• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stereotyping

Kelly777

MBTI Type
Infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hello!
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. First of all, I don't mean to ruffle any feathers. But something has been bothering me lately, not only here but out in the world. I'm forty. When I was growing up there was a lot of stereotyping. It was the norm. Girls played with dolls. Dads went to work. I'm not even going to get into the cultural stereotypes because so much of it is offensive. It seems that there has been a social movement against stereotyping. I'm not sure when it began, exactly. And yes, I get it. You can't make general assumptions about whole groups of people because there are always exceptions to the rules. And people may be offended at stereotypes, even when they are true. Especially when they are true.

However, I think that fear of stereotyping can seriously cripple a person's ability to judge a situation. There is a difference in believing that all members in a group do X and believing there is a tendency of a majority of members to do X. If you can't judge what the pattern is you can't even begin to form a theory about what might happen next. An example; I told my daughter that I read about a study in which a gun was placed on a low table. Young children were told told not to touch the gun. They were told about the dangers of playing with guns. The adults left the room and watched the children through a two way mirror. All the boys played with the gun. All the girls looked for something else to do. I made a comment about how boys tend to be less cautious by nature than girls. My daughter was very upset. She said this is stereotyping. It was an experiment. We are all influenced by our hormones. Yes, there are probably some very daring girls out there as well as some very timid boys. But testosterone still influences us to be more assertive, less cautious, more aggressive, and to have higher libidos. Boys usually have more. To me this is just common sense.

As far as stereoptyping and personality types. Yeah, I know. Sensors can like poetry. Feelers can seem cold sometimes. Maybe all introverted intuitives aren't spacey, though I doubt that. Etc. But I've come across a number of people, here and elsewhere who are so anti stereotyping that I wonder why they bother to show an interest in typing at all. And it is typing. Not " Let's all pretend we're exactly the same."

So I have to throw this out there. I think there are some trouble areas in trying to type yourself. For one thing the online test questions can be too vague. The descriptions online don't go into enough detail about the exceptions to the rules or other influences such as instinctual variants or how our personalities change as we develope. But if we get too worried about stereotypes within MBTI It's not typing anymore.

Maybe what would be more helpful is to be mindful of black and white thinking. There are always going to be variations, exceptions, extenuating circumstances. MBTI is just a guideline.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Socialization > hormones.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
However, I think that fear of stereotyping can seriously cripple a person's ability to judge a situation. There is a difference in believing that all members in a group do X and believing there is a tendency of a majority of members to do X. If you can't judge what the pattern is you can't even begin to form a theory about what might happen next. An example; I told my daughter that I read about a study in which a gun was placed on a low table. Young children were told told not to touch the gun. They were told about the dangers of playing with guns. The adults left the room and watched the children through a two way mirror. All the boys played with the gun. All the girls looked for something else to do. I made a comment about how boys tend to be less cautious by nature than girls. My daughter was very upset. She said this is stereotyping. It was an experiment. We are all influenced by our hormones. Yes, there are probably some very daring girls out there as well as some very timid boys. But testosterone still influences us to be more assertive, less cautious, more aggressive, and to have higher libidos. Boys usually have more. To me this is just common sense.

Have you considered the fact that gender roles influence the behavior of boys and girls? It can't really be confirmed that hormones affect personality unless you are knowledgeable of human biology or psychology. How do you know whether or not the gender hormone only affects physical growth? That is jumping to conclusions and making assumptions, not common sense. It is strange though, how a large majority of people your age (parents) tend to have traditional beliefs and my generation tend to think otherwise, at least to some extent. The problem is, thinking a group has a tendency to behave a certain way always becomes everyone belonging to that group behaves that way.

So I have to throw this out there. I think there are some trouble areas in trying to type yourself. For one thing the online test questions can be too vague. The descriptions online don't go into enough detail about the exceptions to the rules or other influences such as instinctual variants or how our personalities change as we develope. But if we get too worried about stereotypes within MBTI It's not typing anymore.

