• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Louder than Words

Cygnus

As tactless as I tend to be, I've often met with hostility for many suggestions I make in conversation. Not the usual hot button shit like guns, feminism and slut shaming. It's often questions about why things like social institutions function the particular way they do, what better outcome might have been achieved had a different historical action been taken. I'm aware they're stupid questions, but I don't see why they don't merit an intelligent answer. I do not care how stupid I look, or likely am. I have no shame. I just want the answer.

Sometimes, not always, the mere calling into question of a certain custom, standard, or institution will generate hostility. Not necessarily a direct "GTFO dumbfuck," more like laughing at the question itself rather than explaining the logic and facts. Someone always gets defensive. Like an unwillingness to condescend + an insecurity at the questioning of a commonly accepted or relied upon fact of reality.

For one, I never mean to imply any system is wrong or an event certainly shouldn't have happened. My uninformed questions seem like I'm provoking them, but for what? A humorous display of their butthurt for me to feast on, because I've touched their mental soft parts? They're already wary of that, so any attempt at this, barring use ofextreme subtlety, is out of the question. If you explain to me the facts of the matter, will that somehow serve to embarrass you? And if you don't have the facts, why bother crusading for what the world already considers acceptable? The predominant point of view already has and will retain the upper hand, so why is any deviation such an urgent threat? There are experts who actually do know the facts who could handle the situation just as well.

Most importantly, why the indignation at a ludicrous suggestion from an individual who quite clearly has no power to make his suggestions a reality? Why the assumption that every word will amount to an action? Isn't it actions that do most of the damage? The assumption seems to be that if anyone catches wind of an incorrect fact or dangerous idea, they'll believe it immediately because they assume this new "source" is somehow right. As if one can't just suspend judgment when a potential "fact" crosses his ears. How does one get an answer without asking a wuestion? You can't observe the whole world yourself.

For anyone wondering, no, my TypeC action has rarely seen what I described above. I know this sounds euphoric as hell, it's just I don't understand how this should be happening. And I don't see any shame in shitting out correct facts that could easily shut down an opponent's argument as if he's internally laughing because you bothered to take his "ridiculous" question seriously. It's like shame and image are more important than actual facts and knowledge. That's an inherently flawed way for prople to be because we're all gonna be pretending to know everything when nons of us do. If none of us do, why hide it? The lie isn't sustainable.

Anyway....whatever your thoughts are. The answer's probably something painfully obvious I just can't fathom caring about.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It sounds like to me, that these people are laughing instead of giving you an answer because they can't answer without contradicting themselves or admitting a flaw in their own way of thinking. It's kind of like hearing someone tell a racist or sexist joke and then asking them to explain it. They get all uncomfortable because internally, they know what they mean, but they don't want to say it out in the open in a clear and understandable way, because that would expose their insecurities. Becoming defensive is another reaction. They're trying to "defend themselves" from someone else's "different" way of thinking and don't appreciate it being "challenged." They must feel as if they don't have to explain themselves because they assume that they've already found the answer, and you asking tough questions might cause them to feel uncertainty when before they had been oh so certain, so they respond by trying to make you feel like you're a joke. Then they feel much better about themselves and their worldview isn't shaken up.

Gawain

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cygnus, you just described my entire childhood. Even as an adult, I occassionaly have this problem. I have no answer, unfortunately. I just learned to soften the blow a little instead of asking things too straightforward. And I'm really good at explaining myself afterward and apologizing when things are misconstrued. It usually works out ok, but I often have to agree to drop the topic with little explanation just to keep the peace.

Duffy

You can only control yourself. You can't control other people's reaction. Kind of a Stoicism type of approach. I'm aware it's cliché and no fucks are given, but I think you can benefit from this.

Xann

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is all about imposing limits on the scope of a social group's or societal lens of examination to prevent distasteful or unanswerable truths from being discovered or attempted to be sought out at the expense of successful reproduction and/or maintaining religious and pro-group beliefs. In any cohesive group of humans there are always those knowingly or unknowingly operating as "enforcers" of the common beliefs of the group and these are usually the ones to react with the most scorn or aggression at the questioner of the status quo. This whole problem is identical, just on a different scale, with how the church dealt with Galileo and countless others in the Middle Ages. Human nature hasn't changed, only our beliefs have. The only reason you encounter this problem more than others is because you operate on a slightly different mental bandwidth than the majority.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I agree with what's been said above -- it's a defense mechanism, against change and in favor of the comfortable establishment.

I'm saddened by the fact that you so frequently are met with that reaction, when you try to bring up ideas like that. It's a sign that you aren't surrounded by very many intellectually curious people. Hopefully your friend group is more willing to explore those sorts of topics.

Cygnus

The only reason you encounter this problem more than others is because you operate on a slightly different mental bandwidth than the majority.
It's a sign that you aren't surrounded by very many intellectually curious people. Hopefully your friend group is more willing to explore those sorts of topics.

I'm not curious, I'd just prefer a quasi-legitimate answer over group mentality clusterfucking. I've tried in the past to seriously inquire into intellectual pursuits, meeting only defeat at the hands of my own laziness. Just to clarify.

The responses I get to this kind of problem fluctuate between "Awwwwwww, soo fooking qewt, he's like a liddle webel nonconformist babby autist, let's shower him with affection for a nonexistent intellectual talent that will never be appreciated in his lifetime" and "lol @ asking that question, [jokes jokes jokes petty jokes that aren't witty or clever at all]." I'm sick of it.

If you want to put this into typology terms, I'd chalk it up to Te/Fi (me) > Fe/Ti ("them"), but I'll spare you.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not curious, I'd just prefer a quasi-legitimate answer over group mentality clusterfucking. I've tried in the past to seriously inquire into intellectual pursuits, meeting only defeat at the hands of my own laziness. Just to clarify.

The responses I get to this kind of problem fluctuate between "Awwwwwww, soo fooking qewt, he's like a liddle webel nonconformist babby autist, let's shower him with affection for a nonexistent intellectual talent that will never be appreciated in his lifetime" and "lol @ asking that question, [jokes jokes jokes petty jokes that aren't witty or clever at all]." I'm sick of it.

If you want to put this into typology terms, I'd chalk it up to Te/Fi > Fe/Ti, but I'll spare you.
I would definitely not chalk it up to that, and WOULD chalk it up to, as I said, intellectual curiosity. And how interested people are in discussing interesting hypotheticals. In the question of "what if X existed instead of Y?" or "why do we have X when we could have Y?" or "why does X matter so much?" I've seen Te-users, Fe-users, etc, engaging in lengthy intellectual conversations about stuff like this before -- e.g. a good ENTJ friend from high school who could talk for hours about alternate history.

If I were to correlate this with a personality system, it would be Big 5, and not MBTI. Specifically how high people score on openness.