User Tag List

12 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Default someone else's mental illness is NOT an excuse to be an asshole to them

last month I made a thread titled your mental illness is NOT an excuse to be an asshole and yeah, I still totally believe that

however, it did make me think a bit and after watching the forum for the past few years, I have to follow it up with this thread

You'd think that a site that focuses on something tangentially related to psychology (or really related... depends on how you view things I guess) would have more understanding and sympathy for people with mental problems and it's really not a lot of the time. I mean, I've been nervous about saying anything myself on here after watching what's happened to others and I can't say that I completely trust everyone on here to the extent that I wouldn't suspect that someone would try to use it against me at some point. I've seen it happen to others and know that it could happen to me and I'd probably be a real asshole about it

I really don't get it... if someone is putting effort into behaving themselves and fixing their problems and they're self aware enough not to be an ass to you, why would you question their judgement that way? Do you not trust people with mental illnesses even if they are getting treated for them? Is effort, medical care and awareness of oneself not enough to make up for the fact that someone is apparently "crazy"?

just thought that the last thread deserved a counterpoint with this one
    “The phrase 'Someone ought to do something' was not, by itself, a helpful one. People who used it never added the rider 'and that someone is me'.” - Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    yupp

I agree, esentially there is no excuse to be an asshole to anyone, and if you are doing it because you think you're better than them. you're doing better than them wrong.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so
    Likes N/A liked this post

Pretty much. It's the whole stigma of 'looking weak and crazy'.

Honestly, these days, I just hold up a mirror to them. Chances are, if they're being assholes to people for that reason, they are seriously projecting some insecurity issues regarding looking weak or being rejected from society.

That's their problem, not mine. And most will react two ways 1) utter denial and fury, resulting in leaving you alone if you keep it up, or 2) utter speechlessness, occasionally followed up with a thank you usually several weeks/months down the road, though in rare occasions it takes only days.
    Likes N/A, Bush liked this post

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

People with mental illness are far more likely to be the victim of a crime that the perpetrator... however they are often treated as such. There is huge stigma attached to mental health illnesses despite 2/3 experience some for of mental health illness at some point in their lives.

It's the elephant in the room, the taboo, the avoided, the cursed. Yet actually it's pretty normal. I wonder if people are more afraid that it's catching than anything else. If it is spoken about and accepted it will spread. Still though I think we are moving forward. Gone are the days where the vast majority of people with down syndrome and autism would be sent to overcrowded asylums where they were likely to never leave and lead a short life of abuse and/or as a lab rat... certainly in the west....
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"
    Likes N/A, Cassandra, HongDou liked this post

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Te

A person is who they is. We all have skeletons.. or even just things that we're not explicitly hiding but that just haven't come up in conversation yet.

This is not so cut-and-dry, because I totally understand reservations about investing time etc. etc. and so on and so forth.

But if you know a person pretty well, some sort of 'coming out of the closet' should take a backseat to what their actions have been. If for as long as you've known them, you couldn't tell that they had a mental illness, that they were gay, that they'd been abused, that they had served jail time in the past, that they were or that they were white 'all this time,' does it really matter so much? If anything, knowing now that they have some trait should change your mind about that trait rather than about that person.

"Huh, you're white? I couldn't even tell."
    J. Scott Crothers
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

MBTI
    yupp

also another trend i've noticed that annoys me is half the forum is diagnosing the other half with personality disorders. what gives you the right? how do you know so much about the other person. it seems to me any time anyone has a legit problem someone says oh they're borderline, or histrionic, or narcissitic.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Likes magpie liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    also another trend i've noticed that annoys me is half the forum is diagnosing the other half with personality disorders. what gives you the right? how do you know so much about the other person. it seems to me any time anyone has a legit problem someone says oh they're borderline, or histrionic, or narcissitic.
    People have been diagnosing other people with narcissistic personality disorder on this forum for a long time. It's nothing new.

Borderline or histrionic might be new, though.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    People have been diagnosing other people with narcissistic personality disorder on this forum for a long time. It's nothing new.

i didn't say it was new, i know it's been going on for awhile, it still doesn't make it any less ok
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    i didn't say it was new, i know it's been going on for awhile, it still doesn't make it any less ok
    True dat.
    Likes prplchknz liked this post

Permabanned
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILI Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post

Depends on what you consider new. I noticed it when I was a new member a year and a half ago.