• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

forum self v real life

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think I am pretty similar.
The major difference is offline I am more likely to immediately withdraw or change the subject when it comes to conflicting things rather than butt my head in.

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, on forums, I actually talk, and I can't say the same for real life.

I have a lot of insecurities about my physical appearance, so it's great that I can pretty much completely forget about that when making a post in my forum that's not a picture of myself (which I rarely post).

I think as pretty much everyone here, I'm definitely more willing to talk about private things (save for information such as my name, address, and phone number) on a forum than in person. This means I'm more open about vulnerable matters such as emotional triggers, anxiety, depression, etc.

Sadly, the bad thing is I can be much more of an asshole on the Internet than I am in person. I'm pretty blunt when I do talk, but on the Internet, I definitely give myself less room to overthink everything I say. Being less judgmental of my own words can be a wonderful thing as stated in the line above, but that means I forget to filter out mean and unnecessary comments at times.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I am practically the same person. It used to be that way, but being on a forum doesn't make me much more talkative. I answer thread questions of course, but I'm still really awkward when actually talking to other members and I wish I wasn't. I think I am more open as well emotionally vulnerable, and a bit more blunt(I am a smartass irl, but I wouldn't call it "blunt"), but yeah pretty much the same person.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to be much more extroverted/engaging online, but I don't have much energy anymore and have already said a lot of what I wanted to say, to get things out, over the years.

I guess I'm also more jaded and don't see a lot of the online energy changing much about my day to day life now either. (I think before I expected a lot of communicating with others to result in some kind of real-world engagement or some lasting meaningful contact, but that has not occurred.) I dunno. I guess my expectations have diminished greatly.

But I don't really do much IRL either, as far as engaging people, especially with COVID in place. I pretty much just live in my house with my cats now and don't go out except for groceries, aside from an online gaming group or two for social engagement. I do IM people I work with through the day and also text them, but that is pretty much my social world now.

I think the biggest difference online is I might be blunter and more openly critical / colder than I am in person. IRL, unless you're someone I have vetted, I come across as friendly, low-key, easy-going, and listen well without saying much about myself. I'm more open and self-monitor less if I have a better grasp of who I am dealing with. But I don't tend to want to get into conflicts with people face to face. Online, I'm more willing to just throw something out there if I disagree and if it matters to me.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am quite different in real life. I am a relatively quiet person irl, and rather cheerful if one isn't pissing me off. On the forums, I am much more aggressive, and have a strong presence opposed to real life. Many people have changed their opinions of me after having a few VC's, because they can understand my tone better.

I am also insecure about how I speak, and look IRL. I am even worse at communicating IRL. I can also be a fuck of a lot more offensive IRL, as I usually express my anger more freely. Otherwise, I am really easy going, and like to host and organize get togethers.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Im much quieter irl. Im fairly unemotional seeming, to the point where my mom actually likes sometimes when I show emotion- like cry at a sad movie- because she says it reminds her that I DO have feelings.

On here Im a lot more open. Irl, Im just starting to allow myself to be slightly more open with people. I always figured irl if I was more open Id just give people more ammo to use against me when they were angry. Thats happened. When my dad gets angry he thinks of everything possible he can to throw at you. Like, if I were to share that I like to write with him or that I liked a particular TV show- when he would get angry hed make fun of me for liking those things. So I shut down in a lot of ways irl for a long time.

But, with living alone for a while, I started to feel safer exploring who I was. So now, Im like fuck it. Im going to try to prove to myself that I DESERVE to exist.

So yeah. Im like 1000000% more open on here irl. But it used to be a lot worse

Red Memories

Haunted Echoes
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think I am pretty similar.
The major difference is offline I am more likely to immediately withdraw or change the subject when it comes to conflicting things rather than butt my head in.

omg this was me 3 years ago. XD

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There's some differences, the biggest being expression and level of communication. A lot of people on the forums and discord have expected me to be nearly expressionless, irl that is no the case. My expression style is pretty erratic yes, but in small video interviews I've done people have noted the stark difference in presentation and gregariousness. I'm also not inclined to talk much irl or even explain things, as my best medium of communication by far is typing and writing. I'm more inclined to share different sort of personal information here than irl, though I guess I'm pretty whiny everywhere I go haha.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I am practically the same person. It used to be that way, but being on a forum doesn't make me much more talkative. I answer thread questions of course, but I'm still really awkward when actually talking to other members and I wish I wasn't. I think I am more open as well emotionally vulnerable, and a bit more blunt(I am a smartass irl, but I wouldn't call it "blunt"), but yeah pretty much the same person.

I will add, I think I'm more cheerful in real life than I am here. Frankly, I don't really like being called sweet or cheery or any of that gushy stuff, cause it's not really who I am on the inside. So, I try to repress it around here, although it doesn't stop me from getting called cheerful or light here(which I don't know why I am frankly with all the morbid stuff I post). But in the real world, my interactions are more casual, so I don't have as much of an image to uphold as I do here. My voice is just naturally bubbly and I say "okie dokie" a lot. And yeah, I try to be friendly. I do notice though, my stepmom and my new friend at work talk more bubbly than me so it's like it overrides my bubbliness and I become more subdued and dry sounding.

In real life too, I'm also less emotional, but I'm so quiet that people don't really know what's going on in my head. I suppress a lot of stuff in real life that I feel more at ease talking about here.

Mole

Permabanned
On this net we all have an avatar. Mine is Mole. I also have another avatar here and that is IFNP. And I have another avatar off line called Victor.

Who am I? I am all three, not unlike our triune god.