• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extraverted Sensing, your experience.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You nailed it. When I posted this, I felt like it was a bit off. I think I was just trying to break it down further, in an effort to explain the experience, but I didn't realize that in doing so I was losing the most relevant mechanism, the awareness of how all things come together, and adjusting oneself to it.

Right. I experience this as well (minus the Ti, I'm not really sure how I develop my 'plan of action' it all just feels like se impulse of moving and adjusting amongst the other vehicles, with some low-level Te in the backdrop, acknowledging times/speed and distance points. I was always the friend that drove the group, when we were in a jam and had to get somewhere very fast. In my early 20's, I was told often that my driving was 'scary'. But no (at my fault) accidents, ever. One of my best ESTJ friends once explained (to me and a few of my other friends) that she was initially scared to drive with me too, but later realize that I was holding on to a constant awareness of where everything was around me (speeds/location/lanes) with a very quick perceptual awareness, that would easily be missed by people driving with me.

Another example, when I did a few waitressing jobs back in the day, was being able to move quickly and smoothly amongst other people, in busy kitchens with hot grills and food flying. It was still a sensory overload for me, but it seemed like I could navigate it with a bit more ease and awareness than quite a few of my co-workers, who were slower and physically awkward, carrying out plates to tables, etc.

So, here is a question for you, or any other se user who might relate...

We take in the real-time data, move what its doing forward with ni and get a future impression. But I will also take in real-time data, with an understanding of how certain components came together (the state that they would have to be, to have come together the exact way they did to create this 'thang' (whatever it might be, let's stick with an object rather than a concept for now) so its the same process, but it moves both forward and backwards. However, it is different from si, because this knowledge of how it came together, isn't based off a previous experience or historical impression. It could be an entirely new object, but your looking at in real-time and just understanding, through multiple variables or function, how it came together. You relate? Anything to say on that?

I don't think Ni or Si is either just past or just future. I think they are both just as much past as they are future. Looking at both Ni doms and Si doms I don't really see a strong correlation between that. Ni is more about concepts/ideas/etc. These concepts/ideas/etc. are just as much from the past as they can be used for the future. Just like Si and saying its about historical or the actual data. It can be just as much used for the past as it is the future. One is more about the dots and the other is more about how the dots connect. If you notice Si uses a lot of stastical anaylsis and categorization to move from what to how. Ni has to go back data to move to the what. Just because you know how something is connected doesn't mean you really know exactly what is connected. With Ni if fed the what it completes the vision, with Si if fed the how it completes the vision. But Ni doesn't naturally see the what and Si does not naturally see the how.

I think us ISxP just go back and forth between our perceptions when we are in a healthier state. Just what I noticed. Se feeds the what and Ni pieces together the how. Was interesting to meet a female ESFP that was feeling out my use of Se, though I don't know if she knows MBTI, but more my use of my sensory ability in the moment. Almost like a challenge per se.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
I guess and hopefully i can convey what i'm trying to say is i take in my surroundings i'm not big on the details but i'm defiently in the moment like a song or food i notice how it sounds or tastes and i can tell if sounds or the texture is off but i can't always pinpoint why.which is why if i listen to the recorded version of a song first, i can't stand the live version because it sounds off,and vice a versa. My issue is i can't pay attention to multiple things at once if there's a lot going on i either hyper focus on one thing or get so overwhelmed that i can't focus on any of it. for me it's being with the thing and i guess yeah noticing the details in a sense but it's not like this detail is that, it's more all the details coming together to make something beautiful.

hopefully this makes sense.

My sister is an ISTP and she's similar to this.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've taken many risks, been called brave for a woman, and been told countless times I needed to learn "the hard way." It really makes me sad though SP is associated with stupid, when anyone can be stupid due to upbringing (honestly I think SJs are most entirely warped by upbringing or subject to brain washing because of sensing and conformity)...I also think Ns can be stupid due to naive tendencies or living in a pseudo-reality or theoretical realm.

