• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your perception of trolls

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Trolls intentionally try to provoke people because they're bored. That's my definition of the terminology.

Or just attention whores

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see different varieties. I'd go into lengthier mode and list the troll subtypes, but I'd get bored with the topic.

In a nutshell, some can be funny and thought-provoking (my favorite kind), some can be mindless thread derailers, some can be outright bullies.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If someone doesn't fit into your narrative of how people should be are they a troll ?

No. Trolling IMO is someone trying to provoke others by doing irritating things out of pure boredom, or for the purpose of seeking attention.

Being disagreeable alone does not constitute as trolling.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Originally in Norse and Scandinavian folklore - although trolls were able to appear human - they were isolated beings. Not helpful or friendly to humans, even dangerous. :thinking:

If I suspect someone is a troll I won’t engage but will observe, discerning intent behind the words of messages. Lower intellect, communicative ability or disagreement won’t provoke thoughts of trolling. Being a gleeful s*** disturber who displays little respect/attempts at understanding and consistently pursues an agenda = will.

Troll_zpshjhrcbr6.jpg

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Trolls provoke others primarily to upset or abuse them. This is sometimes accompanied by remarks that their posts are "controversial" or "blunt," but the intention is usually made clear by disrespect in tone and the intellectual contortions they have to keep up to maintain their presence in the conversation. The way they leave a conversation is also indicative. Trolls seem to have a need to announce why they wish to leave a conversation, usually in an attempt to put down other participants in the thread, rather than simply leave. Many low-level trolls will also start ridiculously controversial threads in order to cause discord. Trolls cannot tolerate the accusation that they may be trolls and may resort to victim-blame, which may include ad hominem and ad hominem tu quoque. Trolls will sometimes intentionally de-contextualize statements or obsess over details that miss the point.

Personally, people who want to spread their own unrelated unhappiness with mean comments in threads are what I consider trolls. People who don't have a substantial stake in the conversation, but wanted to stir up shit anyways are trolls.

I think there is some uncertainty as to what demarcates a troll. It can be hard to tell when someone is serious and invested in a topic and when they are a troll. But this is why I think their post patterns should be taken into account. For example, people who were temporarily banned in the past and have that history have less leeway in current post interpretations, I think.

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Trolls come in all sort of colors. I can think of a few trolls that got banned here who's behavior wasn't really that appealing or shocking.

The only reason why other people like to degrade others is because humans get pleasure from their brain whenever they degrade another person. It's a sad unfortunate fact that human has this trait. I always thought they degrade other people because they think it's funny or they don't like the person.

meowington

Parody Parrot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Yeah, there's funny trolling, sometimes so obvious, that anyone who buys into it fully deserves it, and then there are trolls who make fun of death relatives (true sadists) and whatnot. It's a very broad definition.

I check this site almost daily (the lighthearted kind of trolling) : Art of Trolling
And this twitter troll is my alltime favorite : ConcerrnedMom420 Nothing but posts along the lines of "Don't snort, inject or shotgun weed!", "Don't smoke the devils' lettuce, not even once" :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Trolls provoke others primarily to upset or abuse them. This is sometimes accompanied by remarks that their posts are "controversial" or "blunt," but the intention is usually made clear by disrespect in tone and the intellectual contortions they have to keep up to maintain their presence in the conversation. The way they leave a conversation is also indicative. Trolls seem to have a need to announce why they wish to leave a conversation, usually in an attempt to put down other participants in the thread, rather than simply leave. Many low-level trolls will also start ridiculously controversial threads in order to cause discord. Trolls cannot tolerate the accusation that they may be trolls and may resort to victim-blame, which may include ad hominem and ad hominem tu quoque. Trolls will sometimes intentionally de-contextualize statements or obsess over details that miss the point.

Personally, people who want to spread their own unrelated unhappiness with mean comments in threads are what I consider trolls. People who don't have a substantial stake in the conversation, but wanted to stir up shit anyways are trolls.

I think there is some uncertainty as to what demarcates a troll. It can be hard to tell when someone is serious and invested in a topic and when they are a troll. But this is why I think their post patterns should be taken into account. For example, people who were temporarily banned in the past and have that history have less leeway in current post interpretations, I think.

OK i see your point, but you do know some of the bans those weren't trolls, like me for example i used to be a lot more reactionary than i am now, i was also younger and someone would start trolling me and i would lash out instead of reporting the post and i'd end up with the infraction. I don't set out to cause trouble, but some of the better trolls would know exactly what buttons to push to get a reaction. I finally learned to shut the fuck up and ignore such provokations. But i am stubborn . But the other person would troll in such a way that wasn't exactly breaking the rules. I've learned over the years i'm no good at veiled insults, i do best at being like you're an idiototic ass hate!!! I'm not saying i didn't deserve to be banned, because i did say some nasty things but i'm also saying not everyone who is banned is a troll. It's a bit rude to assume so just because they were banned. Yes trolls have been banned, but some trolls have been here and are good at being just on the correct side of the line and never actually getting banned.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Trolls are overt and easy to spot.

But then there are the more insidious and inconspicuous evil-doers who frequent forums as 'regulars' and undermine victims with passive-aggressive maneuvers.

I think the latter do much more damage to forum health and well-being and cause the formation of cliques which get away with their sabotage because there is strength in numbers. It's like how 8th grade boys hide and attack the retarded kid [geek, sub in whatever minority you like] after school, and get away with it because they are cunning.

It doesn't take a majority to make something right or wrong in our world. And a troll isn't the worst thing going on in forums...;)

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
OK i see your point, but you do know some of the bans those weren't trolls, like me for example i used to be a lot more reactionary than i am now, i was also younger and someone would start trolling me and i would lash out instead of reporting the post and i'd end up with the infraction. I don't set out to cause trouble, but some of the better trolls would know exactly what buttons to push to get a reaction. I finally learned to shut the fuck up and ignore such provokations. But i am stubborn . But the other person would troll in such a way that wasn't exactly breaking the rules. I've learned over the years i'm no good at veiled insults, i do best at being like you're an idiototic ass hate!!! I'm not saying i didn't deserve to be banned, because i did say some nasty things but i'm also saying not everyone who is banned is a troll. It's a bit rude to assume so just because they were banned. Yes trolls have been banned, but some trolls have been here and are good at being just on the correct side of the line and never actually getting banned.

That's true. It's more like when someone is in that grey area where they may or may not be a troll. I think their past history, in those instances, can be a nice indicator as to what their intentions are when they act trollish in the present. People who act trollish in the present, and who have been banned in the past, are probably still trolls and I'd be less likely to listen to an excuse.

But people who have shaped up? Well, they don't act trollish in the present.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
That's true. It's more like when someone is in that grey area where they may or may not be a troll. I think their past history, in those instances, can be a nice indicator as to what their intentions are when they act trollish in the present. People who act trollish in the present, and who have been banned in the past, are probably still trolls.

this is why i like you, because i can be like hold up! and you can be like ok yes and then you clarify and everything is good. I like people like that.

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I prefer to use it as a verb. I'm thinking of someone right now and I wouldn't call him a troll, he just trolls the fuck out of people for a response and it's usually about the same damn topic.
Frankly, I think he just likes to bitch. And bitch. And bitch.

I don't know who you mean, but what would you say would be the distinction between a troll and a complainer? Is a person a troll when they complain in Feedback? In politics? In the rant thread? Is there a particular section that makes someone not a complainer and troll instead? I think every person who complains wants to be heard, but trolls also seek attention, so what are your opinions on the nuances between the two?

You make a nice point but I want to be even more clear on your viewpoint.