• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Does It Do For YOU, To Understand Something In A Particular Way?

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
This is an example only (Don't go running off with this bit of intel to add to your inner network Ni doms :newwink:, let Ne have some fun here), but this relationship applies anywhere, but when you disagree with someone's typing on the forum and you push for them to be one way, it's easy to see how it would be to the benefit of that supposed mistyped person to know their true typing, but what does it do for YOU? What do you gain by having someone typed correctly? What does it do for you to have something labeled or understood in a particular light versus another?

I already have my own suspicions of why people do this and what it does for them, but I want to hear your feedback! :)

*I have a feeling this example will limit the sorts of answers I get here...remember, this is just an example offered of the sort of relational understanding I am actually getting at here.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Well MBTI already has a piss poor reputation because most people treat it like zodiacs when it is far from something that simplistic and vague. Nipping the stereotypes is a great way to show that there is more to the study! Most people here are passionate about Jungian typology and the last thing we want is misinformation to be spread and enforced. It's not on the same level, but if I were a meteorologist and a fellow meteorologist was claiming to be a geologist because they thought the two were synonymous and has been explaining to others that they are, I would gladly correct them because they are still in my field and representing my passion.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
This is an example only (Don't go running off with this bit of intel to add to your inner network Ni doms :newwink:, let Ne have some fun here), but this relationship applies anywhere, but when you disagree with someone's typing on the forum and you push for them to be one way, it's easy to see how it would be to the benefit of that supposed mistyped person to know their true typing, but what does it do for YOU? What do you gain by having someone typed correctly? What does it do for you to have something labeled or understood in a particular light versus another?

I already have my own suspicions of why people do this and what it does for them, but I want to hear your feedback! :)

*I have a feeling this example will limit the sorts of answers I get here...remember, this is just an example offered of the sort of relational understanding I am actually getting at here.

Because I struggle on the inside when I see something potentially wrong and I am allowed to say something about it. This isn't just typology, this is me in pretty much everything. I need to have a high impact to feel complete ... otherwise I become aphathic.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I appreciate accuracy to what seems clear to me. I don't like ego to cloud ones judgement on how they are really if it stares them right in the face. Acting like it doesn't exist, doesn't make it so.

Estelia

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
xwx
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
People usually type themselves as what/who they want to be, versus who they really are. I've actually experienced this with a friend, he kept pushing to be an ENFJ because he knows that people make fun of sensors that they're "not as intelligent" and whatnot. He's so clearly an ESFJ though, and it got me really annoyed due to the inaccuracy. I was pushing for him to understand how he is ESFJ by explaining the use of cognitive functions, etc etc so he could understand himself better and to especially know that there is nothing greater or less about being a S vs N, T vs F, etc. It gets me kind of annoyed when people make one type superior to another. By correctly typing him, for myself I gained more knowledge than I already had on cognitive functions through extensive research, and a good laugh to proving him wrong. Lol :D

á´…eparted

passages
When someone tries to claim I am mistyped, I almost always think to myself, "oh sweet child, bless your heart". I'm really not interested in discussing it anymore because I know my type and have gone through years of typing to dial it in.

I also generally don't try typing someone else unless they ask, or they are OBVIOUSLY incorrect in their self typing. Otherwise I tend to just think they are their own best expert on themselves (sans the cases of people with too large of an ego or very poor self awareness). It feels really nice though if I help someone type themselves when they were incorrect, because it feels like I solved a problem, and the feeling of solving a problem is something I REALLY like.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
When someone tries to claim I am mistyped, I almost always think to myself, "oh sweet child, bless your heart". I'm really not interested in discussing it anymore because I know my type and have gone through years of typing to dial it in.

I also generally don't try typing someone else unless they ask, or they are OBVIOUSLY incorrect in their self typing. Otherwise I tend to just think they are their own best expert on themselves (sans the cases of people with too large of an ego or very poor self awareness). It feels really nice though if I help someone type themselves when they were incorrect, because it feels like I solved a problem, and the feeling of solving a problem is something I REALLY like.

