• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pain fantasies?

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Does anyone else dream about being hurt or endangered in some way? Pain fantasies. More specifically, pain and rescue fantasies. Dreaming about being rescued or saved.

I spend an inordinate amount of time imagining myself in painful situations and then being pitied. Every other free moment, I imagine that I've been killed by a car while crossing the road, and having my loved ones surround me and try to save me--or some other fantasy, always involving a small, specific group of people I'm close to.

Do you do similar things, or is it just me? :unsure:

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
...Yes. I am always the victim. And not just playing off of Socionics terms, I just happen to love victimizing myself to bring out the emotional sentiments others may have for me. I mean now this only occurs in my head :p but I actually played the part in middle school... and ended up being estranged from a group of Gammas. It was only because two people in that group were expressing seemingly negative opinions of me (at least that's how I viewed it at the time), and so to play victim I separated myself from the whole group for the rest of the year. lol.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It's happened a few times, but I don't think it happens super often. They are the dreams I tend to be able to recall/remember more easily, though, because they have a greater emotional impact on me. In those dreams that I can remember I usually don't meet any physical harm, but I'm in some sort of dangerous situation and someone (such as a "dream love interest") rescues me from it. There's two examples that come to mind when I try to think or some. A long one and a short one.

The long one (copied and pasted from a word document from the morning after I had the dream):

tl;dr - dream with dark eerie feel to it. Scary person attacks me and someone (one of my characters) rescues me.

And then here's the shorter one, also from a word document written the morning after the dream:

tl;dr - dream where I am surrounded by some sort of innocent aura in a dangerous world. Friend #1 is my lover. Friend #2 suspects friend #1 is going to hurt me and kills him to protect me.

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh and when it comes to dreams, whenever I am in a bad situation I am almost always left to die... no white (or Black or Asian Knight for that matter) to save me. =(

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Does anyone else dream about being hurt or endangered in some way? Pain fantasies. More specifically, pain and rescue fantasies. Dreaming about being rescued or saved.

I spend an inordinate amount of time imagining myself in painful situations and then being pitied. Every other free moment, I imagine that I've been killed by a car while crossing the road, and having my loved ones surround me and try to save me--or some other fantasy, always involving a small, specific group of people I'm close to.

Seriously???

ARE YOU ME WTF??????????

I do this far too often than what would probably be considered healthy. I love imagining scenarios where I am extremely sick/injured and then everyone fawns over me and/or I become a hero/martyr.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
and/or I become a hero/martyr.

^I have the hero dreams about as often as I have the victim dreams. I like them more. What's there not to like about being the compassionate general who cares just as much about the health and lives of the opposing side's soldiers as his own?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ha. I don't. Because of my male body and intimidating appearance.

Rambling

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Interestingly, I don't imagine along these lines. Do you think it says something about what you are seeking in real life, for example that you would get something out of being a centre of attention or that you feel yourself to be in need of attention?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Going by the replies, no it's not just you but in this scenario, I would, 100% of the time, never be the victim. It's unthinkable to me.

Sil

This is a test.
I can't even begin to imagine doing this. It crosses so many moral boundaries for me, first of which is choosing to be a victim. Even in fantasy.

Ugh. Nothing against people who dig this but the whole concept is repulsive.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
nope used to but then you learn no one cares enough to really help nor can they really and you end up more frustrated. i'm not talking actual physical pain btw, I would not want to be that sick if i am i need to find a friend to shoot me. and i've sorted mentioned this to [MENTION=22178]hel[/MENTION] not these exact words

though in middle and high school i tried cutting once or twice, just to see what it was about cuz i knew some people who did, it didn't do jack shit for me. I still felt like crap and my arm hurt. why did i think causing my self more pain was going to work? if i'm going to that in the future it be to cut off my head (i have no intention to cut off my head as of now, and not really sure how'd do it, and my place smells like plant shampoo, which is nice see that's what is good is good smells not worrying others sick, i seem more victimy on here but thats because it takes me a long time and to go very very very far down before i can say anything in real life, and i only share what i have to. and I'm a tiny bit neurotic at times

