• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What’s in a name? How personality disorders are being misunderstood and misdiagnosed

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What’s in a name? How personality disorders are being misunderstood and misdiagnosed

What’s in a name? How personality disorders are being misunderstood and misdiagnosed - Health Report - ABC Radio National (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

...There’s a fundamental argument going on among experts about the labels given to personality disorders. One of the leaders of the attack on the status quo is Peter Tyrer, professor of community psychiatry at Imperial College London. He and his colleagues seem to have succeeded in removing the individual names of personality disorders in the forthcoming 11th version of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD11), due out next year. Professor Tyrer claims the names are artificial and fail to acknowledge the range of personality traits found in each person.

...Professor Tyrer prefers to use the word dysfunction rather than disorder, because personality is on a continuous spectrum and we all have a little bit of everything. The evidence is that there’s enormous variation in personality traits in people and they’re not easily categorised into one label or other. When you do try to fit someone into a particular slot, you find that they fit the criteria for several others as well. ‘Very few people,’ says Professor Tyrer, ‘have one slab of personality characteristics which don’t overlap with others.’

...He has helped to pioneer a form of treatment called nidotherapy, where the environment is adapted to suit the person. For example, someone who’s a risk taker and a loner might be happiest as a cattle farmer mustering on a motorbike.

...‘One of the big negatives of current mental health practice is that we’re too obsessed with treating symptoms and if we’re not, then we go back to treating some sort of amorphous, core developmental problem. In fact it’s not a core developmental problem. It’s a personality that can be dealt with in practice quite well. There are very few people that I come across in my clinical practice that I would ever say, “Sorry, your problems are too difficult for me to deal with because they’re beyond my abilities” ... most of the people who reject patients on the grounds that they’re untreatable are actually saying, “I am incompetent at dealing with personality problems”. That is why you are untreatable. Not because you’re really untreatable.’

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member

Fascinating stuff.

From a purely semantic view the two words are interesting. Disorder "disrupt normal functions or order" seems to have less negative connotations than Dysfunction "deviation from norms, malfunctioning element".

I ascribe to the spirit of what is being described here.

The concern I have is that people have fought to have such classifications made to receive assistance in the form of monies, practical assistance, social services, aids to education etcetera. These resources are usually very difficult to obtain and the bureaucracy is dependent on stringent requirements being met (people neatly fitting into pre-set boxes). I wonder how such broad definitions would affect the practical assistance available to people from government agencies...

Ideally, if nidotherapy was liberally adopted, the question would be moot.