User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by florpoetis View Post
    Both sides of my family are Cuban with Spanish ancestry. Cuba people are so mixed though that I'm sure there's some percentage of African and Native background as well.
    Very passionate, proudful people (similar to Italians). Love of food, dance, family traditions.
    Love Cuba and it's culture! Bet there are some really neat stories in your history

I got FASCINATED by Cuba after watching this video on the link between practical seduction/dancing etc in Cuban culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzie View Post
    I am 75% Mexican which im sure it includes some indiginus blood as well other than Aztec and Spaniards. I don't know my biological dad side of the family at all. All I know is he from Mexico.
    25% German, English, Irish, maybe Swedish, Native American and still learning about my mom European side of the family as well.

My mom was born and raised in the US. As my step dad was born and raised in Mexico. I felt like I was raised in two different cultures. My mom was more wanting us to be independent, responsible and be able to make our own decisions. Where my step dad was more wants us to work hard all the time, make alot of money, and have an attitude of it the women responsiblity to cooks, be submissive, takes care of everything else and work, while the men works (honestly I clashed quite a bit with how my dad wanted us to be raised).

I do not look hispanic at all. but Ive been told that my body looks more German but my height is Mexican lol. and my athletic side came from the German blood. I really hope I can travel to Germany soon. It be great to learn about the German culture as Im pretty unfamiliar with there background.
    For the spanish side. My likes of bright colors and being more family oriented came from the spanish culture my mom would tell me. visiting several latin countries within the last few years has changed me alot in a good way and it was great to learn about my spanish side.
    Hope you can get out to Germany! Would be great to know both sides more intimately. I really enjoy experiencing Latin culture also

@Kyeuui There are so many great TypeC peeps in Texas. Hollah!

The kolaches sound amazing. I appreciated your thoughts on America offering opportunity. Travel really brings that HOME (pun intended, wink).
    Likes Lia_kat liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    Love Cuba and it's culture! Bet there are some really neat stories in your history

I got FASCINATED by Cuba after watching this video on the link between practical seduction/dancing etc in Cuban culture.

Hope you can get out to Germany! Would be great to know both sides more intimately. I really enjoy experiencing Latin culture also
    got fascin8 by dem garments
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

My mother is Thai and Japanese who was born and raised in Thailand.
    My father is Malaysian and Chinese who was born and raised in Malaysia (my dad's side has a little bit of Indian heritage too, but I'm not sure if it can be counted).
    Both my parents came to Australia in their teenage years. I was born and raised in Australia

Apart from Aussie culture, I would say I am more connected to the Malaysian and Thai culture. My Chinese ancestors came to Malaysian four generations ago, and my mother is a second generation half-Japanese in Thailand (so even my parents feel detached from their other half) .

The main influences I can think of right now include:

Identity and values:
    One of the main advantages of having a mixed ethnic background is that it makes it easier for one to be open minded and progressive (I've always hated gender roles, racial stereotypes, homophobia etc). It makes one view people as individuals, and not an extension of their ethnic and genetic make up.
    However, having many different backgrounds made me more detached to each culture and tradition I was connected to. It made it easier to forget each one, it was harder to identify with something and decide where I truly belong (because neither side fully accepted the other). I guess it made it easier for me to identify as Australian and feel more connected to the Australian culture because it was the main influence that remained constant. Australia is also a country of immigrants, so there are many cultures mixed into it and the "melting-pot" vibe of my community was something I could relate to.

Religious views:
    It probably made me realise my atheism a lot quicker (though, I'm sure I would've ditched religion eventually even if I wasn't of mixed heritage). My father was raised in a Muslim country (though half of his family is Hindu and buddhist), my mother was raised in a Buddhist country (though half her family is Shinto)... and I was put in a Catholic convent school for 6 years. Being exposed to so many religions at a young age prevented me from the potential of being so heavily influenced by one religion and thus, making it easier to focus on what was solid and not follow something blindly.

Passion for language and culture:
    Being exposed to many different cultures and languages growing up sparked my deep passion for learning about different cultures and my aspiration to be a polyglot in the future.
    My father can speak English, Bahasa Malayu, Tamil, Cantonese and Hokkien. My mother can speak English, Thai, Theochew and some Japanese. I grew up monolingual for the most part, as the medium language at home was English (due to it being the only common language between my parents) and is also the only main language in Australia. But as soon as the opportunity to learn any language arose, I would grab it straight away. I would try to pick up any Thai or Malay I heard when I visited those respective countries, I also had the opportunity to learn French in primary and high school and Mandarin in high school. I now learn Japanese at university.
    I also love travelling. I hope to travel and spend some time across many different continents one day (if I have the cash that is T.T poor uni student here)

Creative writing:
    It has also been my inspiration for a few of my pieces (they're still in progress)
    https://www.wattpad.com/story/359879...-that-could-be
    https://www.wattpad.com/story/35991584-may-13th
    https://www.wattpad.com/story/111402...-for-australia
    Likes Cloudpatrol, Dr Mobius liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Taratango View Post
    My mother is Thai and Japanese who was born and raised in Thailand.
    My father is Malaysian and Chinese who was born and raised in Malaysia (my dad's side has a little bit of Indian heritage too, but I'm not sure if it can be counted).
    Both my parents came to Australia in their teenage years. I was born and raised in Australia

Apart from Aussie culture, I would say I am more connected to the Malaysian and Thai culture. My Chinese ancestors came to Malaysian four generations ago, and my mother is a second generation half-Japanese in Thailand (so even my parents feel detached from their other half) .

