• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do sociological terms like "Marginalizaition" ever get used by anything beyond

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do sociological terms like "Marginalizaition" ever get used by anything beyond

Do sociological terms like "Marginalization" ever get used by anything beyond theories and academia?

I am just wondering.

If you look it up, there's all these articles on defining what exactly it is, and surely enough there are many like these who have existed for a fairly long while and seem to be generally well known or acknowledged as possibly existing, but all these ideas seem to just stop there. I was wondering why, and if it's because they're just relegated to intellectual fodder, usually...?

This is a good example:
http://www.compsy.org.uk/margibarc.pdf

"Being a member of a
marginalized group also brings the risk of some more psychosocial-
ideological threats. The first of these is the definition of one’s identity by others: the
ideological definition of one’s
marginalized identity in the interest of the dominant
groups in society. What typically seems to happen is that the situation of the
marginalized"

"persons is portrayed as a result of their own characteristics. What is essentially a social
and historical phenomenon is presented as a biological or an intrapsychic phenomenon.
[Insert figure 1 about here]
The problems that people face are then seen as of their own making, or at least as
inseparable from their particular nature. The phenomenon is naturalised, seen not as a
socially determined reality, but as something to be expected given the way the person is.
This phenomenon has been called 'blaming the victim'"

"A further result of victim-blaming ideologies, imposed but assimilated, is the definition
of one's reality by 'experts'. This is most obvious in the case of disabled people and those
with mental health difficulties, where personal experiences become a set of pathologies
with technical names and technological treatments, and research and intervention agendas
are
highjacked by oppressive ways of doing things to people, rather than with them."

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I heard the term "marginalized" years before I ever went to university. :shrug:

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I heard the term "marginalized" years before I ever went to university. :shrug:

Well yes it's well known about obviously in a vague sense, but that's...that's kind of a strawman. But okay, whatever!

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Well yes it's well known about obviously in a vague sense, but that's...that's kind of a strawman. But okay, whatever!

Sorry for answering then...? :unsure:

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Sorry for answering then...? :unsure:

Well no it's fine.

It's just hard to tell sometimes with people as there are a lot of really manipulative individuals out there.

I'm guessing that perhaps since it's not all together that mainstream and well known about and has no real push into the public sphere, there is thus lack of real understanding of what the term means and implies and of course, like the article says, there's a serious problem with ideologies being pushed by the majority to only disempowered and stigmatize those who are not. Of course, it also helps that the media and corporate ruling elite classes often have this in mind for their best interest and put the most effort into making their opinion the most heard/known about and socially accepted.

I'm not sure if marginalization in particular does, but sociology is interesting from a mathematical standpoint because it tends to deal with high dimensional systems that can have applied consequences. Also, in recent years network theory has been revolutionized in part by the ability to analyze social networks for patterns. Perhaps in time we could relate such words to patterns that you may see in a number sequence. In fact, I know that recently work was done in showing how the flow of information spreads in a social network with different "cliques" of agents like snobs, etc and that at some points information would penetrate a network or not depending on the transmitters involved in spreading the information. There were "marginalized" clusters found particularly in networks where "trendsetters" were spreading information