• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Self perception theory

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Self-perception theory (SPT) is an account of attitude formation developed by psychologist Daryl Bem.[1][2] It asserts that people develop their attitudes (when there is no previous attitude due to a lack of experience, etc.—and the emotional response is ambiguous) by observing their own behavior and concluding what attitudes must have caused it. The theory is counterintuitive in nature, as the conventional wisdom is that attitudes determine behaviors. Furthermore, the theory suggests that people induce attitudes without accessing internal cognition and mood states.[3] The person interprets their own overt behaviors rationally in the same way they attempt to explain others’ behaviors.

Came across this after reading something on wolverine which is kinda comical. It was mentioning how someone who doesn't know their past will try to infer who they really are by using external observation skills and piece together this based on finding meaning instead of looking at who they are. Being that wolverine is ISTP I don't really see him doing that. More of a this is who I am irregardless and flashbacks would define who I was. I would not try to patch any holes with assumptions of any kind based on external observations.

Anyway, this got me to thinking because I argue(not heated, disagree) quite a bit because she does his to understand herself and it's really hit or miss on the accuracy. It completely removes the actual reason. It would be like saying my son like boy scouts because of what boy scouts is known for. No, he likes the social aspect of it. The "what it's known for" is a side affect that helps for the good. Stuff like that which really confuses things. I know someone who goes out and parties until they are in a relationship and then they are stable. The party isn't because it's who they are, it's to fill in a hole that's missing. How can you tell, because they don't search for the party, it's a symptom. They search for the relationship.

Ideas and thoughts about whether or not you do this with your own view of yourself?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If I woke up tomorrow with no memories I'd be curious about what kind of person I was, but wouldn't try to force myself into that role (again). I'd want to learn about it but I'd just continue to be whoever the new "me" was at the end of the day. Who knows if that person would be the same or not. Probably not.