• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Extraverted Sensing, your experience.

Masokissed

Spoiled Brat 🍒
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hone in on something I want, I get it, and I get a rush from it. Not that I do it all the time but it's definitely my main motivator. I notice what's loudest (not just noise) in my environment and I love an environment full of action, ex. today I was shopping with my mom and commented how boring it was there because of there being much less people.

My mind itself is pretty soupy. I can feel what's going on more than I know what's actually in there, like it might get hotter or colder or change colors but I don't really think much consciously a lot of the time. It's not until I dig in on purpose that I see what letters are in there. My mind is most active when I'm excited by my environment. It's least active if I'm in a dull one. If it's super dull I'll want to escape it and it almost feels like time starts crushing me. The Internet is something else and I wanna say that it brings out my intuition a lot more.

I'm addicted to sound. I hate total silence. Music is totally powerful to me and I care about the sound of it over the lyrics way more. I love aesthetics and I like wearing outlandish things or things with symbolism but I don't give a shit about its meaning. And I feel best if I can get sucked into a moment, if there's chaos, or if I leap to do something.

I like theories a lot but if its way too out there I get bored; I have to see the real-life connection. Typology stuff is great but some of the the most detailed Socionics theories overload me and then I'm like "typology is bullshit" and need to get back to Earth. I'm sometimes fearless where non-Se users aren't.

/under the working assumption I'm not actually Ne-dom lol

I think if I never went through a few years of depression I would be more stereotypically ESFP. And I was, before that.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
For a long time, I also thought that everyone else was perceiving the world with high-access to extroverted sensing.

It is the way others here have described, a heightened awareness of everything around you, taken in with the 5 senses.

But it does interact with Ni much more than I think many people are aware of.

I often comment on the way things smell. Or sound, taste, etc. I take it in very clearly, without too much connection to what is absent, or some great leap of what it could become or used for.

I notice extremely subtle nuances to it all. Like, when my grandma knits me blankets, I know the loss of fuzziness after 1 wash, versus 3 or 10. As gross as it is, when someone has poor hygiene, I can tell by scent if its a newer
'Oh I was out of deodorant today, worked out at the gym and now smelling a little gamey' verus
'My boyfriend broke up with me and I haven't showered for 3 days, because I've been lying in bed crying.'
I know what kind of knife my partner is using to cut an apple in the next room, by the sound it makes as it chops through
I can tell the difference in my daughters skin-shade, from when she takes her vitamin d supplements daily or misses a week
The perfect heat and skillet to saute garlic in, and the exact moment it hits its aromatic peak

When I go out to eat, I can very quickly taste if my food was cooked in dirty grease.
And I know the difference between food cooked in good grease, from some kind of fresh meat
that was just previously made - for flavor
or icky-grease that was sitting on a grill that didn't get cleaned properly the night before.

Se is like, the master of interacting with and manipulating physical materials.

It is because we are acutely aware of things like, what the paint will look like when it is wet or a little dryer.
The exact pressure needed to sand a piece of furniture for it to appear more rustic, or the perfect smoothness for a total paint.

In art, I like to see a lot of movement. The way water moves down a stream, tiny air bubbles trapped in melting ice, the way light reflects off wet rocks at different times. There is no conceptual jump, the object remains the same, but that object is still looked at from multiple perspectives. A field behind my house in August, when the leaves and bushes are vibrating with full energy, taut with various shades of green, versus that same field in September when they give one last hoorah and turn gold/orange/red, and then November, as they thin out and everything becomes frozen, barren and still.

Reading people, I pick up something almost micro-movement-esque.
The muscles around the mouth when someone tries to hide a smile, or suppress a frown/grimace. Body language, feet pointing towards people or away, stiffness and relaxation, voice pitch and tone, nervous ticks/twitches/eye-contact and attention to something, for what length, even forced attempts to not look at something that there is interest in.