Because the MBTI stereotypes are not true, just as most stereotypes are. Black and white thinking is wrong, and a result of mental laziness and shallow mindedness. Instead of thinking to understand the true meaning of the functions, there is a risk of being typed according to what stereotype you fit into most. It's a problem because it is logically inconsistent and because when the person learns more they realize they are mistyped, then it goes in a circle of confusion, because they can't tell what facts are true or false.

MBTI stereotypes are illogical to the theory.
Gender and race stereotypes is discrimination, whether or not fact applies to the majority or not.

If gender stereotypes didn't exist, would Racism, Homophobia, and Sexism exist?

Kelly777

MBTI Type
Infj
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do have knowledge of the effects of sex hormones on human behavior and development which I should have stated for clarity. Look into 2d:4d ratio. The length of your index finger in proportion to the length of your ring finger indicates the levels of testosterone you were exposed to in utero. This has definite implications for both sexes as to behavior, abilities, disadvantages and even what diseases you will be more vulnerable to. My daughter and I have discussed this at length because we both have very long ring fingers indicating higher exposure to male hormones. And although we are feminine in ways we both exhibit the some of the traits that recent scientific studies indicate we would have the potential for as being more sensitive to testosterone fluctuations.

I never said that it's right to stereotype. I'm just saying that there is nothing wrong with noticing patterns as long as you steer clear of black and white thinking and recognize that there are always exceptions to the rule. Saying that we should be mindful of black and white thinking means to be aware so as not to fall into that trap.

I am actually not traditional at all, though I was raised that way. I want to point out that your comment about my generation could be taken as stereotyping as much as anything that I have said. That stereotype is not true for me. But I'm not offended at your statement. You noticed a difference between the trends in my generations and yours and although I don't fit that statement, you still have a point. Which is exactly what I'm getting at. You should be allowed to notice patterns. Noticing them does not amount to discriminating against them. There is nothing wrong with being traditional, non-traditional, feminine, masculine, young, old majority, minority.

Why don't you give me an example of an mbti stereotype that is causing trouble in self typing so that I can be clear on what you mean?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why don't you give me an example of an mbti stereotype that is causing trouble in self typing so that I can be clear on what you mean?

People have a problem with me typing as an ISFJ because I have "strong personal values" and apparently only Fi users are allowed to have that. :shrug:

Also, no one wants to type as an SJ because they all have sticks up their asses and are ultra-conservative and have robot hive minds.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
one of the reasons that I don't put a type down (other than not really being sure of a type for sure) is because I got tired of getting comments like "you're so smart for a sensor!" and shit like that which needs to die in a fire

THAT is one of the major reasons that I'm very against stereotyping in personality theory, because a lot of it is just flat out wrong :thumbdown:

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
one of the reasons that I don't put a type down (other than not really being sure of a type for sure) is because I got tired of getting comments like "you're so smart for a sensor!" and shit like that which needs to die in a fire

THAT is one of the major reasons that I'm very against stereotyping in personality theory, because a lot of it is just flat out wrong :thumbdown:

I vacillate re:displaying my deets for the same reason. It puts me in mind of approaching a grocery shelf and looking at a huge display of food items. One genre may be stacked in a section - but to really ascertain the flavours and nutritional content - you need to turn it over and read the ingredients. Types/Enneagrams...may be sorted and stacked but individual inspection is necessary to ensure one isn't simply confirming pre-conceived notions and expectations.

wolfnara

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

But that is just a piece of text on the internet. It can't prove anything. Imo

The more you learn about personality theory, the more you realize that some characteristics associated with personality types has nothing to do with the described cognitive functions. Actually I made a post about the stereotype of each function in types. Basically;
SJ- Tradition and Memory
NJ- Goals and visions
FJ - Caring about others feelings and values only
FP - Reverse of FJ
NP - Creative and don't finish "projects"
SP - Live in the moment and shallow mindedness

These are all the basic stereotypes which originated from a vast oversimplification of each definition of cognitive functions. Of course a person can behave like their stereotype, but these are inconsistent to the actual definition. People studying or explaining MBTI and then the Cognitive functions often combine the two - which makes sense to think that these relate in some way - and incorrectly conclude that for example, Ne in NP types = brainstorming, imagination, spontaneity, creativity. There is a lot of stereotypes and reasoning behind it, that was just a brief explanation.

