• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Highly Sensitive People

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Is HSP correlated to sensory defensiveness? Or are they completely different?

makes perfect sense for sensory defensiveness. On the outside I am tough as hell. But when it comes to physical things, I barely can hold a hot cup of coffee for longer than a second.

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't think you're an HSP if you just have emotional sensitivity or just physical sensitivity...don't you need both to be an HSP?

I think it's more easily identified if a person has elements of both. But, I would guess that if an individual has a fair amount of physical sensitivity, then it can tend to make them emotionally sensitive as well, because their bodies are responding constantly to sensory stimuli and can overload easily.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Does being a highly sensitive person have something in common with mbti type? what do you know about hsp and do you know any (famous) hsp and do you consider yourself being a highly sensitive person?

I have no idea what a highly sensitive person is, other than just being oversensitive.

I think I'm oversensitive in some ways... particularly to sudden changes that I don't choose, and to being disliked. I'm also rather aware of other people's emotional states to some degree, but I'd call this average awareness.

But probably not quite as sensitive as other people to many other things.

I think IFPs are the most highly sensitive if you want to associate it with MBTI type. They can dwell on an emotion and exaggerate it to a ridiculous degree, IMO.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
makes perfect sense for sensory defensiveness. On the outside I am tough as hell. But when it comes to physical things, I barely can hold a hot cup of coffee for longer than a second.

That's not sensory defensiveness. That's low pain threshold.

Sensory defensiveness is more vomiting at the touch of nylon.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm sensitive. I don't think there's a strong type correlation. If anything, I'd think I, then F, but I don't think it's significant.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Concerning Sensivitiness, I made a great mistake just now.

There is a whole bunch of lamenting people in a chat I am in right now. they hear pretty awful ultra romantic songs and I wanted to bring some fire into the round.

Oh gosh one of the people there just lost her husband + kid in a car crash.

I am such a damn idiot -.-

redacted

i didn't know what HSP meant until i just looked it up. kind of deserves some sort of explanation on the thread...

and i'm totally NOT an HSP, although i'm emotionally sensitive :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Guess I will never be able to make myself around any sort of sensitiveness :D

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My whole family (me, my INTP husband, and our four kids {INTJ, INFP, EXTX, and IXTP}) all appear to have HSP traits, but we also have autism in the family and autism frequently has sensory symptoms. Most people notice that our house is a pretty quiet place.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I get very distressed when put on the spot; one of the reasons I left Sixth Form was due to the small classroom sizes. I've always had a strong physiological response. I keep my eyes shut if a band has a light show, I shut several doors when someone is using a glass chopping board.

I think the amount of sleep I've had has a huge effect on all this.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I would say I'm an HSP. I get easily overwhelmed by noise and crowds. I mute the tv when commercials come on, because the excess noise just grates on my nerves, and I can't tune them out. I'm pretty sensitive to the moods of others, as well.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
are we talking 'oh my gosh, that's so loud!' sensitive or 'my life is ruined' sensitive?

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
are we talking 'oh my gosh, that's so loud!' sensitive or 'my life is ruined' sensitive?

We're talking "Ow, that hurts my ears, please stop" sensitive as well as "omgtoomuchhappeningatonceIneedtocurlupinaballsomewheremakeitstopplz" sensitive.

I'm sure there are other phrases that work as well.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
We're talking "Ow, that hurts my ears, please stop" sensitive as well as "omgtoomuchhappeningatonceIneedtocurlupinaballsomewheremakeitstopplz" sensitive.

Kind of like, HOLYCRAPWOULDSOMEONEPLEASETURNTHATOFFBEFOREISHOVEFORKSINMYEARS???!?!?! sensitive.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3

those are some very different things there. is it really a good idea to group them into one thing?

Kaizer

sophiloist
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not sure about HSP, but if sensitivity doesn't decrease and also if someone's skin doesn't get thicker, then the perception of others can get a person categorized as an HSP... no?.

I say this cause with an increase in awareness if sensitivity doesn't decrease & is accompanied by a lack of thickening of the skin, then the ability to sense and experience emotions resulting from events/observations/experiences should naturally only get heightened.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I wouldn't call myself a HSP. I can handle quite a bit, but my eyes have always been sensitive to light. Sometimes I have to wear sunglasses to drive even when it's overcast.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
It isn't shyness and it isn't vomiting at the touch of nylon. For me it's too much noise (or too loud), bright lights and a lot of activity. Superstores are very overwhelming. It's not a phobia, it's sensory overload leading to fatigue, edginess and not feeling "right." And that can lead to emotional upset.

Like Cafe's, our house is pretty quiet. My husband and kids listen to loud music and movies behind closed doors or with headphones. A strong bass makes me unsettled.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
It isn't shyness and it isn't vomiting at the touch of nylon. For me it's too much noise (or too loud), bright lights and a lot of activity. Superstores are very overwhelming. It's not a phobia, it's sensory overload leading to fatigue, edginess and not feeling "right." And that can lead to emotional upset.

Like Cafe's, our house is pretty quiet. My husband and kids listen to loud music and movies behind closed doors or with headphones. A strong bass makes me unsettled.

Yeah, it's funny, I actually quite like loud music if it's something I've chosen. If it's not my taste or I'm trying to do something else, it affects me very negatively. And I can't tune music out at ALL. It was my downfall when I worked in retail--I couldn't tune out the Muzak. :D

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
How could you guys interpret "highly sensitive people" as physically hypersensitive? Why the hell would anyone care about your tolerance for loud noises? I thought Lady Jaye was just being clever with her comment, but you guys have taken it seriously. Stay in the box, people!!! (That last sentence makes me an ENFP failure.)

EDIT: Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I wiki'd it. Please disregard that last statement.

It seems to fit nicely with the physiological definition of introversion (having an overstimulated nervous system... which is a vague concept, but I don't feel like tackling that one just yet).

Musical taste is a nice indicator of sensitivity that combines both physical and emotional aspects. I can say for sure that my INFJ mother is extremely sensitive to emotional intensity and volume to a some extent (she describes Shostakovich's music as punishment). My ENTP dad, on the other hand, just head bangs with it (as do I). On the other hand, my INFP bff loves Shostie and the rest of my crazy intense music. Judging from this grossly inadequate sample size, I think it might be a matter of how one internalizes the input. An IJ may just be better at it (perhaps it's a default process since their perceiving function is introverted), whereas a P may be more inclined to just let the external stimuli pass into one ear and out the other. The introversion itself may just make I's more inclined to internalize it in the first place (as opposed to EJs). But I'm just brainstorming, so none of this is solid.