I know this will sound shitty and judgmental, but it is not my intent. When N's talk about how boring, or simple sensing is.. I almost think that its like setting up some old, vintage TV from the 60's next to an Ultra HD 4K. And, if they could just have this kind of heightened sensory perception, they would realize that there is nothing boring or simple about it.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
For a long time, I also thought that everyone else was perceiving the world with high-access to extroverted sensing.

It is the way others here have described, a heightened awareness of everything around you, taken in with the 5 senses.

I often comment on the way things smell. Or sound, taste, etc. I take it in very clearly, without too much connection to what is absent, or some great leap of what it could become or used for.

I notice extremely subtle nuances to it all. Like, when my grandma knits me blankets, I know the loss of fuzziness after 1 wash, versus 3 or 10. As gross as it is, when someone has poor hygiene, I can tell by scent if its a newer
'Oh I was out of deodorant today, worked out at the gym and now smelling a little gamey' verus
'My boyfriend broke up with me and I haven't showered for 3 days, because I've been lying in bed crying.'
I know what kind of knife my partner is using to cut an apple in the next room, by the sound it makes as it chops through
I can tell the difference in my daughters skin-shade, from when she takes her vitamin d supplements daily or misses a week
The perfect heat and skillet to saute garlic in, and the exact moment it hits its aromatic peak

When I go out to eat, I can very quickly taste if my food was cooked in dirty grease.
And I know the difference between food cooked in good grease, from some kind of fresh meat
or icky-grease that was sitting on a grill that didn't get cleaned properly the night before.

It is because we are acutely aware of things like, what the paint will look like when it is wet or a little dryer.
The exact pressure needed to sand a piece of furniture for it to appear more rustic, or the perfect smoothness for a total paint.

In art, I like to see a lot of movement. The way water moves down a stream, tiny air bubbles trapped in melting ice, the way light reflects off wet rocks at different times. There is no conceptual jump, the object remains the same, but that object is still looked at from multiple perspectives. A field behind my house in August, when the leaves and bushes are vibrating with full energy, taut with various shades of green, versus that same field in September when they give one last hoorah and turn gold/orange/red, and then November, as they thin out and everything becomes frozen, barren and still.

The muscles around the mouth when someone tries to hide a smile, or suppress a frown/grimace. Body language, feet pointing towards people or away, stiffness and relaxation, voice pitch and tone, nervous ticks/twitches/eye-contact and attention to something, for what length, even forced attempts to not look at something that there is interest in.

I know this will sound shitty and judgmental, but it is not my intent. When N's talk about how boring, or simple sensing is.. I almost think that its like setting up some old, vintage TV from the 60's next to an Ultra HD 4K. And, if they could just have this kind of heightened sensory perception, they would realize that there is nothing boring or simple about it.

Wow, that almost sounds like it'd be too overwhelming for me. I feel the closest I can get to experiencing Se, and also, unadulterated Ne for that matter, is when I get into a completely new environment and experience everything without all the previous knowledge and impressions of it that Si will build up over time. My Ne goes unfiltered, which can be mentally overwhelming on its own, but then the added overload of using my senses to relate to the environment, boy, I can feel uneasy and out of my element VERY quickly.

I have the utmost respect for Se users since there really IS so much to be gained from life and experiencing things as they actually are. For me though, I can only take so much of it until I tire out and need to retreat to something more familiar.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I rarely have the flow feeling, but amongst other things, it feels more immediate, and somewhat Se.

Se things form a larger part of my life than Si anyways. And I appreciate it more. Se = Just do it.

I'm surprised that I dont get into troubles by acting se. At least when I'm in the flow. I skip so much thinking (well, all of it) and things still go well. Maybe I'm usually too inhibited to act, and the flow experience is just having these restrictions go away?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Se can be many things in my version of it: collecting of empirical data for my arguments, repainting walls in my place, going for a 3 hour walk just too resease some steam, gardening just for fun, beating a friend 50:0 in a video game, good cooking skills, partying so hard that you come home in 7AM, giving someone a hand, mountain climbing and similar adventures, pushing against the flow ...

MBTI Type
*NF*
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I was younger I used to be very provocative, make the world react to test it.
I did not know myself very well...

