• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

23 signs you are secretly a narcissist masquerading as a sensitive introvert

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
23 Signs You’re Secretly a Narcissist Masquerading as a Sensitive Introvert - Beautiful Minds - Scientific American Blog Network

Thoughts? Do you know people like this? (Let's not name names or call people out, I'm asking more in general.)

Are YOU like this? ;) Feel free to take the mini test and post your score. Average for college students is mid 60s. Below 40 you're not very narcissistic (everyone has particular concerns about oneself). Above 82 or so, you might be a covert narcissist. Above 97 you almost certainly ARE.

What types (Enneagram or MBTI or other) does it correlate with? I think it aligns fairly closely with disintegrating type 4s, whose chief vice is "envy".

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

hah! in your face

so its mid range

___ I feel that I am temperamentally different from most people.

been told this by multiple people

___ When I enter a room I often become self-conscious and feel that the eyes of others are upon me.

always have felt this way, but not because they think i'm great but because they think i'm a freak

___ I dislike being with a group unless I know that I am appreciated by at least one of those present.

who isn't like this? why would anyone like being in a group that everyone hates them?

___ My secret thoughts, feelings, and actions would horrify some of my friends.

considering that 9 out of 10 times when i share them they are horrified

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

From my readings on the subject, most narcissists are children of narcissists. Overall, children of narcissists tend to become co-dependent or narcissists.

My dad is a covert narcissist and my mom an overt one.

My INFJ sis and I are co-dependents, while my ENP sibs are narcissists to varying degrees.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=25377]SearchingforPeace[/MENTION], my father may have NPD.

Lark

I bought a book today which, disturbingly, goes beyond the old idea that there's possibly a benign narcissism but that everyone can be located upon a narcissism scale and that you should in fact adopt narcissism of the benign sort to feel better because when people feel better (so far I think this means superior) about themselves they wont suffer from neuroticism or depression.

WTF.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
27... I'm not covertly a narcissist... I quite openly express my narcissistic thoughts to others whenever they cross my mind :cool:

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
27... I'm not covertly a narcissist... I quite openly express my narcissistic thoughts to others whenever they cross my mind :cool:

I did wonder if an extremely low score meant you were an overt narcissist...:D

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I did wonder if an extremely low score meant you were an overt narcissist...:D

your question has now been answered! :laugh:

I have definitely made a public announcement within the past few days of "I'm fucking awesome!"

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

A lot on this list has to do with doubting yourself and never having been taught/had the opportunity to learn any proper parameters for gauging what is 'normal' and how to make that work for you making one self-conscious in the presence of others, it seems. Other items appear to touch on not having the skills mastered to run your life efficiently, causing you to not have energy left over for others.

That would basically boil down to not having had a chance to obtain the skills to maintain your own internal household, making it impossible to take on the world(and others) on top of that. The envy then comes from the frustration of not being able to do what seems to come so so naturally to others.

In that respect, it would certainly apply to both codependents and narcissists, though those two are very opposite survival strategies to cope with a similarly difficult situation.

á´…eparted

passages

I am NOT nice to covert narcissists, snd very frequently they are the first people I will rid myself of or force out.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I think I only scored on the low side because of the wording of some questions. I don't feel that I'm temperamentally different from most people, but I do feel fundamentally different than most people. And in terms of #15, I do sometimes have fantasies about being violent, but I know why.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

I think I only scored on the low side because of the wording of some questions. I don't feel that I'm temperamentally different from most people, but I do feel fundamentally different than most people. And in terms of #15, I do sometimes have fantasies about being violent, but I know why.

what's the difference? i might need to change my answer to that one.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
what's the difference? i might need to change my answer to that one.

Well, from what I understand temperament has to do with personality. So I don't think my personality is that different from anyone else's. Or my way of expression. Or the things I feel or think or anything like that. But fundamentally, I guess, the part of me that makes me human, that is innately me in a spiritual way I suppose, feels a little bit more wrong in myself than it is when I catch glimpses of it in others. And in that way it's different.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Well, from what I understand temperament has to do with personality. So I don't think my personality is that different from anyone else's. Or my way of expression. Or the things I feel or think or anything like that. But fundamentally, I guess, the part of me that makes me human, that is innately me in a spiritual way I suppose, feels a little bit more wrong in myself than it is when I catch glimpses of it in others. And in that way it's different.
oh then i do need to change my answer to one i thought it meant not level headed led largely by emotions or feel out of place in time playing the Sims will retake after

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
oh then i do need to change my answer to one i thought it meant not level headed led largely by emotions or feel out of place in time playing the Sims will retake after

Have fun! I love The Sims.

Edit: Your interpretation could always be more right than mine, but it's just a survey after all. :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Have fun! I love The Sims.

Edit: Your interpretation could always be more right than mine, but it's just a survey after all. :D

But it called me a narcissist

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My score was 55.

I like to be appreciated, and I can get VERY wrapped up in my own issues and concerns. But TBH that's less about narcissism, and more about being an only child.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I only scored 68. Weak!

"I easily become wrapped up in my own interests and forget the existence of others."

I've been thinking of adding that to my list of things to improve on. Like, I should try to care about what other people care about. Bleh. Maybe faking it is good enough.