• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Latent Memory Sensitization in Child-Rearing?

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I live near a lake and it's FASCINATING to watch birds teaching their young to fly. Leading to wonder re: child-rearing methods.

1. The birds squawk constant admonitions until the offspring has no choice but to venture forth. A ballet of nature and nurture.
2. The young ones fall on first tries. Youtube has examples. But, in falling the birds seem to pick up and enhance necessary mechanisms.

So, the birds do learn through observation but they are fine-tuning an INNATE ability. Science attributes this to genetically specified latent memory for flying.

I enjoyed this article delving into the architecture and long/short term dynamics of latent memory from standpoints: behaviourally, cellular and molecular.

Latent memory for sensitization in Aplysia

If this is true: "...it is commonly observed that, even after a memory is apparently forgotten, its latent presence can still be revealed in a subsequent learning task." - What are the implications for raising children?

Particularly in view of the field's view that this 'latent learning' can be induced.

Does how a child is raised currently (what they are taught, how they are trained) imprint on or sway the learning/living potential of future offspring from a cellular level?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am starting to formulate a theory that everything we learn that is not innately Goddish once we enter this world (even in the womb) is something that will need to be re-taught to us by God, hence why we need to be Born Again into the spirit to have eternal life, and a good life here, in God.

I know y'all are tired of hearing me use God-speak, and I am about to retire for a while, but our teaching given to us by our parents over time turns into beliefs and become such a part of our ego that we cling to them even when they make us hurt ourselves and hurt others. Therapists have a very hard time getting abusers to let go of these false notions learned predominantly in childhood, and cemented in early adulthood. This can become passed along in a good way or a bad way to our offspring and our families, depending upon if it is right or wrong, respectively.

Anything in us which is innate and good, including instinct, is directly from God. And only He can delete bad genetic or environmental learning and replace it with good learning.

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I am starting to formulate a theory that everything we learn that is not innately Goddish once we enter this world (even in the womb) is something that will need to be re-taught to us by God, hence why we need to be Born Again into the spirit to have eternal life, and a good life here, in God.
[MENTION=6336]AphroditeGoneAwry[/MENTION] While irrelevant to the question I posed, I appreciate you are a seeker of knowledge and further understanding.

I know y'all are tired of hearing me use God-speak, and I am about to retire for a while,

As a person with a strong spiritual interest I have observed your posts with fascination. I am sorry that we have not had the opportunity to speak more before this. You have many positive qualities and I feel that you will be able to accept my frank feedback in the caring spirit it is intended:

At times you speak as if your absolute truths are also the absolute truths (or should be) of your participants. This can be off-putting. I HAVE noticed that other times you pose things in the form of questions and I applaud this as a communication form that engenders sharing.

You are passionate about your spiritual health and concerns and this is admirable. I understand that your life is linked intrinsically with your worship. Not all posts require a religious response. It is healthy for us to examine things from viewpoints that indulge mental exercises (science-philosophy-art-based etc.) without consistently using our beliefs as the 'first club out of the bag' in response.

There may be some confusion as to your intent. Are you figuring things out? Are you preaching? Intent is powerful in any human interaction and the confusion regarding your own person may contribute to a murky intent at times from the perspective of other's.

but our teaching given to us by our parents over time turns into beliefs and become such a part of our ego that we cling to them even when they make us hurt ourselves and hurt others. Therapists have a very hard time getting abusers to let go of these false notions learned predominantly in childhood, and cemented in early adulthood. This can become passed along in a good way or a bad way to our offspring and our families, depending upon if it is right or wrong, respectively.

I did mention the "nurture" aspect in my post and you address that here. My question was specifically regarding latent memories and how they applied to the future. I appreciate your perspective nonetheless and family ideation is an interesting topic in it's own right.

Anything in us which is innate and good, including instinct, is directly from God. And only He can delete bad genetic or environmental learning and replace it with good learning.

Personal responsibility and accountability is not voided by devotion. A belief in God often does credit good to the direct Source. Still, sacred texts and eminent spiritual leaders advocate learning, change and enlightenment. I understand that one who believes would feel divine help is possible with this but it does not negate our personal ability {obligation} to learn and adjust.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=6336]AphroditeGoneAwry[/MENTION] While irrelevant to the question I posed, I appreciate you are a seeker of knowledge and further understanding.

In my mind the OP and my response go together. :shock:

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
Could be different perspectives or that I didn't communicate clearly what was in my head :)

no%20harm_zpsn1itpglf.jpg