I relate to this a lot when it comes to typing others and when people feel I am mistyped. I see there could be a flaw in my personal understanding of the functions and have therefore attached my own thought processes incorrectly to various functions, but I have done A LOT of introspecting growing up and have always had an interest in learning styles, thinking preferences, learning how people think and where they come from (all outside Typology), so I knew fairly early, my own strengths and weaknesses in thinking styles and learning preferences all throughout college and beyond. Now, unless I misunderstand ALL the functions in the ENFP stacking and how they interconnect with one another (because that's a very important key, rather than thinking of them as stand-alone entities), then sure, I'll admit to a mistyping, but really, I know my own thinking style down to a T. Also, I can see misunderstanding this function or that, or misunderstanding a function dynamic here and there, but to completely misidentify my thought processes between the entire stacking of functions?? That's where I digress. And as you've alluded to, it's a very laborious process to go through, but once you know yourself, you really can only respond to the doubters in that way.

For this very reason, I really dislike trying type others unless it's say, a very close friend of mine that I've known for years. Even then, I can never know someone better than they know themselves. And tying back to this thread topic, I also wonder, for those that push so hard on those that are mistyped, or try to impose a typing on me beyond a level I feel is out of fair curiosity, I wonder, what are THEY gaining, in ensuring I am labeled this or that way? To use my own case as an example, does an ESFJ typing for me conclude their understanding of what an ESFJ looks like? If they feel I am an ESFJ and yet I type as something else, does it cause them to go back to the drawing board and have to re-evalute their understanding of this type or that?

I'm happy this thread is gaining some traction as I am curious about this. As I've posted in my original post though, typing others is just being used as an example. Why people push their understandings on others, is something I am curious about. About what they gain from it.

And I agree (sorry I went off on tangent there and started addressing the thread and not you directly, Hard) but typing someone else and working it out with them can certainly feel like a job well done, a problem solved. And I think that is a key there, solving it WITH them and helping them to understand their thinking style and preferences with them to get to the bottom of it. :)

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
People usually type themselves as what/who they want to be, versus who they really are. I've actually experienced this with a friend, he kept pushing to be an ENFJ because he knows that people make fun of sensors that they're "not as intelligent" and whatnot. He's so clearly an ESFJ though, and it got me really annoyed due to the inaccuracy. I was pushing for him to understand how he is ESFJ by explaining the use of cognitive functions, etc etc so he could understand himself better and to especially know that there is nothing greater or less about being a S vs N, T vs F, etc. It gets me kind of annoyed when people make one type superior to another. By correctly typing him, for myself I gained more knowledge than I already had on cognitive functions through extensive research, and a good laugh to proving him wrong. Lol :D

This is really cool Estelia, thanks for sharing! It may be earth shattering to even think that your understanding of something may be wrong, and I feel for those with lower self-esteem this may be more of an issue, but even if you aren't wrong in your understanding, that annoyance in itself can lead one to even greater depths of understanding :)

I wonder though, how much self-esteem has to do with this thread topic and if the level of it has some correlation with how much someone pushes their understanding of something on others, rather than being more receptive to other perspectives. If you are in fact right, and are pushing, that's different of course, you're only trying to right a wrong in that case.

á´…eparted

passages
I also wonder, for those that push so hard on those that are mistyped, or try to impose a typing on me beyond a level I feel is out of fair curiosity, I wonder, what are THEY gaining, in ensuring I am labeled this or that way?

