• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Gullible and False Beliefs

Mole

Permabanned
We are meaning creating animals, and so we act on meaning.

The meaning we act on is called beliefs. So beliefs matter.

During the Western Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries we discovered that evidence and reason can determine which of our beliefs correspond to reality and which do not.

So we now know that astrology and mbti, no matter what their charms, do not correspond to reality.

So who is it that believe in astrology or mbti?

There are two main groups who believe in astrology and mbti. They are school children and, surprisingly, women.

It is easy to understand how school children have these false beliefs. It is because their physical brains are not fully grown until about the age of 22. And so school children are inclined to believe what is plausible, particularly if it is taught to them by an authority figure, such as a parent, a teacher, a priest, rabbi, or mullah, a celebrity, or their peer group.

False beliefs are a surprise in women, but hard to deny, when almost all women's magazines have a section on astrology at the back, often over a number of pages.

So school children are inclined to believe what is plausible, taught by authority figures. School children believe what is plausible for physical reasons, as their brains are not fully grown. But the brains of grown women are fully developed. So why are grown women as gullible as school children?

Grown women are as gullible as school children not for physical reasons but for social reasons.

Yes, women live in a patriarchal society where women are infantilised. How many times do we hear grown women called, "baby"?

á´…eparted

passages
I've read this several times now to try and "get it" and this is... really misogynistic now that I think about it. The many many falsehoods in this topic notwithstanding, that's actually pretty damn surprising to see coming from you.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've read this several times now to try and "get it" and this is... really misogynistic now that I think about it. The many many falsehoods in this topic notwithstanding, that's actually pretty damn surprising to see coming from you.
Mole does have a point. Women are infantilised, even in western society, taught to rely on men rather than developing their own capabilities.

During the Western Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries we discovered that evidence and reason can determine which of our beliefs correspond to reality and which do not.

So we now know that astrology and mbti, no matter what their charms, do not correspond to reality.

There are two main groups who believe in astrology and mbti. They are school children and, surprisingly, women.
So in the spirit of relying on evidence and reason, what data do you have to support the highlighted assertions? I mean beyond the anecdotal evidence of whatever women's magazines you have perused lately.

á´…eparted

passages
Mole does have a point. Women are infantilised, even in western society, taught to rely on men rather than developing their own capabilities.

Oh this is very true, and I agree. The OP does not angle it this way though, and it seems angled to me as a swipe at women (intentional or not). There's a difference between "women are given the short end of the stick because of the way the world is set up" and "women are ineffective and fall prey to "falsehoods"".

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh this is very true, and I agree. The OP does not angle it this way though, and it seems angled to me as a swipe at women (intentional or not). There's a difference between "women are given the short end of the stick because of the way the world is set up" and "women are ineffective and fall prey to "falsehoods"".
But see - they are both true. Part of this short end of the stick is that women are often not raised to be able to be able to reason effectively. That is something they rely on a man for.

á´…eparted

passages
But see - they are both true. Part of this short end of the stick is that women are often not raised to be able to be able to reason effectively. That is something they rely on a man for.

Ok I see what you're saying. I really don't like the idea of saying "women are ineffective" though. It sounds cruel, and at face value is false, if just for the fact that it's a blanket statement. The way you say it, that women are sometimes raised to not be effective as they could be, is the much better way to say it.

As you know, I am picky with the way people explain things. Something could be right, but if it's written in an uncaring, callous, or needlessly cold way to the point where it distracts the meaning and point I tend to get pretty ticked off.

My point is the OP did not convey that well at all, and I still stand by my assertion that it's misongynistic.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The perfect ISFJ

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Belief is something that has not been verified, once verified it becomes either fact or fiction. So there is no correct or false beliefs, just beliefs. = this topic is nonsense. No?

ZNP-TBA

Privileged Sh!tlord
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx

It's not misogynistic if it's been an observable fact.
Why Believing In Astrology Is Not As Harmless As You Think

Misogyny seems like one of these smoke screen words to shield sensitive topics from real debates.

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
Why are you even posting on the forum at all if you actually believe what you posted?

great_bay

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Here's a better statement

Why post in a forum at all if you don't believe in anything you say?

Mole

Permabanned
Here's a better statement

Why post in a forum at all if you don't believe in anything you say?

Propaganda is neither true nor false, rather it is plausible.

Unfortunately the great temptation among propagandists is to believe their own propaganda.

And so it is quite natural for propagandists to believe their propaganda for astrology and mbti, after all both are plausible.

And both astrology and mbti are plausible because they pander to us. They make us feel good, so naturally we think they must be good. As indeed, when we feel good, we believe we are good.

However the antidote to astrology is astronomy, and the antidote to mbti is psychometrics.

Mole

Permabanned
Why are you even posting on the forum at all if you actually believe what you posted?

Both astrology and mbti are false beliefs that pander to the gullible.

We can see that astrology and mbti are false beliefs by studying astronomy and psychometrics.

It does though require high moral intelligence to see that it is wrong to pander to the gullible.

And those without high moral intelligence take advantage of the gullible.

And those with high moral intelligence know it is their duty to defend the vulnerable and the gullible from the predators who prey upon them.

Lark

Victor when you use the term "we" who are you meaning? Who are you speaking for besides yourself?

Likewise, why, in all the years that I've been visiting TypoC, do you always produce threads hating on people?

I mean there's a lot of things about your posts I've singled out before, the generalisations with little authority, which are so similar to the "we speak", the poorly conceived or misremembered "bits and pieces", which leaves me with the impression that the saying about "a little learning is a dangerous thing" is correct.

I reckon it would be a better idea to move away from the identifying an "other" and encouraging everyone to leap on the "hater train".

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

I can reason better than a lot of people who claim they can reason well so there's that

GIjade

MBTI Type
INFJ
Both astrology and mbti are false beliefs that pander to the gullible.

We can see that astrology and mbti are false beliefs by studying astronomy and psychometrics.

It does though require high moral intelligence to see that it is wrong to pander to the gullible.

And those without high moral intelligence take advantage of the gullible.

And those with high moral intelligence know it is their duty to defend the vulnerable and the gullible from the predators who prey upon them.

Victor, why did you change your name to Mole?

And, as usual, I don't understand your post.

Mole

Permabanned
Here we criticise beliefs but not persons.

Some of us give into temptation and criticise persons. This is a result of ressentiment.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
OP sounds like he is sixteen and just read 'Catcher In The Rye' or smoked some of the good stuff. :D

Lark

OP sounds like he is sixteen and just read 'Catcher In The Rye' or smoked some of the good stuff. :D

You get that vibe dont you?

Although I get that sort of a vibe from most of the internet, and a lot of people of all age groups besides, a lot of the time when I hear people railing against this or that vaguery I wonder if they've thought seriously about the extent to which they are or are becoming the thing they are attacking.

So you get people attacking wholesale any and all moral authorities as dehumanised or dehumanising without thinking that in doing so they're going to shortly constitute a moral authority themselves and what will it mean that its got the character they've given it.

So much unconscious or unreflective behaviour but I'm not sure its the same as false beliefs per se, I think they are sincerely held and true to those holding them and they're very capable of exercising a pseudo-scientific confirmation bias if its called for, and I think describing it as associated with gullibility has an emotional charge which is unhelpful anyhow.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
We are meaning creating animals, and so we act on meaning.

It is easy to understand how school children have these false beliefs. It is because their physical brains are not fully grown until about the age of 22. And so school children are inclined to believe what is plausible, particularly if it is taught to them by an authority figure, such as a parent, a teacher, a priest, rabbi, or mullah, a celebrity, or their peer group.

False beliefs are a surprise in women, but hard to deny, when almost all women's magazines have a section on astrology at the back, often over a number of pages.

So school children are inclined to believe what is plausible, taught by authority figures. School children believe what is plausible for physical reasons, as their brains are not fully grown. But the brains of grown women are fully developed. So why are grown women as gullible as school children?

Grown women are as gullible as school children not for physical reasons but for social reasons.

Yes, women live in a patriarchal society where women are infantilised. How many times do we hear grown women called, "baby"?

Dude, I am surprised you are still on here. Talk about staying power.

What is the reason? Some sense of misguided moral superiority? You are lucky it is 1.45am in the morning and the 27th of December or I might be tempted to psychoanalyse the shit out of you.