• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is it ok for you to correct others?

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, some people get stuck on the little things and miss out on some good insight that teaches. Just because something isnt correct and perfect from start to finish doesnt mean it doesnt have some good in it. I once worked with a guy that didnt know the name of anything...use thingamajigy, whatchamacallit, etc. He was the smartest and most intelligent about fixing the equipment. He just sucked at remembering technical names. The guy that knew technical names for everything couldnt fix the machine worth shit.

Your friend reflects my own approach since I am a troubleshooter.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Echoing prpl and Poki. If it's one of those errors where someone says something but means something else and their intent is clear I don't bother because communication was successful. If it isn't, I'll ask what they mean so that they'll retread. If they don't seem receptive to correction, I say nothing.

I've often found people react better to "what makes you say that?" as opposed to "you're wrong. so wrong. omg wtf stop being wrong." Win-win since it gives me a chance to see where they're coming from. Who knows, maybe I'm the one that's wrong .

Not to mention there are sometimes "gotchas" you didnt take into account which caused them to do what they do. Its like programming hacks at work. First question should be why, how, etc. To understand because sometimes at the end of the day they know its not "correct" but its actually another issue that caused it nd thats the best that can be done until that other issue is fixed.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, some people get stuck on the little things and miss out on some good insight that teaches. Just because something isnt correct and perfect from start to finish doesnt mean it doesnt have some good in it. I once worked with a guy that didnt know the name of anything...use thingamajigy, whatchamacallit, etc. He was the smartest and most intelligent about fixing the equipment. He just sucked at remembering technical names. The guy that knew technical names for everything couldnt fix the machine worth shit.

That is me. Well, not saying I'm the smartest like in your example but I have difficulty with technical names or explaining technical things.

I can write it properly/explain very well in that way but in the middle of it, it is a brain-switch. I guess what it do and what it is are on opposite sides of my brain. :laugh:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Your friend reflects my own approach since I am a troubleshooter.

Yeah, in a negative situation they will stand alone and cause issues as they both have a weak link. Now if they work together they remove that weak link and become a strong team. They worked opposite shifts so they never had that chance to work together.

I try find that balance, i do have issues with technical names. Mostly due to focus though. I put a priority on how, not what. Personal preference.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
That is me. Well, not saying I'm the smartest like in your example but I have difficulty with technical names or explaining technical things.

I can write it properly/explain very well in that way but in the middle of it, it is a brain-switch. I guess what it do and what it is are on opposite sides of my brain. :laugh:

You write very well.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, in a negative situation they will stand alone and cause issues as they both have a weak link. Now if they work together they remove that weak link and become a strong team. They worked opposite shifts so they never had that chance to work together.

I try find that balance, i do have issues with technical names. Mostly due to focus though. I put a priority on how, not what. Personal preference.

The INTP I work with is really good with book knowledge and knows all the technical names. I know enough to get by but I certainly don't put a priority on it. However, I am good at simplifying technical concepts and making them palatable to almost anyone and can think on the fly with relative ease (I actually feel like I'm in my element in those situations). But yes, balance is optimal

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I have issues because i jump from A to Q to S to Z, back to B and crazy fast. I dont think in a linear fashion and i have issues slowing it down. Its end up more like watch and ask questions if you dont understand. I got in trouble one time because i did some periodic maintenance on a machine that should take 8 hours in 2.5. I jumped around like crazy and had things running in parallel. Apparently we cant create that expectation and i should leave the machine down for the remainder of the time and let it sit unused :dry:

The funny part is i got moved into a special teams group where we were given one off projects that needed to get done. A year later they came to myboss asking how to speed up the maintenance and he did what i did. Figure out what could be run in parallel and created a timeline and a chart etc. When he showed me i just laughed and had to explain the past incident.

Lark

Its a strange world we live in that people are hard to convince of the existence of evil or that there's ever cause to correct someone.

Surely not everyones moral compass is as fucked as that implies?

