• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is it ok for you to correct others?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is there anything off limits?

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What exactly do you mean with "off limits" ?

Are there cases in which you're uncomfortable with correcting someone? Or are there cases that would make it feel unjust to correct another person?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
I correct others so they may see where they went wrong,

If they refuse, well then...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Sometimes its not worth to correct someone.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Correcting someone is for their benefit. Sometimes people have so much issues it doesnt benefit them and wastes your time in the process...lose-lose situation. Those are times you shouldnt correct.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Correcting someone is for their benefit. Sometimes people have so much issues it doesnt benefit them and wastes your time in the process...lose-lose situation. Those are times you shouldnt correct.

this is pretty much how i see it. and in some situations correcting someone just makes you look like an arrogant prick. it really depends on how receptive the person is gonna be and what is being corrected. And no not everyone needs to be corrected and you are not being a hero by doing so and you being like well them getting mad is there fault, because maybe with what you correct them with is also wrong. I don't mind being correct sometimes but if your idea of correcting is to say well you didn't try hard enough so i'm gonna berate you. How do you know? you don't know how hard i tried.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I correct others so they may see where they went wrong,

If they refuse, well then...

Genuinely curious, so you do it for the other person's benefit? In terms of growth? Does that give you satisfaction?

So you do so, to help them?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Are there cases in which you're uncomfortable with correcting someone? Or are there cases that would make it feel unjust to correct another person?

In that case: yes.

There are countless situations where the other person was screaming "LEAVE ME ALONE!" or it was super annoyed with what is called "my super systematic solutions".

I in my naural form can control all kinds of things: How and where my parents will shop for groceries in order to save large amounts of money for pretty much the same thing, I was in charge of organization in all of my group assigments on college, I coordinated my teammates in many video games. I often decide what we will have for "lunch in "family altogather lunches", I every day suggest to people what would be good that they do today, I enter into budget, political or scientiffic debates with other people all the time, .... etc.

Therefore often I notice that I just have to give others some breathing room. It is better that it not 100% perfect than the scenario that the other person expodes into my face. (and hates me for days)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Genuinely curious, so you do it for the other person's benefit? In terms of growth? Does that give you satisfaction?

So you do so, to help them?

Yes

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Is there anything off limits?

grammarnaziinvalidargument.jpg

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9?
Instinctual Variant
sp
Correcting someone is for their benefit.

Do people actually believe this? It always seems to me like correcting someone is usually more for the corrector's ego than any "benefit". How does implicitly telling someone how stupid and incompetent they are benefit them?

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Echoing prpl and Poki. If it's one of those errors where someone says something but means something else and their intent is clear I don't bother because communication was successful. If it isn't, I'll ask what they mean so that they'll retread. If they don't seem receptive to correction, I say nothing.

I've often found people react better to "what makes you say that?" as opposed to "you're wrong. so wrong. omg wtf stop being wrong." Win-win since it gives me a chance to see where they're coming from. Who knows, maybe I'm the one that's wrong .

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Depending on the delivery -- which is often terrible because most people don't seem to know how to do it right -- you're more likely to piss them off than to teach them anything.

Hopefully then, through that sort of experience, you'll learn how better to get corrections across. If you don't learn from it, you're as dense about that subject as they are about your subject.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Do people actually believe this? It always seems to me like correcting someone is usually more for the corrector's ego than any "benefit". How does implicitly telling someone how stupid and incompetent they are benefit them?

Insulting people is not "correcting" them in their way.
As a matter of fact this has pretty much exactly the opposite effect and it is pushing them even deeper into the shit, if we presume that the person is actually wrong about something.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

If you use those words then yeah. What about, you should try this and give an explantion of why or how?

Like i said, some people do not like to be corrected even in a nice way as it makes them feel stupid and incompetent. Some people just have to learn on their own because they project their feelings onto the intent of others. You can correct that, but again...you can see the loop here.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

This is interesting .

Do you perceive being wrong as indicitive of stupidity and incompetence? Do you think there's something shameful about having to be corrected? If so, why?

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Normally when I correct it's for clarity especially if someone is using contradictory definitions for the same term.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Yeah, some people get stuck on the little things and miss out on some good insight that teaches. Just because something isnt correct and perfect from start to finish doesnt mean it doesnt have some good in it. I once worked with a guy that didnt know the name of anything...use thingamajigy, whatchamacallit, etc. He was the smartest and most intelligent about fixing the equipment. He just sucked at remembering technical names. The guy that knew technical names for everything couldnt fix the machine worth shit.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Echoing prpl and Poki. If it's one of those errors where someone says something but means something else and their intent is clear I don't bother because communication was successful. If it isn't, I'll ask what they mean so that they'll retread. If they don't seem receptive to correction, I say nothing.

I've often found people react better to "what makes you say that?" as opposed to "you're wrong. so wrong. omg wtf stop being wrong." Win-win since it gives me a chance to see where they're coming from. Who knows, maybe I'm the one that's wrong .

this is the best approach.