The main influences I can think of right now include:

Identity and values:
    One of the main advantages of having a mixed ethnic background is that it makes it easier for one to be open minded and progressive (I've always hated gender roles, racial stereotypes, homophobia etc). It makes one view people as individuals, and not an extension of their ethnic and genetic make up.
    However, having many different backgrounds made me more detached to each culture and tradition I was connected to. It made it easier to forget each one, it was harder to identify with something and decide where I truly belong (because neither side fully accepted the other). I guess it made it easier for me to identify as Australian and feel more connected to the Australian culture because it was the main influence that remained constant. Australia is also a country of immigrants, so there are many cultures mixed into it and the "melting-pot" vibe of my community was something I could relate to.

Religious views:
    It probably made me realise my atheism a lot quicker (though, I'm sure I would've ditched religion eventually even if I wasn't of mixed heritage). My father was raised in a Muslim country (though half of his family is Hindu and buddhist), my mother was raised in a Buddhist country (though half her family is Shinto)... and I was put in a Catholic convent school for 6 years. Being exposed to so many religions at a young age prevented me from the potential of being so heavily influenced by one religion and thus, making it easier to focus on what was solid and not follow something blindly.

Passion for language and culture:
    Being exposed to many different cultures and languages growing up sparked my deep passion for learning about different cultures and my aspiration to be a polyglot in the future.
    My father can speak English, Bahasa Malayu, Tamil, Cantonese and Hokkien. My mother can speak English, Thai, Theochew and some Japanese. I grew up monolingual for the most part, as the medium language at home was English (due to it being the only common language between my parents) and is also the only main language in Australia. But as soon as the opportunity to learn any language arose, I would grab it straight away. I would try to pick up any Thai or Malay I heard when I visited those respective countries, I also had the opportunity to learn French in primary and high school and Mandarin in high school. I now learn Japanese at university.
    I also love travelling. I hope to travel and spend some time across many different continents one day (if I have the cash that is T.T poor uni student here)

Creative writing:
    It has also been my inspiration for a few of my pieces (they're still in progress)
    https://www.wattpad.com/story/359879...-that-could-be
    https://www.wattpad.com/story/35991584-may-13th
    https://www.wattpad.com/story/111402...-for-australia
    Fan of your abilities and ambitions. I have a good friend who is Malay and I really enjoy when they tell me about the economy structure and dynamics there. I also like the home-cooking.

I appreciated your perspective on being open-minded while detached. Also the thoughts about how your religious view was shaped by the disparity of beliefs available.

Your stories are heavy on the feelz. Actually that is too casual of an expression for the depth and scope of your work. The first two pieces were very moving. I felt myself having strong reactions to both for different reasons. I enjoy the location-focused themes of the two final pieces. Hopefully will be able to read more from you.

Thanks so much for participating here. You are RICH with culture heritage and influence

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

I'm pretty much a generic white guy.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Do liberals have a heritage?

In most of their campaigning it seems like something to be ashamed of and disown.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

As far as I know it's mainly British, poss some Russian from my grandfather but he was out of the picture before i was born so it's a little mysterious and unclear. I have a little olive in my skin though. I think it' possible, given a family name which goes back (so far traced) to the 1600's which is recurring through the female line and was first introduced into Britain by the Romans, that there is some Italian/Roman blood. Tracking our lines back for hundreds of years mainly just brings up British, probably related to a royal or two.

Culturally I was raised in a pretty out there liberal environment, so I suppose I have some of that mixed in with some lesser amount of western institutionalism.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    I'm pretty much a generic white guy.
    Are you REALLY white? I check the 'white' box but am really more peaches and cream to be honest...

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    As far as I know it's mainly British, poss some Russian from my grandfather but he was out of the picture before i was born so it's a little mysterious and unclear. I have a little olive in my skin though. I think it' possible, given a family name which goes back (so far traced) to the 1600's which is recurring through the female line and was first introduced into Britain by the Romans, that there is some Italian/Roman blood. Tracking our lines back for hundreds of years mainly just brings up British, probably related to a royal or two.

Culturally I was raised in a pretty out there liberal environment, so I suppose I have some of that mixed in with some lesser amount of western institutionalism.
    Mmmm, I love the olive skin tones. Amazing that it persists in the FEMALE line. Wonder why that is?

I sometimes joke I am 82,453 in line to the throne. Because aren't we all?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    Are you REALLY white? I check the 'white' box but am really more peaches and cream to be honest...
    When I was really small I used to think we - my family and people like us - weren't white (we are). White folks were some other people elsewhere whose skin was pure white, like the color of standard copy paper. My father's family is of Italian descent, so more olive complexion, which probably contributed to this misconception.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...