I personally like history, especially visual and musical history, but I've been an advanced reader since middle school, and I think it helps my mind TREMENDOSLY to avoid television.

I was really lucky though. I had good people telling me commercials were corrupt and butter wasn't necessary.

SJ are more beholden to upbringing, NT to pure theory (rather than common sense or folk tales) and NF to ideological purity. I think I'm most beholden to ancient wisdom, which can be both beneficial and dangerous. I like fairy tales, myths and images of people who live with animals, and my Pinterist boards are filled with recipes and news articles. My biggest flaw is not being able to separate myself from dangerous lows or mindsets. I envy Ns for their ability to separate from events, and SJ for their persistence in "right principles"...I think SP are most easily slid around by emotions, events, or art.

Se to me is the ability to act upon my environment, collect details and my need to impact others.

Se is definitely more than "look, a red baloon." Se users are not retarded people nor animals. Se is a higher cognitive function and an attitude. Kersey and Socionics both describe this as a need to impact others, be with the times, use creative speech and use the physical body to do so...with fashion, art, dance, etc. ..but Jung described the Se type as having their own morality of living fully in the now and generously sharing the physical with others: people who find it a sin to waste life, to waste blessings.

Yes that's me.

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
My closest childhood friends were Se types as I've got older I find their ability to act on their immediate environment worthy of great admiration.

Generalist

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I have read here and other places that Se users know the limits of things or just how far they can push things? For the Se users, what exactly does this mean for you? Thanks again;)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've taken many risks, been called brave for a woman, and been told countless times I needed to learn "the hard way." It really makes me sad though SP is associated with stupid, when anyone can be stupid due to upbringing (honestly I think SJs are most entirely warped by upbringing or subject to brain washing because of sensing and conformity)...I also think Ns can be stupid due to naive tendencies or living in a pseudo-reality or theoretical realm.

I'm kind of thinking one or two of the baristas in my coffee shop might be N's, because they come across as really stupid and forgetful and generally inept in a lot of the job functions, and unable to adapt on the fly or remember things. At first I found it frustrating, and yeah, they just didn't seem very bright at all, but then I got to thinking they are quite possibly N's, and are just in an environment that doesn't suit their abilities or personality much at all. (ofc they could just be very slow anyway, doesn't matter their type)

..but Jung described the Se type as having their own morality of living fully in the now and generously sharing the physical with others: people who find it a sin to waste life, to waste blessings.

I can relate to this. Life is NOW.

á´…eparted

passages
Se is my tertiary, but once I got into my 20's I started to make sense of it more, and feel I am fairly decent at using it.

Se, as others said, is the NOW. It doesn't require planning, it doesn't require much forethought. It's sort of like muscle memory, you just know how to do it. It's not like Ni where it has this tacit sense of knowing and feels out long term. Se doesn't care about that shit. It sees what's in front of it, interprets it for what it is. My best personal examples of Se working at it's best is when I am playing games. In particular various forms of tag (I'm 27 years old and I still play tag, cause it's AWESOME! :laugh:). I'm scanning my environment, looking for where to run, where to chase, where to hide. I'm not thinking about it though, I'm simply looking. When something occurs that requires an action, I do it based off what I've seen, but I'm not thinking about it, I just do if something turns out to not be working? I adapt, I change, I pivot to find a better route, and in the end, things work out. Se doesn't really care about making mistakes and errors, because finding mistakes is how it tests the world, it's how it learns.

Se also comes up in many social settings, and if I am in an argument with someone. I will address things as is, and pivot in the moment. Fe leads of course and feeds me the rule book, and Ni reminds me of where the long term path is going, but it's Se that does a lot of the heavy lifting. There sort of this feeling of fearlessness of "what can the do to me? If they throw a road block, I'll just adapt around it".

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I love my Se. It is my rest position. I relate a lot to Poki's driving, because that is how I roll. It relaxes me.

