• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Culture of Narcissism

Mole

Permabanned
Narcissism is not self love but self hatred, and this self hatred is projected outward onto others and becomes the hatred of others as well as the self. So narcissism is really a form of social hatred.

Narcissists instinctively know this is wrong so they seek each others company to validate and normalise their narcissism.

Social media provides a seed bed and culture to nourish narcissism.

So narcissism has its own tropes such as, I can do what I like if I don't harm anyone, or perhaps, that's judgemental So we have a culture of narcissism, and an economy of narcissism, and its own ideology.

So now the culture of narcissism is taken for granted and goes about doing harm.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Narcissists instinctively know this is wrong so they seek each others company to validate and normalise their narcissism.

Strongly agree, I can think of so many examples and if anyone criticize their behavior then he must be a hater, why do I have to be a hater to stand against a behavior that I find to be wrong and unhealthy?! I am not a hater if you don't behave and take advantage of your fans to bully others and validate your disrespectful behaviors, I wouldn't have a problem with you what so ever..

Lark

I think there's benign and malign narcissism to be honest, although I think the more central question is whether or not its channelled into a having or being mode of existence, I think everything boils down to that single question.

Crabs

Permabanned
I think there's benign and malign narcissism to be honest, although I think the more central question is whether or not its channelled into a having or being mode of existence, I think everything boils down to that single question.

Let me guess. You identify as a benign narcissist?

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Narcissism is not self love but self hatred, and this self hatred is projected outward onto others and becomes the hatred of others as well as the self. So narcissism is really a form of social hatred.

So narcissism has its own tropes such as, I can do what I like if I don't harm anyone, or perhaps, that's judgemental So we have a culture of narcissism, and an economy of narcissism, and its own ideology.

So now the culture of narcissism is taken for granted and goes about doing harm.

I'm sorry, but no. This is bullshit you pulled out of your ass. Not a single thing you just said is correct. Even the parts you accidentally got right are applied incorrectly.

Narcissism is not self-hatred. The only theory that's even remotely related to that is the Adlerian theory that an overwhelming sense of inferiority can cause a person to be arrogant and overconfident due to a reaction formation. That has nothing to do with narcissism. All the way back to when Freud brought it into psychology, he considered it to be a sexual development issue that resulted in the lack of development of the ego ideal. That is, he considered it to be an issue of a person failing to develop past their childish narcissism and into an adult Self that aimed to have a healthy ego.

The consensus of the Empirical researchers is that narcissists 1.) believe they're better than everyone else, 2.) have a distorted perception of themselves within reality, 3.) believe themselves to be capable of more and greater things than the average person, or than they really are, 4.) are completely unique and special, 5.) believe they are selfish, and 6.) tend to be more successful because they put themselves in more positions that lead them to personal gain.

You're just plain wrong that they "know" their beliefs are wrong. They don't know their beliefs are wrong. Narcissism is a distortion of the reality of self. Their reality is literally based around them being better than everyone else.

They hate others, yes, but it's not projection. They consider others inferior and any time they fail at something the only logical conclusion they can make is that it was someone else's fault, because their own self-concept doesn't tolerate imperfection. It's beyond ego-defensive; their actual logic assumes that they aren't wrong, and they make the actual, logical conclusion that it can't be them, so it must be others.

Your last claim just makes no sense. What would taking narcissism for granted (which is just nonsensical by itself) have to do with narcissism being destructive? It's destructive in its own right. What society thinks of it has nothing to do with anything.

Mole

Permabanned
I'm sorry, but no. This is bullshit you pulled out of your ass. Not a single thing you just said is correct. Even the parts you accidentally got right are applied incorrectly.

Narcissism is not self-hatred. The only theory that's even remotely related to that is the Adlerian theory that an overwhelming sense of inferiority can cause a person to be arrogant and overconfident due to a reaction formation. That has nothing to do with narcissism. All the way back to when Freud brought it into psychology, he considered it to be a sexual development issue that resulted in the lack of development of the ego ideal. That is, he considered it to be an issue of a person failing to develop past their childish narcissism and into an adult Self that aimed to have a healthy ego.

The consensus of the Empirical researchers is that narcissists 1.) believe they're better than everyone else, 2.) have a distorted perception of themselves within reality, 3.) believe themselves to be capable of more and greater things than the average person, or than they really are, 4.) are completely unique and special, 5.) believe they are selfish, and 6.) tend to be more successful because they put themselves in more positions that lead them to personal gain.

You're just plain wrong that they "know" their beliefs are wrong. They don't know their beliefs are wrong. Narcissism is a distortion of the reality of self. Their reality is literally based around them being better than everyone else.

They hate others, yes, but it's not projection. They consider others inferior and any time they fail at something the only logical conclusion they can make is that it was someone else's fault, because their own self-concept doesn't tolerate imperfection. It's beyond ego-defensive; their actual logic assumes that they aren't wrong, and they make the actual, logical conclusion that it can't be them, so it must be others.

Your last claim just makes no sense. What would taking narcissism for granted (which is just nonsensical by itself) have to do wirth narcissism being destructive? It's destructive in its own right. What society thinks of it has nothing to do with anything.

I am referring to, The Culture of Narcissism, by Christopher Lasch.

To read it click on - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0...0NTBhLThhYzctM2NkM2EzZWUwYzdi&sort=name&pli=1