• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extraverted Sensing, your experience.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
Hi, thanks to anyone who responds. I have a question regarding extraverted sensing. I am curious how you would describe this in yourself. Are you extremely present? How about risk taking, following impulses, do you feel a need on some level to engage the tangible world directly in some form? What has been your general experience? Thanks again.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To me Se is what connects you to present and reality. Impulses are hit or miss for me. Controlled more by Ti, not Se. It's what grounds me to what is. For me it's more like part a checks and balances system.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
let me touch this hot stove top and see what happens

Lol, if an adult did this I would be worried. I once told a non-sensor to not touch his fingers together after he touched tip of super glue because it would glue his fingers together. Guess he had to see what happened. I just laughed as he put his hand behind his back and then he ran off crying to mommy....lol...he was a little ass of a kid and I warned him.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lol, if an adult did this I would be worried. I once told a non-sensor to not touch his fingers together after he touched tip of super glue because it would glue his fingers together. Guess he had to see what happened. I just laughed as he put his hand behind his back and then he ran off crying to mommy....lol...he was a little ass of a kid and I warned him.

I jumped into a cold river from a canoe when I was a kid to see how cold it really was.

Jaguar

let me touch this hot stove top and see what happens

I burned the hell out of my hand that way when I was a little kid. Turn your hand over and look where the lines are on your fingers when you bend them. Between the lines were bubbles. (I didn't know the stove wasn't cooled down.)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I burned the hell out of my hand that way when I was a little kid. Turn your hand over and look where the lines are on your fingers when you bend them. Between the lines were bubbles. (I didn't know the stove wasn't cooled down.)

Blowing on the burn helped my son not scream on way to the kids version of care now when he grabbed the stove. Cool water doesn't work for very long before it makes the burn worse. Constant cold breeze helped the most as it keeps pulling heat away from burned skin without touching it. I pretty much sat in back seat blowing on his fingers so he didn't cry and scream. Puckered lips so air is colder when you blow out. Just breathing creates hot air as it exits. Then we got some Silvadyne I think or how ever you spell it which helped alot. Was last 2 sections of his middle 3 fingers that got burned.

Just FYI for those who have kids.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Let me sniff this flower and see what happens. Oh fuck I breathed in alien mind control spores and my vulcan logic has been overwhelmed by my human half.

That is Ne experience, us Se types just know this by the sensor version of intuition ;)

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
That is Ne experience, us Se types just know this by the sensor version of intuition ;)

I'm really curious about Ne vs Se in experiencing new things, and this thread in general. There has to be more to Se than just "Oh look, a red balloon" and that's it, right? Are you guys getting any sorts of vibes or feelings at all from the physical environment? What goes through your mind when going to a concert or something like that. I enjoy those environments myself, but I'm constantly in the fog that is Ne/Si, and I can't turn that off. Well I can, but it's extremely hard and feels totally foreign to me. I wonder how something feels when solely experienced through Se, rather than this Ne/Si perspective of mine. It's kind of alluring to me :)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=25763]Enthusiastic_Dreamer[/MENTION] Well...I don't really 'interpret' things I see or experience necessarily, at least in the moment. So my mind doesn't do any 'traversing' around what it reminds me of, what it ties into that are unrelated to the present context. I want to try to take it in raw, not throwing any of my own interpretations on it. I may notice all of its details and how it ties into the immediate environment , relationship between animals in that present reality (say for a flower in the wild), but I don't at all go 'ooh that flower is a symbol of X, or is used in perfumes, or reminds me of a movie which reminds me of...', or whatnot. All I can really say is when it comes to visuals or music, I think I tend to, or like to, just immerse myself completely in that moment, for what it is. Appreciating the sounds and sights, no need for me to have my brain connect anything. For me it's simply not necessary - it's awesome as it is, then and there, often times. :shrug: I don't know how to say it other than that.

As usual, not saying this is universal for Se.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
[MENTION=25763]Enthusiastic_Dreamer[/MENTION] Well...I don't really 'interpret' things I see or experience necessarily, at least in the moment. So my mind doesn't do any 'traversing' around what it reminds me of, what it ties into that are unrelated to the present context. I want to try to take it in raw, not throwing any of my own interpretations on it. I may notice all of its details and how it ties into the immediate environment , relationship between animals in that present reality (say for a flower in the wild), but I don't at all go 'ooh that flower is a symbol of X, or is used in perfumes, or reminds me of a movie which reminds me of...', or whatnot. All I can really say is when it comes to visuals or music, I think I tend to, or like to, just immerse myself completely in that moment, for what it is. Appreciating the sounds and sights, no need for me to have my brain connect anything. For me it's simply not necessary - it's awesome as it is, then and there, often times. :shrug: I don't know how to say it other than that.

As usual, not saying this is universal for Se.