I love experiencing things. I love backpacking. I love sex. I love action oriented things. I worked a number of physical summer jobs in college and loved them (unloading trucks, construction, foundry, etc). Music, dancing, etc are awesome.

I absolutely love getting into the moment at a sporting event with a large crowd. The energy and feeling are just electric (though that might be some Fe added in).

I sense things around me.

I can react at extreme speeds as needed.

I can throw my presence around, but even if I don't, I have a presence in the environment and I am a force there.

Se is the way my wife and I communicate the best......

Permabanned

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For me it's a way of perceiving the world and gaining new information. I tend to take my surroundings in at face-value. Things are what they are. I'm an experiential learner, and I learn best from engaging in the world directly.

That doesn't mean that I am always present, though. I am quite clumsy, and I don't have good spatial awareness. Sometimes I zone out during conversations. And I'm too sleepy a lot of the time to fully engage in whatever is going on. I guess I pick and choose, in a way. I likely have an introverted function first, so it makes sense that I'm often in my head.

My favorite activities are those that I can actually engage in, and be involved in at the present moment. Risks can exhilarate me, but they're not something I regularly seek. I'm still quite withdrawn so a lot of shit is outside of my comfort zone. However, I can be rather reckless and rash in my decision-making. And yes, I have hurt myself out of curiosity. Not a cool burn, though. I was trying to jump over something I apparently could not jump over and hit myself on the metal bar. Left me a scar.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Are you extremely present?
Unless I'm dissaociated in a fugue state.

How about risk taking, following impulses, do you feel a need on some level to engage the tangible world directly in some form?
I dont like reckless risk without absolute necessity. Impulses are fleeting, crippling injuries(physical, social, and mental) can last a lifetime. Feel a need? That's irrelevant. I exist in the tangible world directly. I have no choice. None of us do technically...

What has been your general experience?
Life FWIW for good or ill. It's been a hell of an experience. :mellow:

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Can I talk about my lack of extroverted sensing?

Questionable reaction time. Easily overwhelmed by crowds. Hiding in the toilet to avoid said crowds. Lack of basic hand eye coordination. Can't communicate to save their life.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I definately know when I am using Se, and its exhausting. It is similar to doing drugs, then crashing hard. I grew up in an enviroment where it was essential for survival (mostly reflexes), so I feel that my Se is slightly more developed/used that other intuitives. I somehow trained my body to react, before my thoughts do, for an example.

I definately do not have a desire for tactile stimulation, but I do feel an impulse to see beauty, especially nature. Being an E4 and having Tert Si allows me to appreciate aesthetics very acutely.

I can also turn out sensory input, to the point I can ignore some crazy things. My parents thought I was deaf, due to my selective hearing. I can become so disassociated, that it can cause issues.

Opal Star

Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would say that I am at odds with my Se, in a similar way that I am at odds with my Fi.

There are many Se activities that I like to do. These activities include exercising, cooking, and trying new foods. I also love rollercoasters and other exhilarating fair rides. I am able to stay present and I am quite realistic. That being said, I ignore and/or express disdain for Se sometimes. I often listen to music and I daydream. Due to this, I can sometimes bump into things and I frequently ignore when someone is talking to me.

I would say that Se is the worst function when it is used unhealthily. Unhealthy Ti dom/aux types can still be acquiring knowledge. Unhealthy Fi doms (unless they are in a Te grip) still abide by their values, which is admirable. Unhealthy xxTJs still can get things done and get others to do things. Unhealthy Fe is still useful in social situations, even if it is used negatively. Unhealthy Ni/Ne users can still be quite creative and/or visionary. Unhealthy Si users might follow the rules, which is always good, unless if the rule is unfair/unethical. But unhealthy Se? Unhealthy Se is gluttonous, impulsive, and there is no regard for future consequences.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have zero.

i like to fuck. I also like the feeling of moving through the water while swimming. Live music can be exhilarating.

that’s about it. I have trouble existing in/focusing on the moment