• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

How do you sleep N's?

Snail

MBTI Type
INFP
1)Valerian root can help with mild insomnia but isn't potent enough to be reliable.
2)Melatonin tablets are good for more severe insomnia but are slightly more risky since melatonin is something naturally produced by your pineal gland, and taking supplements may alter your natural chemical balance.
3)A single puff of marijuana right before lying down is reliable and effective for preventing insomnia, nightmares and sleep paralysis. This can also be used in the middle of the night after there has already been a problem to prevent recurrance of nightmares and sleep paralysis attacks. I'm not sure if it's the same for others, but for me, such things usually happen in clusters, and it is extremely comforting to have a small amount somewhere near your bed where it can be reached easily in case of emergencies. (This seems to be the ideal cure, but it's expensive, illegal, and isn't always available. It's also hard on the lungs, so if you are going to try this treatment, I recommend investing in a small water bong to minimize the discomfort, especially if you aren't used to smoking anything.)

I might have to try what Heart recommended to see if it's more effective, although my tendency is to prefer natural remedies whenever possible because I am always somewhat concerned about the health risks and side-effects of man-made drugs.

Maabus1999

MBTI Type
INTJ
Do any other N's, have an innate ability to be completely UNable to sleep, while simultaneously being able to sleep for days on end?

I find it nearly impossible to shut my mind off to go to sleep, but when it is shut off, it is OFF. I then hate getting up again unless I have had a very lengthy sleep (At least 8 hours).

I've been thinking, could this possibly be an N trait? The S's in my life all seem able too:

1) Go to sleep faster.

2) Get up easier with less sleep. In fact, in general they appear to need less sleep than me to function effectively.

As N's (Especially IN's) live more in their heads compared with S's, does this in the long run, take a tole on how much we need to recharge with sleep?

EDIT: My INTP friend also suffers from this, which made me wonder about its causes. In MBTI terms anyhow.

Yes it is an N trait. However when relaxed and I choose to go to sleep, I can go out quickly.

I normally run on 4-5 hours of sleep.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I usually go in cycles of 2 weeks with very little sleep at all followed by a week of sleeping like I'm drugged AND napping on top of that :doh:

I'm in a not sleeping phase at the moment.

It's not that I'm not tired or anything then- it's just that I get distracted by interesting things and feel the need to research them further and then it's something like 3 am by the time I realize what time it is :blush:

The best sleep I get is when my internet is down :doh:

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
yep, N could be a bitch to deal with at night. just can't get your mind off stuff, especially if you're Ne dominant.

'go to sleep, go to sleep... i like kingdom hearts... go to sleep... locke's property right theory does not take account for... i wonder if she likes me.. go to sleep... stop thinking about going to sleep...

go to sleep...'

Enyo

MBTI Type
xNTJ
Do any other N's, have an innate ability to be completely UNable to sleep, while simultaneously being able to sleep for days on end?

I find it nearly impossible to shut my mind off to go to sleep, but when it is shut off, it is OFF. I then hate getting up again unless I have had a very lengthy sleep (At least 8 hours).

I've been thinking, could this possibly be an N trait? The S's in my life all seem able too:

1) Go to sleep faster.

2) Get up easier with less sleep. In fact, in general they appear to need less sleep than me to function effectively.

I'm not sure how much of this is an age thing, but...

I sleep badly. I've slept badly since I moved to this country, and that was over six years ago. I don't sleep the whole night straight through.

In order to fall asleep, I have to have the TV on CNN headline news. (Something about Nancy Grace's southern accent and self-righteousness just puts me to sleep like a light.) Other things will work for falling asleep, but I can't have silence.

I need something to drown out the constant noise in my head.

However, I still need 8 hours of sleep, and it has to be time asleep, not just in bed. So that means that I'm basically in bed for 9 or 10 hours a night, because when I wake up in the middle of the night, I'm awake for up to two hours.

But when I was younger (high school/university age), I could get by with little or no sleep for days. And if I did get to sleep for a regular night, I could sleep straight through.

Enyo

MBTI Type
xNTJ
Does it. :shocking:

Cold turkey time for Caffeine methinks.

*looks for a face that conveys the level of horror*

*fails*

Nope, I couldn't do it. I tried, and lasted three days with the most miserable headache known to mankind.

I think I'd be mainlining my caffeine if I could figure out a way to do it. :p

Funny thing about the "coked up" comment, though.... I get the vast majority of my caffeine from coke. :)

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
You N's trying to claim something that's universal again. Just like that daydreaming thread.

I'LL INSOMNIA ANY OF YOU UNDER THE TABLE ANY NIGHT! :rock:

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
To help me get to sleep: Tv, Lay there for long periods of time, Smoke Pot

How I sleep once I do go out: Moving around constantly, doing the running man parallel to the bed in a very slow fashion, probably hugging the nearest person/pillow to me as I throw the covers off violently. No joke.
Or if I'm really tired, I don't even move a muscle. But that only happens after like 2 days being awake, or a really physically taxing day

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I rarely have any problems sleeping. If I do have a problem, it's caused by either a crappy bed or emotional distress.