Ohh interesting! Sometimes I wish I could just turn off my brain and enjoy something for what it is. I think the closest I can get to doing that is when I go into a completely new environment with no previous connections made. I will still be making constant connections and gaining new ideas about things, but I won't have that familiarity involved yet. Not pure observation, but it's probably the closest I can get. Even sitting outside and enjoying the sun on my skin will induce my mind to wander and think of things, like the last time I did that and the particular emotions and thoughts that last experience invoked.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm really curious about Ne vs Se in experiencing new things, and this thread in general. There has to be more to Se than just "Oh look, a red balloon" and that's it, right? Are you guys getting any sorts of vibes or feelings at all from the physical environment? What goes through your mind when going to a concert or something like that. I enjoy those environments myself, but I'm constantly in the fog that is Ne/Si, and I can't turn that off. Well I can, but it's extremely hard and feels totally foreign to me. I wonder how something feels when solely experienced through Se, rather than this Ne/Si perspective of mine. It's kind of alluring to me :)

What you explained sounds Si/Ne, not necessarily Se. Se is pretty shallow. Remove "oh look" and you have a red balloon...Se...lol

Concert, I love the complexity of the music, speed, loud, pounding bass. What do I feel or experience...the sound, the pounding, yeah. Se is more about lots of info not just taking in something like a balloon. I personally love to interact with it all as well.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ohh interesting! Sometimes I wish I could just turn off my brain and enjoy something for what it is. I think the closest I can get to doing that is when I go into a completely new environment with no previous connections made. I will still be making constant connections and gaining new ideas about things, but I won't have that familiarity involved yet. Not pure observation, but it's probably the closest I can get. Even sitting outside and enjoying the sun on my skin will induce my mind to wander and think of things, like the last time I did that and the particular emotions and thoughts that last experience invoked.

Ah. Well my mind can wander sometimes too, if I'm preoccupied with something irl for example, or similar to you, if I've taken things in and then I might visit memory lane or something, but yes in general I don't make many connections or get caught in my head when it comes to observing things - like I said, I'm just focused on that moment and what I'm experiencing and seeing.

Occasionally I think that I must come across as a 'simpleton' sometimes when it comes to comments I make while hiking with people. Like I'm seriously mesmerized with what I'm seeing, soaking it all in, and I'll be pointing out a pretty cloud or unusual lighting, or the details of a flower, or just commenting on the landscape. Or I'll just stand silent for a moment, just taking it all in. Unless I'm totally distracted with something else, I'm truly just present, and I like it that way.

I agree with [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION] though, it's not necessarily just noticing one aspect and calling it a day, it's taking in lots of things.

Permabanned

#Lern2medit8

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ah. Well my mind can wander sometimes too, if I'm preoccupied with something irl for example, or similar to you, if I've taken things in and then I might visit memory lane or something, but yes in general I don't make many connections or get caught in my head when it comes to observing things - like I said, I'm just focused on that moment and what I'm experiencing and seeing.

Occasionally I think that I must come across as a 'simpleton' sometimes when it comes to comments I make while hiking with people. Like I'm seriously mesmerized with what I'm seeing, soaking it all in, and I'll be pointing out a pretty cloud or unusual lighting, or the details of a flower, or just commenting on the landscape. Or I'll just stand silent for a moment, just taking it all in. Unless I'm totally distracted with something else, I'm truly just present, and I like it that way.

I agree with [MENTION=12103]Poki[/MENTION] though, it's not necessarily just noticing one aspect and calling it a day, it's taking in lots of things.

Yeah, I have days where I end up at work and don't remember the drive. Doesn't happen alot, but if I am under stress and have alot on my mind I can zone out easily into thought.

I am a physical hands on person with everything.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi, thanks to anyone who responds. I have a question regarding extraverted sensing. I am curious how you would describe this in yourself. Are you extremely present? How about risk taking, following impulses, do you feel a need on some level to engage the tangible world directly in some form? What has been your general experience? Thanks again.

I feel very present and aware of everything. It took a long time to realize that not everyone is like this. I feel great when I exercise and interact with the world in some way, this includes socializing and branching out and getting to know different people. Different people are different "experiences". I love to explore and see new things, and go new places. Hiking is great. I play competitive video games, and I'm hoping once finances settle down to learn Muay Thai. It's hard to describe how it is for me. I feel like I am very aware of what's going on, and what will happen as a result of certain actions. I feel very aware of how much I need to "push" in a situation, or what input will produce a certain output based on an action or otherwise something going on in the world.

Dreamer

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
What you explained sounds Si/Ne, not necessarily Se. Se is pretty shallow. Remove "oh look" and you have a red balloon...Se...lol

Concert, I love the complexity of the music, speed, loud, pounding bass. What do I feel or experience...the sound, the pounding, yeah. Se is more about lots of info not just taking in something like a balloon. I personally love to interact with it all as well.

Are there ever any filters to Se? Or do you literally absorb everything around you? Seems like it may get draining after a while. How do come down or give yourself a mental break if you need to? Or do you ever?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are there ever any filters to Se? Or do you literally absorb everything around you? Seems like it may get draining after a while. How do come down or give yourself a mental break if you need to? Or do you ever?

No mental break necessary. No filters either. It's not draining, it feels normal.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Let's see with extraverted sensation slotted in inferior position:

Obsession with beauty.
Obsession with music.
I binge to hide my anxious/stressful feelings.
Less well to remember specific facts, than the "gist" of this.
Love quality products.
Love quality clothes, I love luxurious items when I can afford it.
Obsession that my ideals need to be actualized.
Over-spender.
Memories aren't as "vivid"
Horrible hand-eye coordination.
Love to dance.
Love food (but super picky in some aspects)
Love pleasureful things, but seeing other people overdo it, is a bit touchy for me or boring.
Can be awkward with outer objects.
Incredible sensitivity to outer stimuli.
Too much stimuli or congested by outer environment gets me "touchy"

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

No energy lost other then just normal physical exhaustion depending on how hard I physically push myself and what shape I am in. I can't handle to high of social interactions. Anything more then a small handful of people I have to actually talk and interact with drains me and I have to disappear. But big crowds where I don't have to interact with anyone I did not go with other then just navigation, eye contact, etc. Doesn't phase me one bit.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I ate a penny.
I eat things off the ground.

Not Se motivated, though.