I am actually not traditional at all, though I was raised that way. I want to point out that your comment about my generation could be taken as stereotyping as much as anything that I have said. That stereotype is not true for me. But I'm not offended at your statement. You noticed a difference between the trends in my generations and yours and although I don't fit that statement, you still have a point. Which is exactly what I'm getting at. You should be allowed to notice patterns. Noticing them does not amount to discriminating against them. There is nothing wrong with being traditional, non-traditional, feminine, masculine, young, old majority, minority.

I see, that is true. I was generalizing there. There is reason behind that though. Your generation have a tendency to adhere to traditional values because the society that you were raised in had a stronger gender divide. Genders had a different role in the economy in the past. Now both men and woman are more often expected to work, and the idea of gender is beginning to change slightly through the media.
That contrasts with your point that gender differences are based on biological factors. I was relating gender to social constructs and the stereotypes existing within that in your generation.

I do have knowledge of the effects of sex hormones on human behavior and development which I should have stated for clarity. Look into 2d:4d ratio. The length of your index finger in proportion to the length of your ring finger indicates the levels of testosterone you were exposed to in utero. This has definite implications for both sexes as to behavior, abilities, disadvantages and even what diseases you will be more vulnerable to. My daughter and I have discussed this at length because we both have very long ring fingers indicating higher exposure to male hormones. And although we are feminine in ways we both exhibit the some of the traits that recent scientific studies indicate we would have the potential for as being more sensitive to testosterone fluctuations.

Interesting. We all have both of male and female hormones to an extent, in my understanding. Women are generally supposed to have equal length of index and ring fingers. How do you know sex hormones affect human behavior? Couldn't socialization have a greater effect on personalities?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Stereotypes like that lose steam as people meet more and more intelligent sensors. Of course it won't work if people don't know you are a sensor. They will just assume you are an intuitive because you are intelligent, and the stereotype will persist.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
when ever i see this thread, i think "I wish someone would draw a picture of a stereo typing"

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Then provide a citation from a scientific study please.

I first read it in this book that NFs have the highest suicide rates: Survival Games Personalities Play: Eve Delunas Ph.D.: 9781450513463: Amazon.com: Books
I do not have the book anymore, as it was on loan. It took me a while to find it on Amazon, but I'm pretty sure that's the right book.
I will try to find a page number reference for you. If I can get another copy, I can see what Delunas' (the author's) source was for her claims.

Starry

I first read it in this book that NFs have the highest suicide rates: Survival Games Personalities Play: Eve Delunas Ph.D.: 9781450513463: Amazon.com: Books
I do not have the book anymore, as it was on loan. It took me a while to find it on Amazon, but I'm pretty sure that's the right book.
I will try to find a page number reference for you. If I can get another copy, I can see what Delunas' (the author's) source was for her claims.

Okay...let me help you out here.

Here are Dr. Eve Delunas' credentials/how she describes her professional expertise:'

Dr. Eve Delunas psychotherapist, organizational consultant, explorer and teacher of the psychospiritual realm

Ready to Make a Change? This Works Better Than Willpower Alone!

You have indicated that NFs having the highest suicide rate is a fact and so I am asking you for scientific evidence of this claim.

strychnine

All Natural! All Good!
Okay...let me help you out here.

Here are Dr. Eve Delunas' credentials/how she describes her professional expertise:'

You have indicated that NFs having the highest suicide rate is a fact and so I am asking you for scientific evidence of this claim.

That is, she may have referenced a scientific study though she herself is not a researcher.

In the meantime, feel free to buy me a copy of the book.

Starry

That is, she may have referenced a scientific study though she herself is not a researcher.

In the meantime, feel free to buy me a copy of the book.

She may have. But considering MBTI isn't considered a science...I doubt it.