• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Do You Look At?

á´…eparted

passages
When you are walking around in a familiar public place by yourself, and there are people around. What are all the things you typically look at it as you walk around?

Is it objects? Is it people? Is it particular kinds objects- plants, animals, structures, or is it parts of people, faces or body? Are you wrapped up in your head that you don't really think about what you're looking at much less remember it? What draws your attention, and why do you think it draws your attention. Further, what are you thinking about as you do this? Is it what you're looking at, or is it merely a process that takes care of itself on a subconscious level?

I'm curious to what people will say, and if it reveals anything about our individual nature. Further, if there are any common trends or common things that are viewed and scanned.

Discuss.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Wildlife (because the squirrels and chipmunks don't move for humans around here). Plus someone got attacked by a falcon once and I don't have time for that.

Flowers. Because pretty.

People when they're directly approaching but only for a few seconds.

Phone because I forgot to remove that one track from my playlist and it keeps popping up at the wrong times.

Or straight ahead if I'm thinking about something that requires focus.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't really look when I walk. I go on autopilot. I'm in my head, absorbed in my thoughts. Though I tend to notice trees and flowers and animals more than people. I only really notice people enough to avoid them. Or the ground.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't really look when I walk. I go on autopilot. I'm in my head, absorbed in my thoughts. Though I tend to notice trees and flowers and animals more than people. I only really notice people enough to avoid them. Or the ground.

I do the opposite of this. Not that I want to have a conversation with every person I come across but I don't avoid them. I have to be aware of my surroundings, even when they are familiar, so I scan everything in my view.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I notice everything, but I mostly reside inside my head and just let myself go on autopilot, like 21lux said.

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
I only look at people if they're in my way or say something to me, but other than that I don't want to see them. Except for this one older lady who works in the grocery store, I always stop and talk with her - she's great. When I'm walking from my car to the store in the parking lot I notice birds a lot and I talk to them. I love birds. I notice natural things, unusual rocks, new buds on the trees, flowers beginning to shoot up from the still frozen earth. I notice animals more than people, because I like them more. Most of the time I'm in my head; like [MENTION=23583]21lux[/MENTION], I'm on autopilot most of the time and focusing on what needs to get done, not socializing. But I watch birds wherever I go, whether in a crowded area or alone in the National Forest. Birds are my religion.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm usually living more in my inside world when I'm in public, but basically looking at anything that catches my eyes, and it's usually people :)

á´…eparted

passages
I do the opposite of this. Not that I want to have a conversation with every person I come across but I don't avoid them. I have to be aware of my surroundings, even when they are familiar, so I scan everything in my view.

This is the closest to what I do. The only time I am completely in my head is if I have music in, and there is no one around.

What I look at is everyone around, and in particular faces. I will look at everyone face that walks by me. It sort of back-processes but also front-processes, but I am getting a "read" of everyone, and will look at their body shape/language as well. I do it in such a way that they won't notice I am looking, so I dart from person to person in no particular order so my gaze does not stay stationary, unless the individual hasn't noticed me. Looking at objects in my environment is secondary.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
This is the closest to what I do. The only time I am completely in my head is if I have music in, and there is no one around.

What I look at is everyone around, and in particular faces. I will look at everyone face that walks by me. It sort of back-processes but also front-processes, but I am getting a "read" of everyone, and will look at their body shape/language as well. I do it in such a way that they won't notice I am looking, so I dart from person to person in no particular order so my gaze does not stay stationary, unless the individual hasn't noticed me. Looking at objects in my environment is secondary.

I can't do the music thing when I'm out. My ENFP's - they think this is some kind of irrational fear but - do you know how many times they've been nearly run over crossing a street or walked into a door? Yeah. So I save that for when I'm stationary or on the treadmill.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
If I have planty of problems to solve I am often on autopilot.

But if I am not: parks, cars/traffic, all that old infrastructure that is centuries old, discount prices, women, all the infrastructure that need fixing etc.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I usually have too much awareness, and I block that out by having my headphones on at all times. I like to be able to zone out.

If I'm without headphones, then I'm in "get shit done mode" which is a zone all on its own where I'm focused on what needs to get done.

With headphones I'm able to slow down a bit more. I don't put any conscious effort into viewing my surroundings though.

Either way, I'm looking through the things, not at the things

Duffy

Usually focused on thought or whatever is going on with me at the time. I have problems being out and about for too long, especially crowds or loud places, and I think I have issues with over stimulation of the senses. So I'm not aware of my environment unless I make an effort. As far as people are concerned, I don't pay attention unless they approach me, or I take an interest / are attracted to them.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I am really preoccupied with something, I won't be paying as much attention to things. Or, if I'm busy listening or talking to someone, I'll miss a lot as well. But generally, I'm really observant and always have been. At work, though part of it comes with my job, I'm always observing people (appearance, behavior/mannerisms/quirks, interaction style), and also am paying attention to everything going on behind the counter, because one of my strengths is filling in gaps and seeing what needs to be done/where I can jump in/ very adaptable.

When in a new place, I think I pay more attention to the scenery, buildings, of course I notice people, everything around me, especially when traveling in a different country, that's very important. It's also why I love visiting new places, I like taking all of that in.

When hiking, have two modes, one is when I'm in a stretch that's new, or that I know could offer photography opportunities - then I'll pay attention to everything. But if I'm in a long stretch of forest that's mostly unchanging, I might go into autopilot, but still pick up on movement, rocks, etc.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
eyes cast down, fixed upon the ground

often the ground, but I do enjoy looking at the sky. I avoid the eyes of strangers in passing. :unsure:

á´…eparted

passages
I can't do the music thing when I'm out. My ENFP's - they think this is some kind of irrational fear but - do you know how many times they've been nearly run over crossing a street or walked into a door? Yeah. So I save that for when I'm stationary or on the treadmill.

I listen to music all the time with headphones, particularly if I am walking outside. I've never had a problem with it. Though it could be that I only allow it to totally wrap me up in my head if I am in area where I can do that (i.e. in a field or something).

Lady Lazarus

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Everything. It makes things difficult at times.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I probably look at people way too often. It confuses a lot of men and women thinking I am actually interested in them and can tick others off prematurely.

If I am actually interested in a woman other than being easy on the eyes, I actually have a more worried look.

Ugh like today saw a pretty tall woman today. I was frozen because I find it hard to find girls who are my type irl so instead of casually looking away I was just in awe and then she was gone. Oh well. :shrug:

September0861

MBTI Type
INTP
People, mostly. How they walk, how they talk, their facial expressions, how they interact with others if at all, things like that. I scan for danger primarily, and ways to get out of danger secondarily. Not to a paranoid level, but just as a causal observance of my surroundings. I also take some pleasure in it. It keeps my brain moving while still keeping me relatively safe. A million things can go wrong, so let's figure them out lol.

Adfectus

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I always look at people's clothes and the way they dress. Hair, makeup, shoes, anything. Sometimes I do get lost in thought but a great outfit always grabs my attention. I try to compliment if the person looks approachable. I've had people tell me it makes their day so I always try to spread positivity.

I probably look at people way too often. It confuses a lot of men and women thinking I am actually interested in them and can tick others off prematurely.

I struggle with this as well. I try not to compliment men because they never take it well. (You do this to yourselves, guys)

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)

This sounds exhausting!