• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Humbleness as a strategy to gain bragging rights

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
The braggart is just more transparent.

And neither strategy is exclusively connected to being better. Some people just do feel great about who they are and what they've accomplished. And they can talk about this without it coming from a need to be better. Just like some people seem to have a humble nature, that is not necessarily rooted in self-righteousness.

I think sometimes, no often, people hold humility in too high of a regard. As though the world wants you to keep your greatness in check. Don't believe in yourself too much, don't love yourself too much, don't feel too good! It makes the rest of the disconnected wretches uncomfortable. You'll be labelled a 'narcissist'!
And ironically, many of the psychological issues people develop stem from low self-worth. Needing to prove ones value. Needing to prove to the others, the outside, that one is deserving of love.

Your not a narcissist if you can see in others the greatness you see in yourself.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yeah, people should be able to discuss topics that bring positive attention to them without being labeled a braggart. It seems hard though; a study has shown people to be more empathetic towards someone who's suffered a loss rather than someone who's doing well.

I can also ask myself what's my motivation in this. Do I want to feel superior to those braggarts? That's my immediate reaction yes, but I feel something else too. Seeing that kind of interaction - two competing braggarts - pains me. I'd rather have a braggart tone it down a notch and the sensitive girl (guy) to be more accepting of someone who plays a good role in their own story. I want to hear about things that are worthwhile, and often I can hear them from someone who has first hand experience. These people have done well and they can tell about it.

Then there's the distant possibility of enlightenment, where I could be content without wordly needs of recognition. I'm really not there yet, and I'm not sure if that's a worthwhile goal if taken to the extreme. I think it's natural to desire recognition of something we've done well, even if the competition for recognition can sometimes get ugly.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's weird, sometimes I really want to tell people what all I did to get to my current station in life because I am just so happy but I know that in doing that, it really does come off as bragging and then people would love to put me "back into my place". I really don't want to deal with pissing contests so I try not to say much of anything... It's annoying.