• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Narcissism and Reality

Mole

Permabanned
Narcissus gazed into a pond and saw his own reflection but did not know it was his own reflection. So Narcissus was out of touch with reality. Just as today narcissists are out of touch with reality, whether they are in the government of the USA or in Typology Central.

“We’re an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you’re studying that reality — judiciously, as you will — we’ll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that’s how things will sort out. We’re history’s actors . . . and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.

- Karl Rove

The government of the USA is infected with narcissism and like any narcissist believes it creates its own reality. And such narcissism led to the criminal invasion of Iraq and the destruction of Iraq and Syria.

And just like the USA government Typology Central is infected with narcissism and out of touch with reality. To believe we can apply an unreliable and invalid personality test to ourselves and interpret the result, in order to know and understand our own personality, is the height of narcissism and out of touch with reality.

So narcissism is a national problem, from the highest reaches the lowest personality test.

Will reality correct this national narcissism? We have recently seen one Global Financial Meltdown (GFM), leading to no significant reforms of the financial system in the USA, and the USA is on track for a second GFM, to be paid for by the American taxpayer. Only this time it looks as though the American GFM will occur at the same time a Chinese GFM. The Chinese are at the moment defying financial gravity, and they will come crashing down too. Leading to a GFM that is so big that not even the American taxpayer will be able to pay for it.

And so narcissism will collide with reality.

But in the Ancient Greek myth of Narcissus, when narcissism collided with reality, Narcissus drowned. Will we drown too?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Narcissus gazed into a pond and saw his own reflection but did not know it was his own reflection. So Narcissus was out of touch with reality. Just as today narcissists are out of touch with reality, whether they are in the government of the USA or in Typology Central.

The government of the USA is infected with narcissism and like any narcissist believes it creates its own reality. And such narcissism led to the criminal invasion of Iraq and the destruction of Iraq and Syria.

And just like the USA government Typology Central is infected with narcissism and out of touch with reality. To believe we can apply an unreliable and invalid personality test to ourselves and interpret the result, in order to know and understand our own personality, is the height of narcissism and out of touch with reality.

So narcissism is a national problem, from the highest reaches the lowest personality test.

Will reality correct this national narcissism? We have recently seen one Global Financial Meltdown (GFM), leading to no significant reforms of the financial system in the USA, and the USA is on track for a second GFM, to be paid for by the American taxpayer. Only this time it looks as though the American GFM will occur at the same time a Chinese GFM. The Chinese are at the moment defying financial gravity, and they will come crashing down too. Leading to a GFM that is so big that not even the American taxpayer will be able to pay for it.

And so narcissism will collide with reality.

But in the Ancient Greek myth of Narcissus, when narcissism collided with reality, Narcissus drowned. Will we drown too?

Yes, we live in a narcissistic age. The narcissistic predators are loose and running the show. They will burn this place down through their greed.

The only real defense is throwing the predators in jail, but when the predators control the regulatory agencies, there is no.

So, it is going to be a bumpy ride to the bottom.....

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Consistent naval gazing under one's own pretentiousness presumably isn't narcissism then?

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree with your take on narcissism. At least, when you talk about it in concept and in the context of the 'higher reaches.'

But almost nobody on TypoC actually treats the personality test itself as some god or sacred cow or something. For almost everyone, the test has been a jumping-off point that led them here via Google or something like that. From here, a majority then is motivated to get down to the nitty-gritty, honestly trying to understand themselves and the dynamic -- the conversation, the dance, the game -- involving themselves and reality.

Though uhm.. correct me if I'm wrong, fellow members. You know yourselves better than I do.

XV25

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well that was a bit pessimistic! I hope you don't fell so down all of the time. Like anything else your brain likes to catastrophize, the real world is probably not a shitty as the one in your head is.

But I think it is important to point out that this is just a human nature thing, not a US government thing. I don't know why people always find reasons to bash the US... That people think of number one first, and think very highly of number one, isn't new. I mean you know this. Nero. Fucking Nero.

Not to say nothing can be done about it, many aspects of human nature can be toned down or addressed through how society is structured. Or w/e. I don't think narcissism is very high on the list of things that need to be fixed though.

I think we can all agree that a test, no matter how comprehensive, can't be taken too literally when it comes to classifying people. For like a ton of reasons. But I think that kind of misses the point. As I see it, it is more of a tool you can use to try to better understand how other people view the world, so you can better interact with them and maybe not think everyone around you is a complete idiot when really they just have different priorities or look at problems a different way.

That some people take it waaaaaaaaayyyyy too seriously is just a function of us being on the internet. You know, anonymity and freedom from consequences? This site is not unique in that respect.

Not to mention you forget the most important part of a test that types you; it's fun!

--------------------------------------------------------------

What kind of dinosaur are you?

Ankylosaur! W-what? Dammit this test is stupid!

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
What the fuck did I just read *goes back to admiring self*

Mole

Permabanned
Well that was a bit pessimistic! I hope you don't fell so down all of the time. Like anything else your brain likes to catastrophize, the real world is probably not a shitty as the one in your head is.

But I think it is important to point out that this is just a human nature thing, not a US government thing. I don't know why people always find reasons to bash the US... That people think of number one first, and think very highly of number one, isn't new. I mean you know this. Nero. Fucking Nero.

Not to say nothing can be done about it, many aspects of human nature can be toned down or addressed through how society is structured. Or w/e. I don't think narcissism is very high on the list of things that need to be fixed though.

