User Tag List

12 Last

A wannabe dog

Default Do you prefer passion or stability?

When it comes to things like career and relationships, are you the sort who goes after passion, or are you the sort who goes after stability?

Which do you think is more important in life? Passion or stability? I'm interested in hearing everyone's opinions about this topic.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Passion. Reason being is if I have stability without passion, I will quickly destabalize. The two are essentially mutually exclusive for me.
    Likes Destiny, Ene liked this post

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    SEI Fe

I would pick stability, since I haven't actually found myself to be all that passionate about anything. Then at least I'll feel secure.
    Likes Destiny, /DG/ liked this post

Stability by far, there actually is a lot of science on this, I used to have a lot more access to research material when I had access to my college library, but those who have less extreme highs and lows generally report a higher level of happiness than those who fluctuate more.

https://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/fe...o-a0030262.pdf

Fluctuations in Happiness May Predict Psychological Distress

There is a business quote I like as well, which while is pertaining to business has parallels to this topic as well

“A company shouldn’t get addicted to being shiny, because shiny doesn’t last.” Jeff Bezos
    Likes Destiny liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I use to think you had to choose one or the other. I can provide stability and I want the same from others. I won't be in a relationship with an unstable person or stay in unstable situations. Then I realized that it doesn't have to be one or the other. You can have both. You can have passion in a relationship or a job or hobby or whatever it is, without giving up stability. I'm even fine with some instability here and there, it keeps things interesting. It just can't come in my house or drive my car.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Ene, Destiny, HongDou liked this post

The word passion is now a cliché that has been in too many mouths.

The word passion is no longer passionate, but is banal, humdrum, a debased currency.

And the worst are full of passionate intensity, while the best lack all conviction.

- Yeats.
    Likes Galena liked this post

Passion, definitely. I have a very fiery personality and I thrive in stressful, changing environments, but give me stability and I sink into apathy and lose all my motivation.
    Likes Destiny liked this post

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The word passion is now a cliché that has been in too many mouths.

The word passion is no longer passionate, but is banal, humdrum, a debased currency.

And the worst are full of passionate intensity, while the best lack all conviction.

- Yeats.
    Of course this is cliche to you. Go take your haughty nonsense elsewhere. You're not adding a lick of value here by saying this.

MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    9w8

As @ceeceesays, both.
    A student said to his master: "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?" The master replied: "It is better to be a warrior in a garden than to be a gardener in a war." - unknown/Chinese

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=61024&page=14

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

With regard to relationships: For me, the two are intrinsically linked. Without stability, any passion I felt would quickly give way to self-doubt and fear of abandonment. But I also couldn't bear the idea of being in a stable relationship that has no passion.