First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp
    Socionics
    ILI None

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    Too many talk about them talk about them almost like they don't exist anymore don't real have that much relevance in today's world, lol.

There's still quite a few of them around, they just like to keep a low profile I think.

In Canada, their presence is generally more well known about, I'm guessing unlike in the States maybe? They protest a lot, and surprisingly seem to be one of the most democratic groups or people in Canada. I mean at least, that's what you'd notice the most, or be the most perhaps prolific of the as a group, but it's pretty cool I think. They're still the one's who make the most of their democratic and individual freedom and voices. Anyway, they do other things and are not just some ancient group in the past, they are again just sort of on the down low. I think they like it like that.
    Lol, I agree. IME, it depends on where you live in the US. There's not a strong Native presence in the city I live in, so that results in odd behavior/beliefs from strangers when they find out that Native Americans live among them. My dad, on the other hand, lives in a state where the Native population lives on autonomous territory so their presence is much more visible.
    Likes Blackout, Cloudpatrol liked this post

However You Project Me
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI4 Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudpatrol View Post
    Yeah, you are exotic looking Forever. I can see why you have had so many questions applied to your aesthetic presentation.

I am not exotic looking but do find I constantly get asked if I am: Latino (hourglass figure), French (I think the way my lips move?), Middle Eastern (glossy, curly hair if not straightened), Italian (gestures), Nordic (pale skin) etc. I have a theory that fashion has something to do with it too I get asked about being European if I dress classy, Latino if more colourfully attired etcetera.

Some of my closest friends are from Slovenia. Have you been to Peru? Is there any one side that you identify with more?
    What if you dress classy and colorfully? A hybrid child?

Oh that's nice!

Yes I have. I have been to the streets of Lima and went to Machu Picchu. It's terrifically beautiful up there. And the Incans and early natives were quite ingenious over there how they build things without the use of tools we have today. It seems impossible or inhuman without our understanding.

My mom is half white so she was quite in contrast to how everyone over there looks. I was mistakened to think everyone looked like my mom lol.

When you go to a different country and are not used to it, everyone looks the same. It's sad but it's true! There's a social psychological term and every ignorant kid and even adults still can't tell apart Hispanics and Asians. It's sad.
    Maybe we can save the world
    From every evil boy and dangerous girl
    Please make me believe in harmony
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Default Your Cultural Heritage + YOU

Cool Duckie! I adore Lebanese peeps = some of the most hospitable and loving. And, the food The first time I got invited over to some friend's they said 'come over for coffee'. So, I ate first and went expecting to drink coffee. I got there and the tables were laden, overflowing with food. Stuffed pastries, roasted meats, salads, dips, desserts... Now, I know not to eat anything that day, if I am going over.
    Where I come from there used to be no hotels in some cities, towns, villages etc. because houses used to contain a room or rooms for guests, and they would be served properly as long as they stay without a cost, those who take costs for it were considered rude and have no hospitality, and the head of the tribe should be the most generous man of his tribe..
    My great great great maternal grandfather (I don't know how long does this goes) is still called "the man with a slanted tray" because he was known for his good hospitality that the tray of food which he used to serve his guests with was so heavy that it usually slants..
    My dad's uncles were the head of the tribe also and used to have a very big place for guests, unfortunately they were both killed by extremists brats one after another for being "too moderate Muslims" about solving issues..
    Work for a cause not for Applause
    Live to express not to Impress

“sometimes... confused people are funnier, nicer, and more open-minded than non-confused people.” labyrinthine

6w7 > 1w2 > 4

@Zeno

Haha, thank you
    Ya honestly I think the views on racially mixed families depend on the mix and the place. For example, in America, there's still people who frown at those families that have a white parent and a black parent. Meanwhile, I don't think in America there's as much of that connotation for mixes of white and Asian. However, in Asia there's a bit of a different connotation for mixes of white and asian. Particularly in my Asian side (Korea) they view themselves as one blood. They literally all see themselves as a larger family, one people. However, half white half asian people are not really in that group. When I've gone to Korea my brother and I have been called half-bloods. So we aren't really in that network so to say. That's not to say it's an inherently negative connotation. My brother and I have been called handsome many times due to our mix, and in many ways we're seen in a positive connotation because we're American (which is a country they generally like) and because Koreans kind of like the appearance of white people (in my opinion). I don't think this is just unique to Korea. There's a lot of very famous models, actors, and singers in Asia who are a mix of white and asian.
    I really value hearing your perspectives on this. In Canada, it is largely a non-issue. Yet, I have been surprised occasionally at seeing people's negative reactions to my Brother and SIL (caucasian and asian). Yet, when they go back to her Home, people treat my Brother like a King. Her family considers it prestigious that she has a white husband and enjoy's introducing him proudly... They are even happier that there is a mixed baby now. So, I can relate to what you are saying, even if not at a first-person level.

