• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Types of Details Do You Remember?

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm doing a Scrubs binge on Netflix and I remember certain pieces of certain episodes. And certain story lines. But don't remember specific lines or anything like that. I'm horrible during those times when people recite movie and TV lines. It's probably because I usually watch things once unless it's really really good.

I'm horrible with names, but I do remember faces very very well. I like people (not the F kind of like) but I find them a very interesting study. Work is like a lab for me. So within my lab I do notice changes to a person's face - like a haircut, or a shave, glasses, braces, etc. I don't notice and remember what they are wearing though.

I don't memorize exact words, but a the gist or theme. So I suck at stories because I'm terrible at the build-up. I'll kill you with a one liner, however :2ar15:

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
I have very selective memory, and I'll remember peculiar details or traits, but anything repetitive (which usually means more relevant) I'm out of luck. I'll remember people's unusual names including the spelling, but Chris, Matt, Mike, and other people with common names will take me multiple reminders to associate the name with the right person. :shrug:

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I tend to remember conversations really well, both online and in person. On the Internet, I often mention shit like "Remember when you said..." and then people are shocked I remember it and doubt it's real. Then I pull it up, and it was in fact, real.

Also, I remember almost every word that was said about me. From compliments to insults to neutral statements that nobody should care about. I'm self-absorbed and take deep interest in what anyone says in reference to me, and then stew over each comment. Due to the amount of thought I give over-analyzing everything that people say about me, it's no surprise that it sticks to my mind.

I'm better than the average person at matching faces to names and vice versa, even after only meeting a person once. I'm fucking horrible at remembering clothes, though.

I think this is everyone who goes through bad shit, but I remember traumatic moments very clearly (yeah, I know they're fabricated, but I can experience them like they just happened and then they're paralyzing).

3. I've recently discovered after watching several reruns of shows that my memory is extremely selective as well. I remember every feeling that is expressed in words and expression. I remember what people said that had emotional impact.

Anything show or movie related is what I'm worst at remembering. It never seems to stick to my memory.

To make up for that, it's not perfect, but I have a pretty good memory for how songs sound after hearing them only once, unless they're very generic or boring.

4. There is also internal memory of your own imaginative experiences, and that is something I can remember more easily than some external events.

However, I'm pretty good at this.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm the walking encyclopedia in my family. "How does she remember that stuff?!". I tend to remember my first experiences of everything. I remember my first phone call at work two months ago-the name of the customer I took, the silly name I put down before that "Eam", how I froze two times in a row throwing the phone to the manager. I also misheard "Gage" as "Tage." . I also remember my favorite shows pretty well, I remember the lines mostly and even if I can't remember the exact lines everything comes back to me when I rewatch it. Song lyrics are pretty easy too. If we're going out to eat, I usually remember what everyone eats for some reason. As a geography nerd too, I can remember the names of lots of cities and how big they are and fun facts about little places. There isn't a particularly detail I'm bad at, except clothes for some reason(unless they really stand out to me) or phone numbers. I also struggle to match facts with other facts sometimes. Like I'll remember some fun fact about a place, but not know a name, or know a place name but not recall anything special about it and it's annoying. Does this have anything to do with learning styles? I've realized that if I remember a conversation, all the details around me become more vivid.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't typically, I generally am too self absorbed to be attentive and tend to remember things in general terms rather than specifics since I tend to be primarily in a "sleep" or "inwards" sort of state 95% of the time. Even names or faces often immediately get zapped from my memory. The only times I recall things in detail is if that thing broke me out of that dissociated state, like particularly interesting parts of a conversation or that the alarm rang at exactly 3:47 rather than 3:45 or "around 4 sort of shit" or maybe some weird taste I encounter that really "strikes me." I'll often remember random facts about interests in a decent deal of depth (ie. typology, the intricate aspects of my storylines/world I've built), but never to the point of being a "walking encyclopedia" (and I'm often a bit jealous of those who have that talent).

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My memory is weird. I have great movie memory though. The only show to ever challenge me was Game of thrones, because I suck at remembering names. I am however, keen on remembering actions, personality, and motivations. So I guess I just remember just enough to see the big picture play out. But not enough to remember every detail.

Outside of media, I absorb all information quite well. Meaning ill understand how things happen, and why. Just not the details of everything involved. This is how I passed high school, but never studied.

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
My memory is weird. I have great movie memory though. The only show to ever challenge me was Game of thrones, because I suck at remembering names. I am however, keen on remembering actions, personality, and motivations. So I guess I just remember just enough to see the big picture play out. But not enough to remember every detail.

Outside of media, I absorb all information quite well. Meaning ill understand how things happen, and why. Just not the details of everything involved. This is how I passed high school, but never studied.

This is very much like myself. I was first going to reply to this thread topic saying I don’t remember details much at all, or, the details I do remember seem to never matter in day to day life, but the more accurate reflection on my memory recall is essentially that I seem to only know the gist of things, or, the big picture behind it all, the “why?” or “so what?”. Thinking about the selective nature of this really, shouldn’t surprise me either thinking about it now, as that IS how I often absorb information from the get go. I feel like as soon as I gather just enough information I need to know how it fits into the bigger picture or my greater understanding of the world, then the rest of the lecture, reading, or whathaveyou, is “meh” importance. While the lecture or whatever is still on-going, my reception will shut off automatically and my mind will begin branching out to tangients and other thoughts incorporating that new data.

Shoot, ok, I take back my initial thoughts on this thread topic. I’d say my memory recall is pretty strong as it aligns perfectly with my natural inclinations towards learning. Detail absorption and recall in this then, is really good. Just not the “details” most probably think of when answering this thread.

-side note: the thought process above is why I don’t response to many more threads as I tend to do exactly what I’ve described and by the time I finish reading the OP, my answer is often far beyond the scope and no longer relevant hahaha...someone shoot me now :doh: