• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

OCD patients have significantly higher pain tolerance than healthy individuals

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0005791612000249

Emotional distress and pain tolerance in obsessive-compulsive disorder

Dianne M. Hezela, Bradley C. Riemannb, Richard J. McNallya

Abstract

Background and objectives

Physical pain can reduce emotional distress, perhaps especially the psychic pain of guilt. This implies that people who continually experience guilt may exhibit greater tolerance for pain relative to people who do not.

Highlights

â–º We assessed emotional distress and physical pain tolerance in individuals with OCD. â–º OCD groups did not differ in level of guilt, distress tolerance, or pain endurance. â–º OCD subjects had higher shame and guilt and lower pride than did healthy subjects. â–º OCD subjects endured pain significantly longer than did healthy subjects. â–º OCD subjects may endure pain longer because of negative self-referential emotions.

very interesting

So at least there's one good thing about my OCD lol. I suppose.

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It's an interesting article, although I didn't experience that at all. I have OCD, but my pain tolerance is pretty high. Maybe I trained it that way though, as I don't like drawing attention to myself and making weird faces outside the usual happy ones would.