I've experienced insomnia only once in my life (January of this year, went on for over a week), and it was horrible!

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I've had trouble sleeping since i was about 10. Like Heart, i've also suffered from sleep paralysis. It's interrupted many, many nights of sleep for me. I also can't turn my brain off. Sometimes i go days without sleep, and it really gets to me.

ring the bell

I love my sleep... I have to have 8 hours a night. But it takes me FOREVER to get there. I have to have some ambient noise, such as fans, but TV or music will just keep me up. I have to plan ahead at least for a couple of hours each night.

And if I'm worked up over something? Well, I can just forget about getting more than a couple of hours sleep that night...

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I didn't have to worry about it every day, I'd sleep between 12 and 16 hours. This of course would be because I'd finally have time to do all my thinking instead of it infecting my sleep time!!! :steam:

MBTI Type
INxJ

Yes. Story of my life until the last few years.

I use to forget to eat and didn't exercise. I realized I functioned better when I ate everyday and exercised a few times a week. My sleep and energy levels overall, became more stable. I still have insomnia sometimes when I'm thinking too much or have a project to complete. Otherwise, I'm good.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

1) Go to sleep faster.

As N's (Especially IN's) live more in their heads compared with S's, does this in the long run, take a tole on how much we need to recharge with sleep?

EDIT: My INTP friend also suffers from this, which made me wonder about its causes. In MBTI terms anyhow.

I usually get to sleep pretty fast (<1 min) unless I've got something on my mind or am expecting to have trouble or am forcing myself to sleep in preparation for the next day. I also wake up right away. *shrug*

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I usually spend 30-45 minutes thinking on a good night before I actually fall asleep. Lately it's taken 1-2 hours to actually sleep and quiet my mind. I find when I'm able to control my thoughts enough to where I can daydream while lying there, my mind naturally meshes the stage 1 sleep images with the daydream and I start to fall asleep.

I know I have a terrible time sleeping when there's a light on. Figured that out my sophmore year of college with a roommate who would leave the light on in the room all night. Would annoy me to no end, because I just couldn't make my mind rest will all those little sounds she'd make in addition to the light. Eventually, I started trying to hypnotise myself into sleeping. As in, sitting there thinking, "I'm relaxed. Every muscle is relaxed. I cannot move I am so relaxed. Now I'm tired. My thoughts are sluggish. I'm falling asleep....and so on..." It helped because it made me focus more on relaxing and less on how much I wished I could bash my roommate's lamp.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Like Jeff, I'm usually okay once I get to sleep and I sleep soundly, but getting to sleep is the hard part. Right now a very small dose of melatonin and an audiobook via headphones seem to do the trick.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't try to keep myself from thinking in order to fall asleep, but I'll think about whatever and at the same time make an effort to try and "see" with my eyes closed, it's kind of like looking at the back of your eyelids. I will see soft colors and vague shapes floating by.

I will feel myself drifting and will all of the sudden see realistic imagery that usually has something to do with what I was thinking about, this might happen a couple times, then I drift off for the night, or at least a few hours. It works for me. And smoking a little weed helps too, I read it increases or does something with melatonin.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Heh. Are they SJ's maybe? I have loads of trouble getting to sleep (and waking up), so does my little brother and my son (all SPs.)

It's just a different kind of restlessness I think. While you say you have trouble shutting off your mind, I have trouble shutting off my body.

My mom (INFJ) can go to sleep instantly, but she wakes up a lot throughout the night, whereas I'm awake until I pass out, but once I'm out, I'm dead until I'm yanked out of it by the cruel morning.

Dude, yeah, grrr!!! I totally went to sleep at, well, whenever I did - like 1 am. And I kept waking up and going back to sleep and waking up and going back to sleep then I woke up at 6 am and couldn't get back to sleep. WTF?!

Ahhh well, that's okay because tonight I'll probably pass out and HOPEFULLY sleep the night through. :rolleyes:

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP

You can hypnotize yourself to sleep. Close your eyes and imagine base diving into a sink hole somewhere in the Amazon. In your mind you want to keep falling and falling. Focus your attention either on an imaginary third eye or on counting down from 100. You want to keep your mind clear apart from that imagry of falling. Try not to fall asleep--you will fall asleep. It's perfectly safe. You do pretty much that without realizing it (without the imagry) every night. With enough practice you will actually reach quite a deep state of hypnosis without falling asleep. When you get to that stage you can simply tell yourself to fall into a deep peaceful sleep and wake refreshed at 8:00am or whatever time you like. You'll be surprised at how you are able to wake at precisely that time without an alarm clock.

You could also try meditation which is basically the same as what I described, except the goal is to keep your mind clear. I think of meditation as defragging short term memory. Your short term memory gets full of all sorts of crap (overwhelmed) which causes stress.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I sleep well. Max 8 hours, min 7 hours, rarely above or below. I exercise daily for at least one hour and 15 minutes, I both go to school and work. Perhaps that's enough to consume my energy.

Whenever I have nothing to do, my reaction is to become bored and more sleepy rather than less.