I think we can all agree that a test, no matter how comprehensive, can't be taken too literally when it comes to classifying people. For like a ton of reasons. But I think that kind of misses the point. As I see it, it is more of a tool you can use to try to better understand how other people view the world, so you can better interact with them and maybe not think everyone around you is a complete idiot when really they just have different priorities or look at problems a different way.

That some people take it waaaaaaaaayyyyy too seriously is just a function of us being on the internet. You know, anonymity and freedom from consequences? This site is not unique in that respect.

Not to mention you forget the most important part of a test that types you; it's fun!

We know how to do astronomy, in fact we are so successful we have just measured gravity waves for the first time. And knowing how to do astronomy we know astrology has no truth value.

And by the same token we know how to measure personality with psychometrics, and knowing how to do psychometrics we know mbti has no truth value.

We do know though that mbti is plausible, it uses the same techniques as astrology, and is used for emotional manipulation, and mbti appeals to those with a low IQ, particularly a low moral IQ.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I bet when Narcissus drowned it felt like an orgasm.

XV25

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

Right. Psychometrics, the One True words.

Where did IQ come from again? How is this related to narcissism? Does my dog have a blue collar?

Mole

Permabanned
I bet when Narcissus drowned it felt like an orgasm.

You do reveal your predilections to us. No matter what the topic your thoughts return orgasm. This would suggest you don't fully experience a whole body and mind orgasm, and so you feel deprived, and like a starving man, your thoughts keep returning to food, or in this case to orgasm.

So I suggest you learn to feed yourself, and a good place to start is The Function of the Orgasm by Wilhelm Reich, click on http://www.wilhelmreichtrust.org/function_of_the_orgasm.pdf

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You do reveal your predilections to us. No matter what the topic your thoughts return orgasm. This would suggest you don't fully experience a whole body and mind orgasm, and so you feel deprived, and like a starving man, your thoughts keep returning to food, or in this case to orgasm.

So I suggest you learn to feed yourself, and a good place to start is The Function of the Orgasm by Wilhelm Reich, click on http://www.wilhelmreichtrust.org/function_of_the_orgasm.pdf

Haha, do you have some sort of record? I believe when I last responded to you I was advocating Star Wars over lapdancing, actually. In other words, I object on grounds of lack of evidence, your honor. (You aren't "your honor"). But please, don't let that stop you from being disgusted with anything sexy at all and monologuing about it.

Mole

Permabanned
Haha, do you have some sort of record? I believe when I last responded I was advocating Star Wars over lapdancing, actually. In other words, I object on grounds of lack of evidence, your honor. (You aren't "your honor"). But please, don't let that stop you from being disgusted with anything sexy at all and monologuing about it.

You do keep on revealing yourself to us. You use disgust and sex in the same breath suggesting you feel disgust at your own sexuality.

Disgust is an important emotion as disgust shows we have broken a taboo.

You can start to discover which taboo you have broken by reading Totum and Taboo by Sigmund Freud, by clicking on http://s-f-walker.org.uk/pubsebooks/pdfs/Sigmund_Freud_Totem_and_Taboo.pdf

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Mole

Permabanned
Wait, you think Jung and MBTI are psuedoscience, but you're referring someone to Wilhelm Reich who built orgone energy detectors?

The Americans burnt the books of Wilhelm Reich and murdered him by throwing him in gaol under trumped up charges then denying him medical care.

Put simply, Wilhelm Reich was murdered by American fascists in America.

To understand American fascists read The Mass Psychology of Fascism by Wilhelm Reich, by clicking on http://www.whale.to/b/reich.pdf

And remember Carl Jung worked for the German fascists, so the psychology of fascism gives us an insight into mbti and Typology Central.

And put simply, we have a choice between the fascist Jung or the anti-fascist Reich.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
And by the same token we know how to measure personality with psychometrics, and knowing how to do psychometrics we know mbti has no truth value.

We do know though that mbti is plausible, it uses the same techniques as astrology, and is used for emotional manipulation, and mbti appeals to those with a low IQ, particularly a low moral IQ.

And remember Carl Jung worked for the German fascists, so the psychology of fascism gives us an insight into mbti and Typology Central.

And put simply, we have a choice between the fascist Jung or the anti-fascist Reich.

Ok no offense or anything, but I'm genuinely confused: Why are you on an MBTI forum if you hate MBTI? Like I'm not trying to chase you off or anything, I'm just really confused, I don't get it

Mole

Permabanned
Ok no offense or anything, but I'm genuinely confused: Why are you on an MBTI forum if you hate MBTI? Like I'm not trying to chase you off or anything, I'm just really confused, I don't get it

You are lucky because confusion is a sign of learning. Of course learning is an acquired taste.

Learning is an acquired taste because learning requires cognitive dissonance which is emotionally painful and avoided by most people.

By contrast most come here because they are emotionally hurting and hope to be soothed and find an explanation of their emotional pain.

And yes, why am on Typology Central?

I am on Typology Central because I was poached by the moderator, Geoff, from the site called Gifted and Talented.

Naturally I am fish out of water, on a site devoted to astrology, mbti, and the fascist Jung. However this is a well run site by volunteers that attracts new people every day and up to 900 people can read this site every day.

And Typology Central gives me the opportunity to mix with those I would not otherwise meet on a medium that is new to me.

And I am fascinated by the cult of mbti so impervious to reason.