So I haven't been to Europe at all. I've gone to Korea about 5 times in my life, and I might be going there again in a couple of months. I've always been amazed by how fast it has changed. It was very different when I was young, compared to the recent time I visited. I mean I've even noticed the culture change, where in many respects the youth act VERY like the youth in America. Always staring at their phone, wearing very stylish clothes and hair styles. Really interesting stuff. One of my most memorable experiences, is when I was staying at a very fancy hotel my first time in Korea, I was probably around 10. And right across the street, I was in a parking lot for the hotel, there was a hut. It was raining very hard, and I noticed a old lady in the hut peeling onions. I don't think that noticing such a stark contrast in wealth ever affected me as much as it did then.
    Interesting how things have changed, and how rapidly. I ADORE your story of the woman peeling onions. I could imagine it like a movie scene as I read your words.

So I'm related to a king as well. It's not very far up my line. He was my great-great-great grandfather, I believe; and he was on my German side. He wasn't a great king by any means, and by great I mean a king of a large kingdom. He was a king of a smaller kingdom, at the time when Germany was ruled by many different kingdoms. Apparently Bismark, I believe, called on all the kings to help in a war. So my grandfather (I will call him grandfather so I don't have to use great so much), left his kingdom to go fight, and left his brother in charge while he was gone. When the war was over he came back, however, his brother banished him and claimed the kingdom.
    Treachery!

My grandfather then went to America with nothing but a silver spoon (literally). Eventually the American Civil War occurred. My grandfather had extensive military experience, and offered to take the place of a rich man's son for money. The offer was accepted, and he was put in the Union cavalry as an officer.
    I had never heard of such a thing before. Utterly fascinating!

He eventually got shot in his back, I believe, and ever since had to use a cane to walk. Now my great grandfather was raised by my great-great-great grandfather (the german king), because my great-grandfather's father (my great-great-grandfather) died before he was born. Now from what I hear, my great-great-great grandfather was a real hard ass, real strict German (in fact pretty much all the males on my father's line are real hard asses). So he was raised getting beat up by a cane and such. Anyway, with the money from the civil war my great-grandfather and great-great-great grandfather started investing in apartments in the Bronx. Apparently they became very very wealthy. I'm talking about equivalent of 5-10 million current USD. However, they stored their money in the banks. When the run on the banks occurred during the great depression my great-grandfather lost all of his money.
    My maternal great-grandfather also lost his fortune in the Depression. It affected so much of who my Grandmother was.

He apparently suffered a nervous break down, and my grandfather suffered the consequences. My great-grandfathers wife (or my grandfather's mother) died working in a factory. She worked underneath a vent which blew in cool air, and got pneumonia, she died very shortly after. So my grandfather's life was very harsh, because his father was abusive from the nervous breakdown, and his loving mother died when he was around 15. So in short my grandfather became a real hard ass to my dad because his dad was a hardass, and that explains why my dad is such a hard ass!
    Wow! I can't thank you enough for putting this down in words. It's amazing stuff. Especially neat in that it also lends information as to family characteristics. Are you a hard ass

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
    So I'm related to a king as well. It's not very far up my line. He was my great-great-great grandfather, I believe; and he was on my German side. He wasn't a great king by any means, and by great I mean a king of a large kingdom. He was a king of a smaller kingdom, at the time when Germany was ruled by many different kingdoms. Apparently Bismark, I believe, called on all the kings to help in a war. So my grandfather (I will call him grandfather so I don't have to use great so much), left his kingdom to go fight, and left his brother in charge while he was gone. When the war was over he came back, however, his brother banished him and claimed the kingdom. My grandfather then went to America with nothing but a silver spoon (literally). Eventually the American Civil War occurred. My grandfather had extensive military experience, and offered to take the place of a rich man's son for money. The offer was accepted, and he was put in the Union cavalry as an officer. He eventually got shot in his back, I believe, and ever since had to use a cane to walk. Now my great grandfather was raised by my great-great-great grandfather (the german king), because my great-grandfather's father (my great-great-grandfather) died before he was born. Now from what I hear, my great-great-great grandfather was a real hard ass, real strict German (in fact pretty much all the males on my father's line are real hard asses). So he was raised getting beat up by a cane and such. Anyway, with the money from the civil war my great-grandfather and great-great-great grandfather started investing in apartments in the Bronx. Apparently they became very very wealthy. I'm talking about equivalent of 5-10 million current USD. However, they stored their money in the banks. When the run on the banks occurred during the great depression my great-grandfather lost all of his money. He apparently suffered a nervous break down, and my grandfather suffered the consequences. My great-grandfathers wife (or my grandfather's mother) died working in a factory. She worked underneath a vent which blew in cool air, and got pneumonia, she died very shortly after. So my grandfather's life was very harsh, because his father was abusive from the nervous breakdown, and his loving mother died when he was around 15. So in short my grandfather became a real hard ass to my dad because his dad was a hardass, and that explains why my dad is such a hard ass!

