• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Adult ADHD

CakeByTheOcean

Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Anyone else here with adult ADHD? I would greatly appreciate some advice on managing symptoms. Also, does anyone know any natural remedies that help you focus better, as opposed to taking medication?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have it.
Natural remedies are, or can be, a form of medication, too. Is there a particular reason you're against taking/trying a medication? I get that it's often overprescribed - I take only half my recommended dosage of Adderall extended release, actually. I take it because it works for me, though.

As for behavioral symptom management, a behavioral psychologist may be able to help you with that. I may reflect a bit/add on to this post later w/some of my own adaptations I've developed over time (beyond basics of getting good sleep, balanced diet, etc), but a good counselor is always a worthwhile resource. Doesn't necessarily have to involve dispensing drugs.

CakeByTheOcean

Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have it.
Natural remedies are, or can be, a form of medication, too. Is there a particular reason you're against taking/trying a medication? I get that it's often overprescribed - I take only half my recommended dosage of Adderall extended release, actually. I take it because it works for me, though.

As for behavioral symptom management, a behavioral psychologist may be able to help you with that. I may reflect a bit/add on to this post later w/some of my own adaptations I've developed over time (beyond basics of getting good sleep, balanced diet, etc), but a good counselor is always a worthwhile resource. Doesn't necessarily have to involve dispensing drugs.

I just worry that medication would make me somewhat zoned out and not myself. I'm not against trying it, but if it's not necessary, I rather not have to rely on it. Thanks for the input!

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just worry that medication would make me somewhat zoned out and not myself. I'm not against trying it, but if it's not necessary, I rather not have to rely on it. Thanks for the input!

Yeah, the higher dosages of Adderall XR kind of murdered my creativity, despite decreasing my general scattered..ness. I suppose there's a correlation. 20mg (vs the 50 they try to give me) works perfectly. I'm still me. And I'm still a bit scattered, but it doesn't interfere with my overall ability to function, if that makes sense. Usually, a good psychiatrist wil start you on a very low dose, and gradually raise it, so you're not just pumping needless amounts of crap into your body, shocking it, etc.

Getting a full physical with your primary physician is always a good idea, too. Full fasting blood panel, etc. Rule out any potential underlying conditions that may mimic psych conditions, as well as ensure you're healthy enough to try particular medications.

This may be up your alley, as far as natural remedies go.
Herbal Remedies for ADHD

A friend of mine w/ADD swears by simple Centrum multivitamins w/Ginkgo.

Jeremy8419

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Anyone else here with adult ADHD? I would greatly appreciate some advice on managing symptoms. Also, does anyone know any natural remedies that help you focus better, as opposed to taking medication?

Do the opposite of what you're doing with your life, then you won't be so bored that you can't focus. I was INFP with ADHD, now I am INFJ without ADHD. Vioala!

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Some people have had success with phosphatidylserine (from reading posts at an ADD forum).

A couple of journal articles on the subject:

The effect of phosphatidylserine administration on memory and symptoms of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial by S. Hirayama et al.

PS significantly improved ADHD symptoms and short-term auditory memory in children. PS supplementation might be a safe and natural nutritional strategy for improving mental performance in young children suffering from ADHD.

The effect of phosphatidylserine containing Omega3 fatty-acids on
attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder symptoms in children:
A double-blind placebo-controlled trial, followed by an open-label extension
by I. Manor et al.

To conclude, the current report suggest that administration of
PS-Omega3 to children may reduce ADHD symptoms specifically
in a subgroup of hyperactive-impulsive, emotionally and behaviorally
dysregulated ADHD children. Preliminary data suggest that
the beneficial effects of PS-Omega3 might be achieved and
preserved by a reduced PS-Omega3 dose. These observations are
encouraging and could assist in planning future large-scale,
placebo-controlled trials evaluating the efficacy of PS-Omega3 in
ADHD children.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I struggle with it. Have all my life-maybe goes without saying, I dunno.

But my parents, while apparently SOME sort of consensus was reached somehow when I was very young that I probably had it- nothing was really done about it. Just inexperience I suppose, choices made. So I mean. I 'suffered'-that is if ADHD actually exists- either way Im on the really far end of the spacy side of the spectrum, so SOMEThING diagnosis worthy or not- affects me.

Im on adderall now whoch is really helpful. I still am glitchy but even other people have noticed I am MUCH smoother than I generally am.

And it makes me cocky. Gives me a bit of a confidence boost which helps.

Not saying that you SHOULD take drugs- or recommending them or anything, but mine in my case have been helpful- or at least I have wanted to notice them being so.

Other things though that I do when I completely space out and blah and everything and yeah... Is I stop. Completely stop everything. And then. Just straighten myself out a bit. I, physically, hold both my arms out straight- shake them up and down a bit- and do the jimmy neutron 'think think' thing and yeah. Sometimes that helps.

I think really- sometimes with adhd. You just have to accept its there first. Well. That you HAVE to deal with it- and just because you have it doesnt mean there is nothing that you can do or there is something wrong with you or something. So dont be ashamed and face it.

Anyways. Not sure if this is what you are asking for but well, there ya go.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I take modafinil for other things with the added bonus of the fact that it's off label for ADHD as well apparently... it does help with it

took adderall for a while, which was fantastic but it messed with some other things so I had to stop taking it... took the lowest dose I could get away with

otherwise, never did find anything non-chemical that really worked for it, and believe me, I tried for years :(

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I am pretty sure my ENFP mother is such case.
She combines way too much things at the same time, often starts something but she doesn't finnish, she is almost never on time ...

I have during the recent years realized that I have to keep most of distinctive P people on certain distance from me because I suffer when I get caught in the mess. I need at least general sense of order around me to function properly.