• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you sleep N's?

Members Only

MBTI Type
INFP
Do any other N's, have an innate ability to be completely UNable to sleep, while simultaneously being able to sleep for days on end?

I find it nearly impossible to shut my mind off to go to sleep, but when it is shut off, it is OFF. I then hate getting up again unless I have had a very lengthy sleep (At least 8 hours).

I've been thinking, could this possibly be an N trait? The S's in my life all seem able too:

1) Go to sleep faster.

2) Get up easier with less sleep. In fact, in general they appear to need less sleep than me to function effectively.

As N's (Especially IN's) live more in their heads compared with S's, does this in the long run, take a tole on how much we need to recharge with sleep?

EDIT: My INTP friend also suffers from this, which made me wonder about its causes. In MBTI terms anyhow.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
yes, all the N's I know have difficulty sleeping. Well, all bar two, but one of those does a very exhausting job (physically and mentally) and works very long hours, so that's probably why he sleeps easy. If I absolutely exhaust myself then I can sleep easily too, but it's very difficult to wear myself out enough because no matter how much I do, come 11pm I'm bright and bushy tailed again.

heart

heart on fire
Unisom (Doxylamine Succinate). It's also very good at suppressing overnight vertigo and I don't get sleep paralysis like I used to.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm going to sleep right now. Night! :D

Dude, yeah, I have periods of insomnia and periods where I sleep a lot (probably to recover?). Yeah which is why I need to go to bed now when I feel tired. :))) Night (for real now!!!)

Members Only

MBTI Type
INFP
Unisom. It's also very good at suppressing overnight vertigo and I don't get sleep paralysis like I used to.

I heard sleeping drugs do not produce 'good' sleep, that's what I heard anyway.

Generally I try to not take prescription drugs; maybe they are worth a try, hmmmm....

I'm going to sleep right now. Night! :D

Jealous. I have work tomorrow too.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I've been thinking, could this possibly be an N trait? The S's in my life all seem able too:

1) Go to sleep faster.

2) Get up easier with less sleep. In fact, in general they appear to need less sleep than me to function effectively.

Heh. Are they SJ's maybe? I have loads of trouble getting to sleep (and waking up), so does my little brother and my son (all SPs.)

It's just a different kind of restlessness I think. While you say you have trouble shutting off your mind, I have trouble shutting off my body.

My mom (INFJ) can go to sleep instantly, but she wakes up a lot throughout the night, whereas I'm awake until I pass out, but once I'm out, I'm dead until I'm yanked out of it by the cruel morning.

Members Only

MBTI Type
INFP
Heh. Are they SJ's maybe? I have loads of trouble getting to sleep (and waking up), so does my little brother and my son (all SPs.)

It's just a different kind of restlessness I think. While you say you have trouble shutting off your mind, I have trouble shutting off my body.

My mom (INFJ) can go to sleep instantly, but she wakes up a lot throughout the night, whereas I'm awake until I pass out, but once I'm out, I'm dead until I'm yanked out of it by the cruel morning.

Interesting. My parents are both J's, and they do have a 'normal' time to go to bed. In fact, one thing they often say to me is "Why do you not go to bed at a normal time". I think the J's are very much more organized in their sleeping habits than us P's.

The last sentence is also true: my mom and dad wake up throughout the night, where as when I'm out, I'm out, till my alarm goes off anyway - then I'm pissed if I haven't had enough sleep. I think this may have something to do with J's forcing themselves to go to sleep, even if they are not tired, just because it is the 'normal' time to go to sleep; P's will sleep when they are ready to sleep, and not just because it is the 'normal' time to sleep. Therefore J's will wake up, and P's will be stone cold out. P's however, may regret their actions the next day, when they are stumbling around their lives sleepy. :coffee:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I usually won't sleep for long periods of time. and when I do I go to bed really late and wake up really earlier. It's especially fun when the paranoia sets in and hearing things. then the closet gets mistaken for a giraffe. That's when I give in and take benedryl.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
These are some things that help me sleep:

1. Not having any electronics in my bedroom.
2. Having a comfortable bed with clean linens.
3. Having a clean, organised room.
4. Having exercised that day.
5. Having only consumed a moderate amount of caffeine.

heart

heart on fire
I heard sleeping drugs do not produce 'good' sleep, that's what I heard anyway.

Generally I try to not take prescription drugs; maybe they are worth a try, hmmmm....

Well, I had a lot of problems either feeling like I was spinning while trying to go to sleep or waking up with veritgo or having sleep interrupted with sleep paralysis and it helped me, but hey I am certainly not trying to advise anyone else about what to do, just saying what helped me. May the doxylamine succinate doesn't produce "good sleep", but it certainly produces a better sleep than what I was getting and the side effects are minimal which I can't say for the No-Goes the doctor put me on two years ago! :eek:

Members Only

MBTI Type
INFP
Well, I had a lot of problems either feeling like I was spinning while trying to go to sleep or waking up with veritgo or having sleep interrupted with sleep paralysis and it helped me, but hey I am certainly not trying to advise anyone else about what to do, just saying what helped me. May the doxylamine succinate doesn't produce good sleep, but it certainly produces a better sleep than what I was getting and the side effects are minimal which I can't say for the No-Goes the doctor put me on two years ago! :eek:

In that case, yes I can see how they would help. :)

These are some things that help me sleep:

1. Not having any electronics in my bedroom.
2. Having a comfortable bed with clean linens.
3. Having a clean, organised room.
4. Having exercised that day.
5. Having only consumed a moderate amount of caffeine.

Thanks. I try to do most of those, caffeine kicks my ass though. I like to drink coffee whilst writing, and then I mostly write at night = bad combination.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Well, I had a lot of problems either feeling like I was spinning while trying to go to sleep or waking up with veritgo or having sleep interrupted with sleep paralysis and it helped me, but hey I am certainly not trying to advise anyone else about what to do, just saying what helped me. May the doxylamine succinate doesn't produce "good sleep", but it certainly produces a better sleep than what I was getting and the side effects are minimal which I can't say for the No-Goes the doctor put me on two years ago! :eek:
does it ever feel like the wall and the floor are switching places?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I used to have trouble going to sleep when I was younger. Now I pretty much fall asleep a minute (or less) after my head hits the pillow. I guess I just get worn out by normal life now. I also exercise fairly regularly and don't drink much caffeine, neither of which was true when I was younger.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
Thanks. I try to do most of those, caffeine kicks my ass though. I like to drink coffee whilst writing, and then I mostly write at night = bad combination.

Yes, caffeine is probably the issue here.

I only allow myself 2 cups of tea per day. Feeling tranquil sure beats feeling like you're coked up.

heart

heart on fire
Caffiene does make it easier to get Ne going for writing and such.