End of story!
    IIRC the only war Germany fought under Bismarck before the American Civil War is the Second Schleswig War against the Danish. That was in 1864, so immediately before the American Civil War. It was fought between the kingdom of Denmark on one side and Prussia and the Austrian empire on the other. That could only be it if you were a member of the house of Prussia. But you said he was a minor "king" and I guess you'd know if you were a member of that house

The only kingdoms that existed at the time period you are describing are Prussia, Bavaria and Württemberg. The other former members of the German Confederation (that broke apart in 1848) were als duchies, not kingdoms. So unless you are a descendent of the King of Bavaria, Prussia or Württemberg (all huge important houses related to the great kings of Europe!) your great-great-great-...-grandfather is more likely to have been a duke, or rather the son of a duke.

Could it be that it wasn't Bismarck at all? I can't think of a single war in German history in the 19th century where somebody asked several kings/dukes/whatever to join against a common foe. Only the Napoleonic invasion comes to mind, but that was too early for your ancestor to still have fought in the Civil War.

I'm not a history buff, so I could be wrong, and I'm not here to burst your bubble, just genuinely curious.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
    So I'm related to a king as well. It's not very far up my line. He was my great-great-great grandfather, I believe; and he was on my German side. He wasn't a great king by any means, and by great I mean a king of a large kingdom. He was a king of a smaller kingdom, at the time when Germany was ruled by many different kingdoms. Apparently Bismark, I believe, called on all the kings to help in a war. So my grandfather (I will call him grandfather so I don't have to use great so much), left his kingdom to go fight, and left his brother in charge while he was gone. When the war was over he came back, however, his brother banished him and claimed the kingdom. My grandfather then went to America with nothing but a silver spoon (literally). Eventually the American Civil War occurred. My grandfather had extensive military experience, and offered to take the place of a rich man's son for money. The offer was accepted, and he was put in the Union cavalry as an officer. He eventually got shot in his back, I believe, and ever since had to use a cane to walk. Now my great grandfather was raised by my great-great-great grandfather (the german king), because my great-grandfather's father (my great-great-grandfather) died before he was born. Now from what I hear, my great-great-great grandfather was a real hard ass, real strict German (in fact pretty much all the males on my father's line are real hard asses). So he was raised getting beat up by a cane and such. Anyway, with the money from the civil war my great-grandfather and great-great-great grandfather started investing in apartments in the Bronx. Apparently they became very very wealthy. I'm talking about equivalent of 5-10 million current USD. However, they stored their money in the banks. When the run on the banks occurred during the great depression my great-grandfather lost all of his money. He apparently suffered a nervous break down, and my grandfather suffered the consequences. My great-grandfathers wife (or my grandfather's mother) died working in a factory. She worked underneath a vent which blew in cool air, and got pneumonia, she died very shortly after. So my grandfather's life was very harsh, because his father was abusive from the nervous breakdown, and his loving mother died when he was around 15. So in short my grandfather became a real hard ass to my dad because his dad was a hardass, and that explains why my dad is such a hard ass!

End of story!
    IIRC the only war Germany fought under Bismarck before the American Civil War is the Second Schleswig War against the Danish. That was in 1864, so immediately before the American Civil War. It was fought between the kingdom of Denmark on one side and Prussia and the Austrian empire on the other. That could only be it if you were a member of the house of Prussia. But you said he was a minor "king" and I guess you'd know if you were a member of that house

The only kingdoms that existed at the time period you are describing are Prussia, Bavaria and Württemberg. The other former members of the German Confederation (that broke apart in 1848) were als duchies, not kingdoms. So unless you are a descendent of the King of Bavaria, Prussia or Württemberg (all huge important houses related to the great kings of Europe!) your great-great-great-...-grandfather is more likely to have been a duke, or rather the son of a duke.

Could it be that it wasn't Bismarck at all? I can't think of a single war in German history in the 19th century where somebody asked several kings/dukes/whatever to join against a common foe. Only the Napoleonic invasion comes to mind, but that was too early for your ancestor to still have fought in the Civil War.

I'm not a history buff, so I could be wrong, and I'm not here to burst your bubble, just genuinely curious.

