• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Gullible and False Beliefs

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Here's a better statement

Why post in a forum at all if you don't believe in anything you say?

Because it makes him feel better?

You cannot reason with a closed mind but that is another matter entirely.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You get that vibe dont you?

Although I get that sort of a vibe from most of the internet, and a lot of people of all age groups besides, a lot of the time when I hear people railing against this or that vaguery I wonder if they've thought seriously about the extent to which they are or are becoming the thing they are attacking.

So you get people attacking wholesale any and all moral authorities as dehumanised or dehumanising without thinking that in doing so they're going to shortly constitute a moral authority themselves and what will it mean that its got the character they've given it.

So much unconscious or unreflective behaviour but I'm not sure its the same as false beliefs per se, I think they are sincerely held and true to those holding them and they're very capable of exercising a pseudo-scientific confirmation bias if its called for, andI think describing it as associated with gullibility has an emotional charge which is unhelpful anyhow

It's easy for trains of thought to go into tunnels.

Reminds me of The Graduate when he drove into the tunnel and the radio shut off. Then came back after he left it.

It is easy to lose the bigger perspective. To not hear anything else.

The bolded is a sign to me of a young but bright intellect. Buried in ego, not fully fleshed out by experience.

Mole

Permabanned
False Belief and Suffering

Many here have the false belief that it is acceptable to criticise persons rather than beliefs.

Of course Typology Central lends itself to the false belief that criticising persons is kosher.

Typology Central says it devoted to the study of personality so it is very easy to misinterpret this as to mean the study of individual persons.

So with this misinterpretation combined with emotional repression and generalised ressentiment leads to the false belief that our psychological pain can be removed by criticising an individual.

Of course the neurotic criticism of an individual does not remove the emotional pain, so the neurotics seek to validate their neurosis by ganging up on an individual.

Unfortunately this all makes their suffering worse.

And it misleads new comers to think that the false belief of neurosis in company is the solution to their suffering.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You don't like people not agreeing with you or seeing things the way you see it? All right. Fair enough. You're feelings are hurt.

So they have neurosis and somehow you're above that? Because of some intangible quality of pseudo enlightenment you feel you have reached.

All right. I'll play that game.
Criticism has no other basis other than as an outlet for neurosis. Just realize your response to it outs you in the same way.

Mole

Permabanned
You don't like people not agreeing with you or seeing things the way you see it? All right. Fair enough. You're feelings are hurt.

So they have neurosis and somehow you're above that? Because of some intangible quality of pseudo enlightenment you feel you have reached.

All right. I'll play that game.
Criticism has no other basis other than as an outlet for neurosis. Just realize your response to it outs you in the same way.

Rather than having some intangible quality of pseudo enlightenment, I am fortunate to have the Scottish and English Enlightenment as my heritage.

The Western Enlightenment gave us evidence and reason, so if we listen to our neurosis and then apply reason, we can start to cure our neurosis.

Personal attacks only keep us mired in our neuroses.