Today I don't follow my impulse. We'll see tomorrow :alttongue:Fi makes of me a very hard to please individual.
If Se (what my senses tell me+what I like to discover in the outside world) + Fi (my values) get in harmony there is
no doubt I can act and be self-confident.

I used to tell people directly what I think about them and got angry a lot when they frustrated me.
Today it is different, if it does not match what I consider to be important to me, I ignore people (if I don't know them) who act nonsense.
I'll give advise to my loved ones without being angry/
If they have no values, that is not my problem, I don't have to get angry and throw away my dear positive energy and idealism.

I'd say Se and Fi walk together for the best. I'm still a sensation seeker but also a feeling and thoughts seeker.
I can easily talk to strangers with my enthusiast personality, but I get bored very easily with people (unless they are my best friends).
I don't know if that is my Se stuff, I find people to be quite negative generally speaking (or generally spanking :devil:).
I have a good ability and curiosity.

I live into an adult body with a child heart. Se makes you see the adult side and protects me.
Fi is my precious side that Se ....hides (from the outside eye) :ninja:

Last thing : Se got me into many excess : pleasures of all kind, sex... Until I got fed up and my body was talking to me.
When you don't want to see things, your body will always send you some obvious signs...

Like any function I think it is positive when you understand where your excess are from (your past, your temper)
and when you understand how to balance it (whether by developing your second function or by exercises that "put it in the right place").

Silent

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
I am consciously aware of the affects of environment around me and can create the right mood as a result. I know what colors are going to create what mood and how to soothe with various items and colors for decorating. I guess that is using Se.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I jumped into a cold river from a canoe when I was a kid to see how cold it really was.

Sounds like more of a Ti-glitch. Maybe you're less like Spock and more like Data and need to find nerdy dude with a chrome visor to fix your wiring. ;)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sounds like more of a Ti-glitch. Maybe you're less like Spock and more like Data and need to find nerdy dude with a chrome visor to fix your wiring. ;)

If I had to characterize my life experience based solely on Star Trek characters, then yes, Data would be more accurate than Spock.

Sadly, I had no Geordi to keep me in check or fix my positronic brain. I still get the "thank you, I get the point" with frequency from my wife.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
[MENTION=19700]Anaximander[/MENTION], ok does your username mean Android Salamander?

I don't know of any TNG characters that relate to ENTP unfortunately. :(

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I guess and hopefully i can convey what i'm trying to say is i take in my surroundings i'm not big on the details but i'm defiently in the moment like a song or food i notice how it sounds or tastes and i can tell if sounds or the texture is off but i can't always pinpoint why.which is why if i listen to the recorded version of a song first, i can't stand the live version because it sounds off,and vice a versa. My issue is i can't pay attention to multiple things at once if there's a lot going on i either hyper focus on one thing or get so overwhelmed that i can't focus on any of it. for me it's being with the thing and i guess yeah noticing the details in a sense but it's not like this detail is that, it's more all the details coming together to make something beautiful.

hopefully this makes sense.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

This is some professional Se right here.....

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I guess and hopefully i can convey what i'm trying to say is i take in my surroundings i'm not big on the details but i'm defiently in the moment like a song or food i notice how it sounds or tastes and i can tell if sounds or the texture is off but i can't always pinpoint why.which is why if i listen to the recorded version of a song first, i can't stand the live version because it sounds off,and vice a versa. My issue is i can't pay attention to multiple things at once if there's a lot going on i either hyper focus on one thing or get so overwhelmed that i can't focus on any of it. for me it's being with the thing and i guess yeah noticing the details in a sense but it's not like this detail is that, it's more all the details coming together to make something beautiful.

hopefully this makes sense.

Sounds like the experience of sensation through the eyes of a person with favored intuition.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
possibly.which one iyo

:shrug: NP? Sounds like they would struggle with the details that a Se user would be better at processing and remembering. Then, like you said, it would be more about the details coming together to make something.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Its being constantly aware of our surroundings. Not so much taking it all in, enjoying it, relishing it, because at that point you stopped taking in and you just froze Se in the moment.

