• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why?

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I've noticed that some people seem to care way too much about their types. Whether it's making numerous type-me threads or only posting in fluff-typing threads, it's like people have a preoccupation with their type. There's nothing wrong with being very curious, but when you're not even engaging with the forum besides asking about yourself, it's going too far. Right?
I admit to having done this a little myself. I have a few type-me threads lying around, and a lot of my posts are in the fluff-type arena. But I mean, I try to engage with the rest of the forum on a frequent basis.

It also seems like when people make type-me threads, they're only looking for a certain answer. If you give them something other than what they expect, or what they have listed, they just keep pushing and pushing. They only want a certain answer. I'm honestly not pointing fingers; I see this literally everywhere. It's never a genuine type me thread - it's a "tell me I'm right, and if you don't, I'll tell you I am" thread.

It's honestly very irritating to me. I'm not trying to be passive-aggressive towards anyone, and I don't want anyone to feel personally targeted. I probably couldn't even name names if I tried. But if you recognize yourself as one of those people...why? I'm really interested to know.

Rant over, I guess.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think that a lot of times people do that just to confirm what they already think instead of being open minded to new suggestions... though I can't know for sure because I'm pretty certain that I've never actually asked the forum to type me :shrug:

á´…eparted

passages
People like labels. It makes them feel good, special, and unique. There's a portion of people who get into typology who (whether they're aware of it or not) simply want their ego's stroked.

This is a major reason why I don't help type people until they're well established.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I first started, I was trying to make sense of my existence and personality theory was one such avenue, or rather, escape.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've noticed that some people seem to care way too much about their types. Whether it's making numerous type-me threads or only posting in fluff-typing threads, it's like people have a preoccupation with their type. There's nothing wrong with being very curious, but when you're not even engaging with the forum besides asking about yourself, it's going too far. Right?
I admit to having done this a little myself. I have a few type-me threads lying around, and a lot of my posts are in the fluff-type arena. But I mean, I try to engage with the rest of the forum on a frequent basis.

It also seems like when people make type-me threads, they're only looking for a certain answer. If you give them something other than what they expect, or what they have listed, they just keep pushing and pushing. They only want a certain answer. I'm honestly not pointing fingers; I see this literally everywhere. It's never a genuine type me thread - it's a "tell me I'm right, and if you don't, I'll tell you I am" thread.

It's honestly very irritating to me. I'm not trying to be passive-aggressive towards anyone, and I don't want anyone to feel personally targeted. I probably couldn't even name names if I tried. But if you recognize yourself as one of those people...why? I'm really interested to know.

Rant over, I guess.

I think that some of the people who come on this site have such a narrow-minded perspective on life/people/society that upon being introduced to typology they see in it a little-known cure-all capable of solving many of life's problems and giving them the answers they need for not only themselves but potentially everyone. To such a person accurately self-labelling with one of the types and being accepted as being that type by all others is definitely the priority for their egos, and justification that they are a potent objective wielder of the system in others' eyes and to themselves. This is magnified by being seen as one of the "special elite" types upon whom the creators of typology lent an incredible amount of positive bias to in their descriptions. I think it's possible it has recently just come clear to you how annoying this behavior actually is upon realizing your own type and the limitations of the system, as the bulk of quality that defines a human being has nothing to do with typology at all.

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think people just like attention. Also the fluff typing doesn't require as much thought as other threads, so it's easier to post when you're just chilling. I guess they don't realize that posting in non fluff or type me threads will help people type them more accurately.

When typing people I tell them what I really think, and if they are only looking for people to affirm a certain type then that is their fault. If they really want to know their true type then they will eventually take the time to consider other types, do their research, really think about it, ect. But they have to come to that on their own I think.

I have to admit that I created a few type me threads, but at least I was actually open to different types. I also liked to talk about myself since I don't like people irl to know certain things about me. But this is why I created one of those blog things. Then you don't have to spam everyone, and maybe it can help you realize your actual type if you look back on it.

I think type me threads can be good since they attract people to they site (that's what attracted me anyway), but type me threads alone don't always lead to the correct conclusion. Basically you get what you put in when it comes to typology (and most things).

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i care way too much about how other people see me thus i trust others to type me more than myself

Ursa

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
8w7
It can be relieving to finally discover your type. Many people view type as a big help in the process of self-discovery, which is hard enough as it is.

It should be expected that this occurs on a typology forum. People who are looking for a certain answer may just be seeking strict confirmation or rejection. It's not my problem why people create type me threads anyways. I don't have to answer if I don't want to.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I think that a lot of times people do that just to confirm what they already think instead of being open minded to new suggestions... though I can't know for sure because I'm pretty certain that I've never actually asked the forum to type me :shrug:

w-h-a-t-e-v-e-r = e-v-[i-l t-w-i-n.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that some of the people who come on this site have such a narrow-minded perspective on life/people/society that upon being introduced to typology they see in it a little-known cure-all capable of solving many of life's problems and giving them the answers they need for not only themselves but potentially everyone. To such a person accurately self-labelling with one of the types and being accepted as being that type by all others is definitely the priority for their egos, and justification that they are a potent objective wielder of the system in others' eyes and to themselves. This is magnified by being seen as one of the "special elite" types upon whom the creators of typology lent an incredible amount of positive bias to in their descriptions. I think it's possible it has recently just come clear to you how annoying this behavior actually is upon realizing your own type and the limitations of the system, as the bulk of quality that defines a human being has nothing to do with typology at all.

:yes:

Also the lure of typology is a nice neat little label that explains everything.

Except...it doesn't.

But I think most of us went through this phase, and if sticking to the forum or digging deeper into it, soon realize there's a lot more to it. Also, by the time you realize there's a lot more to it, that's also when typology starts becoming less important/usefu (you realize everything it doesn't explain/ all of the dimensions of a persons' character outside of it)l! haha. ie why it's 'easy' to type someone if you don't know a huge amount about them, as you can generally lump them into one of 16 boxes, but the more you learn, the more things start to unravel.

Permabanned

Rant over, I guess.

It's interesting how self revealing the things that irk us can be, and amusing to see stereotyped projection.

The true answers lie within, not with others.