• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Flashbacks of old dreams

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Does anyone else sometimes get sudden memories of old dreams out of nowhere? Like few days ago i was washing dishes and all of a sudden i recalled some dream i had like 2 years ago and had forgotten immediately after waking up. The dream itself had nothing to do(at least seemingly) to what i was doing. I could see this also being some similar thing to deja vu where you think you are recalling some dream, but it wasnt actually a dream. Like something at the moment connecting to some sort of neuron bunch of feeling toned associations(aka an complex), while the brains just rationalize it in a way that it must had been a dream form the past. However most of the times im 99.9995% sure the memory is an actual dream.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That happened to me earlier this year. I was talking with a friend and she said something that triggered a dream I had had about 2 years earlier that was identical in every aspect.

I took that as significant.

When I mean identical, it was to the T. I was in my car (which I didn't even have at the time of the dream), sitting in a large parking lot.

Crazy, I know......

As soon as she said the phrase, the dream popped in my mind and I freaked out a bit....

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
That happened to me earlier this year. I was talking with a friend and she said something that triggered a dream I had had about 2 years earlier that was identical in every aspect.

I took that as significant.

When I mean identical, it was to the T. I was in my car (which I didn't even have at the time of the dream), sitting in a large parking lot.

Crazy, I know......

As soon as she said the phrase, the dream popped in my mind and I freaked out a bit....

I think you are talking about something else than what i did. I mean identical to what? To the situation? If so, then it was just a regular deja vu. I was talking about for example doing dishes and remembering some dream where im in some office and then remembering the dream in the same detail as i did when i woke up from it years ago, even tho i had forgotten it the minute i woke up that day years ago.

Also this is something that happens to me quite often, like once every few days(sometimes maybe few times a day, sometimes i dont even remember for how long since it happened, but on average maybe once every few days) i remember some random dream from ages ago that i had forgotten in some completely unrelated situation.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I sometimes only get "deja vu" experience that I've seen that before..
Sometimes I see a dream of upcoming events and it comes true..

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you are talking about something else than what i did. I mean identical to what? To the situation? If so, then it was just a regular deja vu. I was talking about for example doing dishes and remembering some dream where im in some office and then remembering the dream in the same detail as i did when i woke up from it years ago, even tho i had forgotten it the minute i woke up that day years ago.

Also this is something that happens to me quite often, like once every few days(sometimes maybe few times a day, sometimes i dont even remember for how long since it happened, but on average maybe once every few days) i remember some random dream from ages ago that i had forgotten in some completely unrelated situation.

I realized I was not directly responding to your post the second after I hit "post"....

I rarely remember my dreams (I blame Si in the 8th position, even though I have extremely vivid memories at other times), so this one popping in to recollection was huge. The dream suddenly was in my mind as if I was having it for the first time. My brain wanted to make sure I remembered that the events at the moment had previously been in my dreams......

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
No. I rarely remember having dreams as it is. Deja vu doesn't necessarily involve dreams.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This happens to me often. In the middle of the day, not so often. But almost every night, even though I am not thinking about it, as soon as my head hits my pillow, my brain suddenly picks up from where it left off upon waking up the night before and I suddenly remember what my dream was the previous night, despite having forgotten it seconds after waking up that morning.

á´…eparted

passages
I get this occasionally.

It happens in clusters, and it always happens in the days following a dream involving an elevator.

Sil

This is a test.
Yes.

I also revisit the same locations/settings/scenarios on occasion and continue the story from where I left off (with some minimal time lapses). I've had several dreams that have been continuous individual story lines over the course of decades.

Occasionally, I have trouble distinguishing between dreams and old memories.

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It always scares me a bit, because how do we know we're actually remembering an old dream instead of having a moment of deja vu? As far as I know, deja vu is when a short term memory accidentally burps and gets sent straight to long term memory. How do we know a memory isn't that and is actually an authentic memory?

That scares me and annoys me at the same time. How do we know anything we think we remember or know or feel is actually accurate and not just a brain burp?