Lets take a Jet Ski, man I miss my jet ski, I need another one. Anyway, when riding a jet ski I am at a constant state of awareness of every aspect of riding it. How the waves make it move, how the weight of it feels, how everything interacts and adjusts. My eyes are always on my surroundings, my body feels the movement, just a constant awareness which allows me crazy control of it. When it starts to tip sideways, pull the trigger slightly, shift its position and your out. Its not instinct, its constant awareness tied with the experience of constant awareness. People usually stop and watch me when I do things because of the smoothness of which I do it. That's a mixture of the Ni experience introverted along with the experience combined with being aware in the moment of everything. All processed with Ti judgement on the fly balancing the 2. All of that goes out of the mind as fast as it enters.

For example driving 100+ down the highway becomes a dance with the cars. Se sees what they are doing constantly, Ni puts together whats gonna happen, not just a single thing, but a bunch of different things and Ti processes it all and I come up with a plan of action all real time in the moment. I don't create any sort of hard set plan of "I am gonna do this exact thing. Its more of a I want to go that direction, GO.

Went to see John Wick and my GF said that is who I am. If I had the experience in life he had, that's exactly what I would be like. The smoothness, the response times, everything.

I have had someone ask me before when I worked as a technician at texas instruments if I was a black belt in martial arts. I said yes and asked how he knew. He said just the fluidity and precision of your movements look like a martial artist.

I do this with everything, its how I live my life pretty much day in and day out.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Its being constantly aware of our surroundings. Not so much taking it all in, enjoying it, relishing it, because at that point you stopped taking in and you just froze Se in the moment.

You nailed it. When I posted this, I felt like it was a bit off. I think I was just trying to break it down further, in an effort to explain the experience, but I didn't realize that in doing so I was losing the most relevant mechanism, the awareness of how all things come together, and adjusting oneself to it.

For example driving 100+ down the highway becomes a dance with the cars. Se sees what they are doing constantly, Ni puts together whats gonna happen, not just a single thing, but a bunch of different things

Right. I experience this as well (minus the Ti, I'm not really sure how I develop my 'plan of action' it all just feels like se impulse of moving and adjusting amongst the other vehicles, with some low-level Te in the backdrop, acknowledging times/speed and distance points. I was always the friend that drove the group, when we were in a jam and had to get somewhere very fast. In my early 20's, I was told often that my driving was 'scary'. But no (at my fault) accidents, ever. One of my best ESTJ friends once explained (to me and a few of my other friends) that she was initially scared to drive with me too, but later realize that I was holding on to a constant awareness of where everything was around me (speeds/location/lanes) with a very quick perceptual awareness, that would easily be missed by people driving with me.

Another example, when I did a few waitressing jobs back in the day, was being able to move quickly and smoothly amongst other people, in busy kitchens with hot grills and food flying. It was still a sensory overload for me, but it seemed like I could navigate it with a bit more ease and awareness than quite a few of my co-workers, who were slower and physically awkward, carrying out plates to tables, etc.

So, here is a question for you, or any other se user who might relate...

We take in the real-time data, move what its doing forward with ni and get a future impression. But I will also take in real-time data, with an understanding of how certain components came together (the state that they would have to be, to have come together the exact way they did to create this 'thang' (whatever it might be, let's stick with an object rather than a concept for now) so its the same process, but it moves both forward and backwards. However, it is different from si, because this knowledge of how it came together, isn't based off a previous experience or historical impression. It could be an entirely new object, but your looking at in real-time and just understanding, through multiple variables or function, how it came together. You relate? Anything to say on that?

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't pay a lot of attention to surroundings like everyone else in this thread. I just have to express myself physically. :shrug:

I can't remember the layout of a grocery store. I'll forget where my glasses are when they're on my face. I'll lose my insurance card inside my apartment and never find it again.

This isn't really related, but it's a good story. One time I dropped a soy "chicken" nugget off my plate and onto the carpet. I looked everywhere for it but couldn't find it. A year later I came across it when I was cleaning under the couch, and it looked good as new!