current politics in terms of Southern people and conservative values about land. I'm not necessarily this way, but I see a strong need to protect it, and my sister is very intent on buying property, "even if it's for my family to lay down together and die."
    All of this is so great. I can just imagine us sitting over bowls of soup or with a cup of tea and you regaling me with tales of your family

    So, do YOU like singing and cats?

    He was lovely. Gave me a penchant for mysterious men, but also quietly affectionate men. I always tried to read his feelings, at least until I was 12-14. I think it shaped my personality.
    What a great self-observation. Isn't it remarkable how adults affect us, as children? I am mindful of that when I have the privilege of being an important part of a child's life. I tend to talk to kids the same way I talk to other adults

    Self-sufficiency through gardening is a great thing!

    and my sister is very intent on buying property, "even if it's for my family to lay down together and die."
    She sounds like a character! (smile)

    Thanks so much for sharing!
    Likes Thalassa, ZNP-TBA liked this post

  10. #60
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    All of this is so great. I can just imagine us sitting over bowls of soup or with a cup of tea and you regaling me with tales of your family

    So, do YOU like singing and cats?



    What a great self-observation. Isn't it remarkable how adults affect us, as children? I am mindful of that when I have the privilege of being an important part of a child's life. I tend to talk to kids the same way I talk to other adults

    Self-sufficiency through gardening is a great thing!



    She sounds like a character! (smile)

    Thanks so much for sharing!


    Yes! I would love to talk with you. And yes, I have sang, in church, from seven years old, love pop music from childhood, and singing is my musical talent which trumps my piano playing *the skill my father wanted me to have above, all else*

    I'm also a huge, unapologetic cat lover, seems you are too!

    Yes, affecting children is an important experience. I am always mindful when talking to neices, or nephews, and I also tend to talk to children the way I talk to other adults ...and consider my 18 year old nephew who is the product of a teen pregnancy an excellent model of a human being. I love him so much, and an so proud of how we collectively raised him to be a gentleman despite his troubled mother.

    My grandfather is similar. I endlessly have the sensation of having a Victorian arm in arm walk with my grandparents until around age 15. I don't blame them for anything past that.

    My sister is actually very smart, she's a little conspiracy but I love her awareness, especially now that she has a son.
    Likes Cloudpatrol, ZNP-TBA liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. [Enne] What type did your culture raise you to be?
    By EJCC in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-18-2017, 03:00 AM
  2. Do you think whiteness is predominantly desirable feature in your culture/community?
    By Duffy in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-15-2016, 03:28 PM
  3. Cellphones to keep track of your purchases -- and you
    By heart in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-01-2008, 07:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO