• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Selfie-takers tend to overestimate their attractiveness

93JC

Selfie-takers tend to overestimate their attractiveness, study finds

People who regularly take photos of themselves, or selfies, tend to overestimate their attractiveness and likability to a greater extent, and are seen as more narcissistic by independent observers, compared with non-selfie-takers, according to a study published in Social Psychological and Personality Science.

A wealth of psychological evidence shows that people have a tendency to perceive themselves as being better than average on a wide range of positive traits, a phenomenon known as “self-favoring bias.” There is also evidence that self-favoring bias is strongest in situations in which one has the greatest amount of personal control. Anyone with a social media account can attest to the popularity of self-taken photos, or selfies. By giving people a great deal of personal control over how they present themselves to the world, selfies may be a prime situation for enhancing self-favoring bias.

Do you take a lot of selfies?

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You can't be negative about yourself or it's pathological. You can't be too positive about yourself or it's equally maladaptive and pathological. Someone show me the tiny sliver of land inbetween that's okay to set my toes on!

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree its more narcissistic in general. Do i think it matters? No, i actually think narcissism in the correct amount is a good thing. Many other indicators beyond selfies for a better diagnosis of actual narcissistic behaviour.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a bomb ass selfie just waiting to be unleashed upon the world. Gaze upon my beauty and be humbled!

On a serious note, I don't post selfies because I don't have the energy to live up to that all day every day. Can I look amazing with a filter and good lighting? Fuck yeah.

Do I look like that everyday? Nope.

I don't post selfies because I would rather not false advertise. I would rather low key suprise you with my awesomeness than disappoint your unfair expectations.

:D

But yeah. Post selfies. Don't post. Who cares.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have a bomb ass selfie just waiting to be unleashed upon the world. Gaze upon my beauty and be humbled!

On a serious note, I don't post selfies because I don't have the energy to live up to that all day every day. Can I look amazing with a filter and good lighting? Fuck yeah.

Do I look like that everyday? Nope.

I don't post selfies because I would rather not false advertise. I would rather low key suprise you with my awesomeness than disappoint your unfair expectations.

:D

But yeah. Post selfies. Don't post. Who cares.

I care, where is the selfie? I was looking forward to gazing upon your beauty.

á´…eparted

passages
Taking selfies makes me feel narcissitic, which is a feeling I really, really can't stand. As a result I almost never take selfies, and feel guilty for doing so 95% of the time.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I rarely post selfies, but when I do it's because people in general want to know I'm doing well, and for some reason this involves showing where I am and what I look like. This is as puzzling to me as both people who post selfies all of the time and people who spend most of their time disapproving of harmless things other people do. I strongly shrug in all your all directions.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Do you take a lot of selfies?

It's the only type of picture I can take.

I don't have any friends to take them with usually. Except skiing holidays with family and other people's friends.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
People who post a lot of selfies usually have very low self-esteem and attempt to overcompensate their image as a means to find self-worth outside of just their images. Most females and males that I know who do this will talk day and night about how great they appear to others, but in confidence divulge that they think very poorly of themselves and have nothing to offer outside of the image they present.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
me @ these researchers:

1551283cc745b510becb7fbdcd505ce9.jpg

93JC

It's the only type of picture I can take.

Nonsense, you can take all sorts of pictures. Take a picture of a streetscape, or flowers blooming after spring rains, or sunrise. You can show others the world around you, not just where you are and who you're with.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Nonsense, you can take all sorts of pictures. Take a picture of a streetscape, or flowers blooming after spring rains, or sunrise. You can show others the world around you, not just where you are and who you're with.

Clearly everything here is a lie.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I've never taken a selfie, ever. :shrug:

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't find it to be a big deal when people do it, but still feel uncomfortable doing it myself. Hell, most of the time I feel awkward even captioning my photos of scenery.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I'll give you the narcissistic Millennial perspective.

I take a lot of selfies. Why? Because it makes me feel good about myself. I feel pretty, so I capture it. If this means I'm overestimating my attractiveness, so be it. It doesn't feel narcissistic to me. I don't splatter all my selfies over the internet saying, "OMG look at me!!" (I do post some, but I try to keep it tasteful.) I keep them on my phone to remind myself that I'm not actually horrible when I'm having a bad hair day. They're reminders. Also, they document my life. I have years of selfies that I like to look at just to notice change over time. It's enjoyable to see gradual changes in my appearance. Walk down memory lane, you know?

I try not to do it in public though. It feels weird.

Of course there are people who are narcissistic about it, but who cares? Does it really matter? There are bigger issues to focus on.