• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Do You Look At?

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
The sky. A lot. Clouds, stars, contrails...

In urban setting - always will have headphones/music unless ambient noise is vital to safety. When getting on a train or plane I usually do a cursory sweep and look to pick someone who I think would make a capable 'emergency buddy' if anything untoward happened. It's not borne out of worry, more a game I play...

I watch both surroundings and people. Fascinated by bone structure in people : architecture of buildings and nature.

Light and what is highlighted by the absence of light...or the glow of twilight. Look at graffiti and imagine who made the image and what their intent was. Look at the homeless and wonder what their parent's dreams for them were? Look at billboards and think of, marketing strategies that would be more effective.

In the forest I walk paths and look at things from the perspective of, how an animal would view them? Or try to see what a child would - from lower down and with a sense of wonder.

Look at water droplets on leaves...how the middle of flowers look like lace...patterns on shells like mathematical formulas.... SO much to look at!

Adfectus

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This is the closest to what I do. The only time I am completely in my head is if I have music in, and there is no one around.

What I look at is everyone around, and in particular faces. I will look at everyone face that walks by me. It sort of back-processes but also front-processes, but I am getting a "read" of everyone, and will look at their body shape/language as well. I do it in such a way that they won't notice I am looking, so I dart from person to person in no particular order so my gaze does not stay stationary, unless the individual hasn't noticed me. Looking at objects in my environment is secondary.

Do people ever think you come across as anxious? I do the darting thing too because I don't wanna be caught staring at people, but some friends say it makes me look anxious, haha.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I bet many people's first answer would be 'good looking people'

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
People along with everything else.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
If it's a familiar setting- the people. I always do a scan to make sure there's nothing unusual, for safety reasons, but I pay attention to the people- especially new faces. I have to figure them out in relation to myself, and depending on what I come up with, they will become part of the background or will get more attention. Of course attractive women are an exception.

If it's unfamiliar- I'll do the look around to assess the situation- people and things. Both are subjects for examination, but as I become more comfortable the people get more attention.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I don't really look at anything in particular.

Nice pair of boobies or something occasionally. But mainly just keeping my hind-brain aware of what is going on around me in a subdued way (so I don't get run over) while thinking about different thoughts that link into other thoughts...until someone interrupts me. Often I have to resist talking to myself because I'm usually having an imaginary argument in my head.

Usually though I avoid looking at people. I deal with them all day at work, enough to know most of them aren't worth looking at or paying attention to, much as they might or might not think the same of me. If there are large numbers of people around me it changes the landscape of my thinking and I am more on edge and less inward.

I prefer to take empty, or less well travelled, routes so as to avoid too many people.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When you are walking around in a familiar public place by yourself, and there are people around. What are all the things you typically look at it as you walk around?

Is it objects? Is it people? Is it particular kinds objects- plants, animals, structures, or is it parts of people, faces or body? Are you wrapped up in your head that you don't really think about what you're looking at much less remember it? What draws your attention, and why do you think it draws your attention. Further, what are you thinking about as you do this? Is it what you're looking at, or is it merely a process that takes care of itself on a subconscious level?

I'm curious to what people will say, and if it reveals anything about our individual nature. Further, if there are any common trends or common things that are viewed and scanned.

Discuss.

people, first and foremost. advertisements as well, i think it's interesting to see what kind of media forces are around. i like to see what people are doing, how they're interacting with their environment, the amount of openness to others they're demonstrating, etc. nature comes next, i like to look at things like trees and flowers and the sky and landforms wherever i'm at, because it makes me feel more aware of divinity, and puts me in a broader space.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
people, first and foremost. advertisements as well, i think it's interesting to see what kind of media forces are around. i like to see what people are doing, how they're interacting with their environment, the amount of openness to others they're demonstrating, etc. nature comes next, i like to look at things like trees and flowers and the sky and landforms wherever i'm at, because it makes me feel more aware of divinity, and puts me in a broader space.

It's funny, because after I posted, I thought about this question some more. And I think I just treat everything as an advertisement, so I've learned to block everything out. Crazy, man. :mellow:

á´…eparted

passages
Do people ever think you come across as anxious? I do the darting thing too because I don't wanna be caught staring at people, but some friends say it makes me look anxious, haha.