I'd also wouldn't want attention from physical pain, i'd rather make something awesome and get attention from that but as long as i can tell them to stop when i've had enough

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
OP, are you talking about dream dreams (night dreams?) or daydreams?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

After rereading the OP I believe both, or with more emphasis on waking fantasies/daydreams, although I had initially interpreted it as actual dreams

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can only really relate to this in terms of dreams I have at night as opposed to daydreams, and they don't provide the catharsis or reassuring elements that they appear to provide some of the people in this thread. I would consider dreams on this topic to be nightmares, I guess because they don't include the rescue part.

I occasionally daydream about scenarios where, instead of bad things happening to me and me being rescued, I'm very powerful, but I try not to do this too much because I don't want to confuse myself. :alttongue:

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

The savor in your dreams must be me then lol [emoji1][emoji1] I'm never a victim in my dreams..
My dreams are extremely busy and full of people in need of help, dreams which involve too many elevators and stairs and running and I woke up with heavy breath as if I was really running..

á´…eparted

passages
I can't even begin to imagine doing this. It crosses so many moral boundaries for me, first of which is choosing to be a victim. Even in fantasy.

Basically this.

I don't like pain in any form and am not going to indulge in it. Fantasy or not.

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
When I'm pissed off at my friends sometimes I'll play out in my head how devastated they would be if I killed myself or died suddenly.

I don't fantasize about being rescued often - I do sometimes toy with the idea of other loved ones dying though. Like if my parents got into a car accident. But I don't even consider how other people would react to my devastation, I just wonder what it'd be like to feel that kind of pain. My Nana passing away when I was 14 was as close as I got to that feeling. I couldn't hold myself together delivering her eulogy.

The only other time I've thought about my death in relation to loved ones is thinking about my last words. But not to my family members or close friends, I'm wondering about what if I was dying in front of my soulmate and I had to say goodbye, what I would say to him and what he would say to me. Honestly I think Grey's Anatomy augmented it. I think this is the stimulating one to play with because it's the most dramatic, and also because this guy doesn't even exist so who the guy is is entirely up to my brain. But at the same time I think the concept of last words are strangely happy, and filled with love.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I do sometimes toy with the idea of other loved ones dying though. Like if my parents got into a car accident. But I don't even consider how other people would react to my devastation, I just wonder what it'd be like to feel that kind of pain.

I've done this before too. Not too often though because it hurts too much and usually saps up quite a bit of energy. I always thought it was kind of messed up, but hey I'm not alone, so w/e then. Don't know why exactly I've done this or what triggered it to happen. It's obviously not like we want them to die.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Interestingly, I don't imagine along these lines. Do you think it says something about what you are seeking in real life, for example that you would get something out of being a centre of attention or that you feel yourself to be in need of attention?

Perhaps. I only imagine a certain group in these daydreams. It's not like it's the whole world surrounding me--that would make me uncomfortable; I don't want to be in the spotlight in that fashion. It's only a close-knit few people. Imagining anyone else unsettles me.

It may stem from real life desires to be cared for, but maybe it's also about drama. The daydreams serve as a springboard for writing inspiration and more complex fantasies. They're always dramatic and even slightly flamboyant (dire emergencies, or shaking with tears of emotional agony). It's inspiring. Also, it's portable entertainment, to be honest. I find it very convenient to not have to have anything in front of me to keep me entertained. I like being able to stare at a wall for hours. It makes school bearable.

Yeah...it does sound kinda messed up. It is messed up. But for me, it's a stress reliever. It keeps my emotions in check so I don't resort to martyr-like behavior IRL. You know?

Daydreams. I have had night dreams, but they're usually more about love than they are about pain, and they're rare.

This all makes me sound way more screwed up than I actually am.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This all makes me sound way more screwed up than I actually am.

I don't think this makes you sound screwed up. From what I can gather, I think this sort of thing has less to do with imagining or being satisfied by imagining being hurt and in pain and more to do with using that as a way to fulfill a need to be cared for/loved/noticed.