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have issues because i jump from A to Q to S to Z, back to B and crazy fast. I dont think in a linear fashion and i have issues slowing it down. Its end up more like watch and ask questions if you dont understand. I got in trouble one time because i did some periodic maintenance on a machine that should take 8 hours in 2.5. I jumped around like crazy and had things running in parallel. Apparently we cant create that expectation and i should leave the machine down for the remainder of the time and let it sit unused :dry:

The funny part is i got moved into a special teams group where we were given one off projects that needed to get done. A year later they came to myboss asking how to speed up the maintenance and he did what i did. Figure out what could be run in parallel and created a timeline and a chart etc. When he showed me i just laughed and had to explain the past incident.

The bolded - YES. You explained it so well! I think that is why with writing, I can slow it down and it works.

My boss is always worried that I will let things slip by because I don't necessarily follow protocol (methodical steps) but I rarely make mistakes, so it just bugs him but he can't say it doesn't work - more that it bugs HIM personally. LOL

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The bolded - YES. You explained it so well! I think that is why with writing, I can slow it down and it works.

My boss is always worried that I will let things slip by because I don't necessarily follow protocol (methodical steps) but I rarely make mistakes, so it just bugs him but he can't say it doesn't work - more that it bugs HIM personally. LOL

Yeah, i run into that alot...others dont like how i do things, but it works and works VERY well so they cant really say anything.

I create systems...protocols...i cant stand using them, lol. How can i trap myself in them when i am designed to improve, streamline, and tweak things. I am constantly "correcting" things towards perfection. Constantly correcting myself, not just others. We all screw up left and right, its the process of learningand improving things...well...maybe Se way as we just go, adjust, and adapt. Things that dont matter its like run, run, run, shit...start over...run, run, run, run, run, shit...made it farther this time. Try something new split second, screw up, oh well...learn and adapt as you go.

I may or may not listen to correction as i may want to learn how to fix a screw up. I usually appreciate a correction though.

Lark

Would you care to explain?

I think the idea that you shouldnt or couldnt correct others is absurd and that no one actual does that whether they choose to discuss it in an abstract and theoretical fashion or not, therefore you could theoretically pose a question or say a thing but methodologically its devoid of practical application, which I think makes it a kind of meaningless thing to do in the first place.

Lark

I suppose the response to the OP's question I really would like to pose is the obvious:

"how is it not?"

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think the idea that you shouldnt or couldnt correct others is absurd and that no one actual does that whether they choose to discuss it in an abstract and theoretical fashion or not, therefore you could theoretically pose a question or say a thing but methodologically its devoid of practical application, which I think makes it a kind of meaningless thing to do in the first place.

Meaningless to seek understanding? Interesting....

"how is it not?"

Who defines what's right and wrong? In some circumstances it may be obvious...

In others, it could be subjective, no?

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
When is constructive criticism not ok?

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Correcting others presumes that you're right and they're wrong. Since there are far more instances in this world where being "right" is a merely subjective matter of interpretation, we collectively find ourselves in the position that there are far too many people ready to deliver correction and too few wise enough to realize they'd be more helpful to listen or actually stay silent.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Correcting others presumes that you're right and they're wrong. Since there are far more instances in this world where being "right" is a merely subjective matter of interpretation, we collectively find ourselves in the position that there are far too many people ready to deliver correction and too few wise enough to realize they'd be more helpful to listen or actually stay silent.

Your wrong...lmao. actually a very simple way to get around falling for what you explained is a simple question. What are you after? Followed by other questions. Because then and only then can you be sure you are actually right and they are actually wrong. Some peoples goal may be different then the path assumed based on personal perception.

I joked with my son one day and said "You know why i am always right?" "Because i know what i dont know." Of course "Always" was tongue in cheek

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Who defines what's constructive?

Exactly...either subjectivity(internal perception) or objectivity(external perception ). Why its not a black and white answer without delving into a situation. Someone internal perception will change the objective external perception. So...it depends on how the cookie crumbles.