Nah. If I am called anxious it's for other reasons. I'm usually very good at hiding what I am looking at, and still being natural with my gaze. If I am bad at it no one has seem to notice anyway. Part of it is if I am met with eye contact, I don't instantly look away, and I'll usually acknowledge the person.

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting question. That depends on the moment of course. I'm very focused on the atmosphere. Art. Nature. Body language.

To be honest I focus on "are people happy". Do they seem to be what they are ? Or are they really how they seem to be.

I follow my instinct and intuition much more that what is supposed to be reasonable for sure.

I love to look at informations when at home most of the time.

I love to feel the energy around, I know instinctively how I feel facing a situation or a person.

joealienprince

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love people watching!! when I'm out in public, first and foremost I'm looking at plants and trees and wondering what they do for each other and for humans
:) one thing I've done ever since I was a little kid, is imagine that I'm in a music video for my own songs. its easiest (obvi) when I'm alone walking, and its such a lovely thing to do because you feel like you're innovating and existing in your own little world!

its best to do that on a really pretty day when you can hear birds chirping and you can see dust particles in the sunset and stuff
idk

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When you are walking around in a familiar public place by yourself, and there are people around. What are all the things you typically look at it as you walk around?

Is it objects? Is it people? Is it particular kinds objects- plants, animals, structures, or is it parts of people, faces or body? Are you wrapped up in your head that you don't really think about what you're looking at much less remember it? What draws your attention, and why do you think it draws your attention. Further, what are you thinking about as you do this? Is it what you're looking at, or is it merely a process that takes care of itself on a subconscious level?

I look at people around me. I avoid their faces; what I monitor is their closeness to me. If they're close enough to attack or in a pose that indicates that are interested in doing so.

Other than that, I mostly just look at the environment itself. I'm into maps so I like seeing streets, where they connect, and to which buildings and places they are connected. It's cool seeing these intersections in person rather than just on Google Maps. I like looking at structures and generally just memorizing where I am. I have a decent sense of direction and that's partially due to my natural observations of where I am. That's my main focus rather than on nature itself, like plants and animals.

I don't really notice that I'm doing this when I'm doing it. It's just that looking back on it, this is what I remember most. I'm building my own inner map to the best of my abilities. I'm not really sure why exactly I do this. Maybe to not get lost, but I suppose it's more than that.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hard to say, I kinda look at everything. The doctor's office is a good example of this. I don't really sit down, so I stand up and look at everything-the posters, the stuff on the staff's walls. Then when I'm sitting in the doctor's room, I start seeing faces in the outlets, wondering how old their computers are, what would happen if I used their sink. I also look at people when I'm out, I have to try not to stare at them. If I am, it's because I like their hair or they got a dog next to them or I'll see what they have in their cart at the store and then start wondering about what kind of person they are.

In a place with other humans? It used to be faces first and foremost. Clothes are just window dressing ultimately. They can tell you some things about a person but the faces, the expressions, even the lack of an expression can give away pertinent information. Styles may change but faces are a record of habits. Especially the older the face. You can’t hide a million smiles or a million frowns outside of plastic surgery and even when such a method is used it still tells you quite a bit about the individual. Unfortunately now all I see are masks.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My response entirely depends on my mood, and goal. I can easily get wrapped up in a daydream as I walk. But I always ALWAYS have a subconscious part of my mind that is always on the look out. It's the part of your mind that reacts before you can think. So even in a day dream my evasion and reactions are on point.

Then there are the days I just soak up the natural enviroment. The sounds, smells, and scenery. Grounding is something I do to help my anxiety.

In both situations, I notice movement before anything else. So I zero in on animals and "unusual" movement or out of place things. I can somehow keep track of things withoit realizing it, and notice when something is amiss.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In the grocery store, I seem to be obsessed with people who aren't wearing their masks right and grumbling to myself when I see people working there who all don't have them on their noses.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
In the grocery store, I seem to be obsessed with people who aren't wearing their masks right and grumbling to myself when I see people working there who all don't have them on their noses.

Me too!