In regards to this, I think a lot of the time it comes down to offence. Years ago when I was on the INFJforums, quite a lot of people would claim mistype on a person because they were utterly offended at the concept that someone they hated so much (for whatever reason) could be the same type as them. I've seen that sporatically seen that happen here over the years. When pressed really hard, I often think (but not always) it comes down to a misrepresentation of something they value.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
In regards to this, I think a lot of the time it comes down to offence. Years ago when I was on the INFJforums, quite a lot of people would claim mistype on a person because they were utterly offended at the concept that someone they hated so much (for whatever reason) could be the same type as them. I've seen that sporatically seen that happen here over the years. When pressed really hard, I often think (but not always) it comes down to a misrepresentation of something they value.

Oh interesting. Since I haven't been here all that long I wouldn't ever have come to this sort of conclusion. I completely see this as a real possibility though. Very interesting...

Estelia

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
xwx
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is really cool Estelia, thanks for sharing! It may be earth shattering to even think that your understanding of something may be wrong, and I feel for those with lower self-esteem this may be more of an issue, but even if you aren't wrong in your understanding, that annoyance in itself can lead one to even greater depths of understanding :)

I wonder though, how much self-esteem has to do with this thread topic and if the level of it has some correlation with how much someone pushes their understanding of something on others, rather than being more receptive to other perspectives. If you are in fact right, and are pushing, that's different of course, you're only trying to right a wrong in that case.

That's an interesting way to view it. I've actually never thought of the fact of someone pushing their understanding of someone else's type as a self esteem issue, if I have understood what you said correctly. And of course you should be open minded to different perspectives, whenever someone has trouble typing themselves I'm always quick to understand each perspective as to why the specified types are being considered. But, I push my case if I see someone purposely trying to stereotype themselves as another type because of their dislike of a label, i.e "Sensor" label if that makes sense. Otherwise, I find it interesting to contemplate the different perspectives used in typing a person. I wonder if people's self esteems are affected in their perception of the type they fit themselves into rather than the self esteem of those pushing their understanding?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)

Lol yeah I see that this hasn't really panned out the way you wanted thus far.

On the other hand, I and some others here don't mind unsolicited type suggestions. While I obviously know myself better than anyone here can, I can't necessarily relate it back to MBTI all of the time. But I mean it's going to vary from person and it's best to ask first before telling someone what you think.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Lol yeah I see that this hasn't really panned out the way you wanted thus far.

On the other hand, I and some others here don't mind unsolicited type suggestions. While I obviously know myself better than anyone here can, I can't necessarily relate it back to MBTI all of the time. But I mean it's going to vary from person and it's best to ask first before telling someone what you think.

Actually I am getting exactly what I had hoped for :D The topic mildly stays around Typology, but I hardly ever take information superficially anyways. I've been extracting what I need from the posts and I am getting some great perspective, all while adding to my own and expanding it further.

á´…eparted

passages

I should be clear, there is a big difference between "why do you see yourself as that type?" and "Have you considered X?" and "you're not that type" or "your typing is wrong".

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
That's an interesting way to view it. I've actually never thought of the fact of someone pushing their understanding of someone else's type as a self esteem issue, if I have understood what you said correctly. And of course you should be open minded to different perspectives, whenever someone has trouble typing themselves I'm always quick to understand each perspective as to why the specified types are being considered. But, I push my case if I see someone purposely trying to stereotype themselves as another type because of their dislike of a label, i.e "Sensor" label if that makes sense. Otherwise, I find it interesting to contemplate the different perspectives used in typing a person. I wonder if people's self esteems are affected in their perception of the type they fit themselves into rather than the self esteem of those pushing their understanding?

Ya, those sorts of biases are never needed. I'm not even sure where they come from to begin with. The idea that people's closed-mindedness could be related to their level of self-esteem was not something I have been thinking about for a long time and sort of just thought of it while typing out my previous post in reply to yours admittedly, but I would imagine that if someone is secure in their level of understanding on the topic, knows where their strengths and weaknesses are, and doesn't let that dictate what their self image is or how they perceive themselves, I can imagine those individuals would be more accepting of challenge and contradiction to their ideas since they are able to take those arguments as disagreements towards their ideas, and solely their ideas, not their person.