• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you prefer passion or stability?

Destiny

A wannabe dog
When it comes to things like career and relationships, are you the sort who goes after passion, or are you the sort who goes after stability?

Which do you think is more important in life? Passion or stability? I'm interested in hearing everyone's opinions about this topic. :D

á´…eparted

passages
Passion. Reason being is if I have stability without passion, I will quickly destabalize. The two are essentially mutually exclusive for me.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would pick stability, since I haven't actually found myself to be all that passionate about anything. Then at least I'll feel secure.

Slate

Stability by far, there actually is a lot of science on this, I used to have a lot more access to research material when I had access to my college library, but those who have less extreme highs and lows generally report a higher level of happiness than those who fluctuate more.

https://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/features/emo-a0030262.pdf

Fluctuations in Happiness May Predict Psychological Distress

There is a business quote I like as well, which while is pertaining to business has parallels to this topic as well

“A company shouldn’t get addicted to being shiny, because shiny doesn’t last.” Jeff Bezos

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I use to think you had to choose one or the other. I can provide stability and I want the same from others. I won't be in a relationship with an unstable person or stay in unstable situations. Then I realized that it doesn't have to be one or the other. You can have both. You can have passion in a relationship or a job or hobby or whatever it is, without giving up stability. I'm even fine with some instability here and there, it keeps things interesting. It just can't come in my house or drive my car.

Mole

Permabanned
The word passion is now a cliché that has been in too many mouths.

The word passion is no longer passionate, but is banal, humdrum, a debased currency.

And the worst are full of passionate intensity, while the best lack all conviction.

- Yeats.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
Passion, definitely. I have a very fiery personality and I thrive in stressful, changing environments, but give me stability and I sink into apathy and lose all my motivation.

á´…eparted

passages
The word passion is now a cliché that has been in too many mouths.

The word passion is no longer passionate, but is banal, humdrum, a debased currency.

And the worst are full of passionate intensity, while the best lack all conviction.

- Yeats.

Of course this is cliche to you. Go take your haughty nonsense elsewhere. You're not adding a lick of value here by saying this.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
As [MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION]says, both.

blueskybeth

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
With regard to relationships: For me, the two are intrinsically linked. Without stability, any passion I felt would quickly give way to self-doubt and fear of abandonment. But I also couldn't bear the idea of being in a stable relationship that has no passion.

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I found as I've gotten older stability comes more into the limelight. I would be creative and try to have both but I put more weight on stability.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Passion = code for; spazz, drama queen/king, histrionic, someone who spends just as much time cleaning up the emotional disasters they leave behind them (the ones that care) as they do creating them.

Stability any day of the week and x2 on Sundays :D

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Depends on what you mean by passion and stability.

I want passion in that I want a partner who has a lot of love for me and concern for our relationship. I want somebody who loves deeply and doesn't mind breaking a few rules. I want somebody who will wake me up at midnight and tell me that we're going on a road trip. Somebody who sees the bright beauty in life. Somebody who doesn't care about money or possessions. Somebody who can sweep me off my feet and carry me across an ocean. Somebody whom I can confide in and share my ideas with. If that's passion, then yes--I thrive on it. I could never be in a relationship where it's just staying at home or working a 9 to 5, getting sick of life and becoming like cardboard.

However, I want stability. Emotional stability. Somebody who will be there for me to come home to. Somebody I know will be faithful to me. Somebody who trusts me, and somebody I can trust. Somebody with a good level of emotional health. No cheating, manipulation, abuse, erratic loyalties, codependency, etc. You get the picture. I'll never stay with someone at my own expense just for the "passion" in the relationship.

In short, I want a unique balance of both.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i tend to be my most consistent when i am my most passionate.

evilrubberduckie

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Passion. Because me choosong stability has been undenyingly the worst mistake of my life. Im unhappy. I was much happier and better off practically homeless on the streets of LA perusing random passions then I am under my parents roof.

I would go back. But i have responsibilities now that require me to maintain stability for at least until i pay off my personal debts.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think they are separate. If you have to choose I would say you are prematurely amputating a limb that may never atrophy.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I would pick stability, since I haven't actually found myself to be all that passionate about anything. Then at least I'll feel secure.

Same. I'm just not a very passionate person to begin with. It takes a lot to get me excited about anything.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Passionately stable or rather stably passionate. :spindance::flame:

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
Career and relationships are two very different things. I want passion in my career, but stability in my relationship.