EDIT: It just occured to be it might not have been an outward enemy at all. Many, many Germans from all walks of life emigrated during the revolution of 1848. That wasn't a war, but there was a lot of mayhem and upheaval. That sounds much more likely to me. Do you think he might have left for America at that time?
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post

Haha you're probably right to be honest. This story was told to me from my grandfather, and he has a knack for being full of it sometimes. So I'm not entirely sure exactly what's going on. He mentioned that he visited the castle of my great-great-great grandfather's, and that it was now inhabited by drug users. It's possible he was just a duke or something, like you mentioned. Maybe it's possible I could get one of those ancestry things and look him up. I do know he served in the civil war though, because I saw a picture of him in his uniform.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx

Hmmm, my synapses are still popping in wonderment of what precisely you mean - by the dynamic of the primordial forest? If you feel like expanding, I am interested.
    Oops forgot about responding to this. New Zealand's ecology is the last remnant of Antarctic Gondwanaland (Give or take a few hundred million years of evolution.). It was largely isolated after it split off. Before the evolution, and incredible success of grass. A large part of early pioneering life was land clearance, various land ballots for the steady stream of settlers. The harsh realities of life, plus the small numbers (Not enough to retain/reinforce cultural norms.) meant only the Scottish (Of which the majority of early settlers where, and later emigrants for that matter.) managed to have a significant impact on New Zealand. A prime example are the Dalmatians who fled Europe in the mid 19th century. It's effectively a dead culture, as far as I know the language never made it out of the 19th century.

Photographs

Quote Originally Posted by small.wonder View Post

From there, I don't mess around with percentages, because it's otherwise impossible to know. Majority of my heratage is Scottish, Irish, Dutch and German-- both of my parents are of the first two, but Mom with German, Dad with Dutch. The most interesting tid bits I've unearthed (that I would say may reflect on who I am) are 1) that my paternal Irish heritage is very probably Norse-Irish because our family immigrated from Armagh in Northern Ireland, a site of some larger Viking raids. I sometimes joke that my ancestors were raped by Vikings, but it's probably not a joke (and apologies if that's offensive). That part of my family immigrated to Charleston in 1641. 2) My Dad's side has a revolutionary war figure, but after the war, the family moved to West Virginia and Kentucky and basically became professional Hillbillies-- seriously, my great uncle Agnor manufactured moonshine on his property for most of his life.
    FWIW patronymic septs were being used at the time of Viking attacks. I think there is a complied list of Viking Irish names(You could try googling your last name.); though Armagh is not where they settled (Dublin, Wexford, Waterford, Limerick, Cork.). So I would be surprised if you are Viking Irish. 1641 is interesting, an incredibly important year in Northern Ireland are you Irish, or Scots-Irish? Purely because your immigration family story seems quite Scots-Irish.
    Just looking for a protector, God never reached out in time, There's love, that is a saviour, But that ain't no love of mine
    My Love it kills me slowly, Slowly I could die, And when she sleeps she hears the blues, Sees shades of black and white

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My family is essentially Jewish Slavs. I gain cultural food and a special emphasis on education but I'm not sure that's a cultural thing. I didn't grow up with Russian values at all, my parents consider themselves American and I resisted learning Russian.
    IxxP-Conscientious-Slytherin-Leisurely-Idiosyncratic-9w1-4w3-7w6-sp/so-LII-Ne

Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?
    -J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Likes ZNP-TBA, Cloudpatrol liked this post

Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Mobius View Post
    FWIW patronymic septs were being used at the time of Viking attacks. I think there is a complied list of Viking Irish names(You could try googling your last name.); though Armagh is not where they settled (Dublin, Wexford, Waterford, Limerick, Cork.). So I would be surprised if you are Viking Irish. 1641 is interesting, an incredibly important year in Northern Ireland are you Irish, or Scots-Irish? Purely because your immigration family story seems quite Scots-Irish.
    I believe I am Irish, Scottish and Norse, though the specifics of that, I couldn't say off the top of my head (more than I did already). Long story short, there are these giant books of genealogical research that were done about the paternal side of my heritage because of the aforementioned revolutionary war figure-- they were complied sometime in the 70's, and I have them somewhere. In short, though, they trace the particular branch of my surname all the way back to the Celtic King of Spain (which I didn't even know was a thing until reading that stuff). In those same books, they talk about the Norse link. I'll have to go back and read them, as it's been several years.

Ha, I hope they are right though, for the sake of some heritage based tattoos both my Dad and brother have.

Thanks for lending your thoughts, I always love to learn more or get a different perspective on topics of history!
    Find my Enneagram writing here. Also, I'd love for you to take my six question Enneagram surveyEnneagram survey!✨
    Likes Cloudpatrol, Dr Mobius liked this post